Callum Lang | Vital Football

Callum Lang

Greeny978

Vital Youth Team
What you reckon is the best course of action for him?

Been reading a few comments and Oldham fans seem to think very highly of him and sorry to see him go. Now obviously the step up between League 1 to the Championship is high and seems to be getting further each season thanks to the money from the Premier League and in particular relegated Premier League teams spreading around the Championship, never mind the jump from League 2, so should we:

A) Keep him on as a back-up striker as we have very few, as well as being next seasons 'Macca' in that he will fill the home-grown spot instead of Evans who hasn't shown he can be a season long backup keeper, allowing us to loan/buy another keeper. The risk is if he fails to impress then he won't be playing many games and could be unhappy, considering he had a little tantrum this pre-season around his contract that could be an issue. On the other end he won't take up much financially and is a risk worth taking as long as it doesn't negatively affect the dressing room. As mentioned the jump between League 2 and Championship is massive, as we have seen with Bogle, but the jump is small in compared to the under 18's with Weir and Gelhardt, especially at our current category. Although Gelhardt did show promising signs against Birmingham, albeit it was a 'nothing game'.

B) Loan him to a League 1 club, quite possibly until January to see if he can make the step up. This would mean we would have no appropriate player to fill the home-grown rule, on top of that I believe his contract ends next season, so he could well be off by then considering the issues we had this season, unless his attitude has changed. This wouldn't be a problem if he fails to impress but if he does and knows he can get regular football, then I don't see him staying with us.

C) Sell him while he is still young and somewhat in a good light. I don't see us getting much for him but would be better than nothing, especially if we have a nice sell-on clause. You could argue he isn't 100% behind the club given last summers events so worth getting rid now in case he becomes an issue (like Huws), whilst you could also argue that maybe he has changed considering he eventually signed in the summer and is a fan favourite at Oldham. If he does impress it means we will get a nice fee in the future, but could mean letting go a promising young player.

So, what you reckon? Risk the jump to be the home-grown player next season and maybe improving his contract, slightly improve his development to ready him for the second half of next season or the season after whilst risk letting him go for nothing, or cash in now to get a small fee and potentially get a nice sell on fee?

Personally, I'd go for A. Cook doesn't seem to rate Evans enough to use him as a sub goalie unless Macca is unavailable (maybe one reason why he barely played, considering his injury proneness), so better off getting another keeper and have Lang. He seems to have his head on his shoulders and just wanted regular football, but can't say for certain. I don't think he is as good as Macca but we won't know unless we give him a chance and the draw backs seem minor, as long he doesn't upset the dressing room.

I think we have to bring him back and give him a chance. A 20 year old with 23 goals in 53 starts over the last 2 seasons mostly as an attacking midfielder and scored against prem opposition in the cup is the type of exciting player we'd be looking to buy - yet we are fortunate enough to have him already.

I was very impressed with what little we saw of him before he went out on loan 2 years ago - playing against men and learning to cope with the physicality of L2 will have done him the world of good since then. It is obviously a big step up but the lad looks to have plenty of talent and the pace and skill to make a mark.

I'm genuinely excited to get him back. I think he could be the real deal along with Geldheart. I think the move to attacking mid from striker over his loand will benefit him as playing loan striker in our side has been a poison chalice over the years for many and the fact he has played every spot accross the front 4 gives him a lot of opportunity to get in the side.

I was gutted Lang wasnt involved last preseason - if he was and impressed then maybe we'd have used him instead of loaning him again. So hopefully this year this coming year will be his big chance.

It would be very silly not to have a young, home grown player with double figures in his last two seasons in the squad as a third striker. We still need a frontline one but he will save us the need to pay for a back-up.

The fact he can play up front, wide or behind the striker (albeit better as a striker) would make sending him out on loan a strange decision for me.

In fairness we seem to have got " strange decisions " off to a fine art. The lad from Peterborough is a fine example.
I dunno, I wiork with a Gills fan and he's been waxing lyrical about Lopes for the last few weeks. Think we signed him a season or two before he was ready for us - still reckon he'll turn out to be a quality signing. You don't play nearly 100 games in the third tier before you're 20 without being a decent player.

