Champions League Qualifiers | Page 21 | Vital Football

Champions League Qualifiers

This is crap. Strange substitutions. Limp first half. No one who can really run it into the box and toothless when we get there.

I'm going on the record that Lawwell is solely responsible for this & also for the deep ocean of pish we've accumulated.

£1m a year? Get tae fuck! :emoticon:29

Deila said he went with Ambrose for his experience.......well he didn't show much of it tonight!

It has to be said, if we'd got our finger out a bit more and perhaps got Scepovic and Wakaso in already....it could have made a difference.
It's unfortunate that Tonev has been injured otherwise he could have been a difference maker as well.

We've fucked it up, both in our performances on the nights and in the transfer market! I expect changes in personnel, watch this space for players leaving the club!
We were linked with Javier Aquino earlier in the window, I saw clips of him playing on loan at Rayo Vallecano against Atletico Madrid and he was taking the piss out of the Atletico Madrid LB and the team in general, he made it look easy with his pace and skill, caused them all sorts of problems. Remember, this is Atletico Madrid, La Liga winners and CL finalists! It immediately raises the question, why the hell did we not try harder to sign a player like that?

Oh.....there is 1 positive though. We're now in the Europa League so still some European football. This is probably better for Deila as it will allow him to learn this season for a challenge at the CL group stages next season.

My dad made an excellent point this morning, last night was the perfect example of where we miss a player like Samaras! His pace and power would have made a huge difference!

The board could not have fucked this up any worse. They could have moved faster and gotten a couple of key players in, but instead they choose to wait on the miracle progression to the group stage with a depleted squad and a neophyte manager before spending anything. They wag a finger about financial prudence and point across town to Ibrox and say that they must be smart businessmen. But they aren't.

Smart businessmen understand opprtunity cost. Since they don't know what that is, I'll definte it for them. " The cost of an alternative that must be forgone in order to pursue a certain action. Put another way, the benefits you could have received by taking an alternative action." The alternative action is going into a potentially lucrative not as a spendthrift fool, but at least prepared. This team is wretched with mediocrity and it's obvious to anyone who has ever watched the game. Yet they thought, either through arrogance or ignorance, they they could make it through and win the CL cash. Then we would spend maybe a third of it and waltz through the league.

This is shocking stupidity. :emoticon:90

Can't really argue with that welch!

I don't really blame Deila for this debacle though. He got it wrong against Legia and he's admitted that, crucially he did actually learn from it against Maribor, that much was evident. What was missing was quality within the players he had to choose from.
Deila has inherited a team that lacks pace (with the exception of Forrest who's normally injured), a team that's only power is in VVD and a general lack of quality to even pass and move on a football pitch! That last one was a problem even with Lennon in charge. Lennon somehow found a way to overcome the lack of pace most of the time.

I still don't like the whole 1 up front system though. Wingers are wingers for a reason, they're not good enough at finishing to be strikers and they're not good enough at defending to be midfielders or fullbacks. So while we play one up front and a winger either side, the striker would need to be a Gary Hooper style striker who's going to get you a shed load of goals each season in order for it to work.
We'd be far better off playing 2 up front, and that doesn't include Commons playing as a striker because that just doesn't work either.

The answer, at least in SPL games in Stokes and Gritfiths together up front. One striker never works. Samaras could occasionally pull it off but I've rarely seen success. Now it seems Scepovic is having second thoughts, having seen the embarrassment that was the Maribor match.

Here's something Lawwell doesn't understand. When you pay pish, lose big games, make a mockery of the club in Europe and crash out of the Champions League, players don't want to sign. So if you only spend IF you qualify, well the rest becomes self fulfilling. He's a total douche bag.

Latest Celtic News