I'd loan Lang out to a Div 1 team next season with a January recall.
If he does the business then bring him into our 1st team squad and see how does before offering him a contract.
In fact I'd be looking at loaning Geldhartd and Jolley out to Div 2 teams and see how they do. Oldham seemed to have looked after Lang.

Regarding Langs contract issues. I thought it was Geldhartd who was refusing to originally sign and Lang had scored a few in pre season 2017.

The dilemma is that to develop, players by his age need to be playing. At 16-18, academy football is fine, but once you're 20 you need to be playing first team games.

If it were me, I'd put Lang in the first team for the first 4 games (before the window closes) and see what he looks like at this level. Can always loan him out if he's not looking like he'll cut it in the Championship, but it'll give the club a much better picture of whether he can make the step up if he gets some first team minutes.

It's a mistake we've made before as a club, not wanting to risk giving our youngsters a chance (often whilst first team spots are given to young loanees from other clubs), but with the quality of some of the lads coming through now, there's no better time to show them that youngsters at Latics can make it.

100 per cent Lang has to come back for next season. To hit 10 and 13 goals for both a struggling and a mid table League Two side is impressive baring in mind too he has been playing out wide and in an attacking midfield role this season.

At worst he can come back for preseason with guaranteed starts in the EFL and FA Cups and depending on how well he trains the odd first team games here and there. Garner is only senior striker on our payroll i would keep, the rest can go. We will probably look to sign two strikers in the summer alongside keeping Garner, so at worst Lang would be 4th choice striker.

Then if he isnt getting sufficent game time by Jan we can loan Lang out again, hopefully this time to a League One club. To me he is beyond League Two level now so would only loan him out to a League One club.

This way is best option for all, Lang gets a full preseason behind him to impress, he gets regular starts in cup games to impress. If he does have to go out on loan to League One in Jan, if he impresses there then we have a good player who we can keep should worse case scenario of relegation next season occur. Win win for all.

I would much rather give Lang a chance as an initial back up striker then keep Devante Cole, a player who is on higher wages and is not fancied by the management.

Lang's played several positions again this season, mostly on the right wing. Secondary as part of a front two and attacking midfield. Didn't check his matches as often as last season, he started 38 games, scoring 13 and assisting 2 in the league.

Lang's played several positions again this season, mostly on the right wing. Secondary as part of a front two and attacking midfield. Didn't check his matches as often as last season, he started 38 games, scoring 13 and assisting 2 in the league.
What's a front two?

Not too many teams play with a front two anymore, Sheffield united and Wednesday, along with Birmingham were the only 3 teams to use two forwards regularly this season in the championship.

I'd loan Lang out to a Div 1 team next season with a January recall.
If he does the business then bring him into our 1st team squad and see how does before offering him a contract.
In fact I'd be looking at loaning Geldhartd and Jolley out to Div 2 teams and see how they do. Oldham seemed to have looked after Lang.

Regarding Langs contract issues. I thought it was Geldhartd who was refusing to originally sign and Lang had scored a few in pre season 2017.

I'd try to get Gelhardt, Weir and Jolley out to teams in non league for 3 months or so. If they don't play then development isn't lost over a full season and if they do then you can extend them over the season or try to get them further up the pyramid. Teams like Chorley, Curzon and Altrincham might be ones to target.

Either way they need some time now playing competitive football against some old heads. They'll learn a lot coming up against old pro's in the National.

Only trouble with that is that they'd be up against proper cloggers... Gelhardt should be pushing for sub appearances in the first team next year, not getting battered by 14 stone pub players who don't think twice about two-footing him when he dances past them.

I'd want our kids out on loan at the highest level possible to learn how to cope with the physical side of the game against men while still playing a decent quality of opposition.

But I think Geldhartd might not need to take that step as he's very combative and physical for such a young lad - he's not your typical youth player yet. While Weir and Jolley may be talented they physically look like they will need more time to develop Geldhartd looks ready now.

Non league would be too far a step down for Gelhardt and Weir. Both are England Under 17 internationals, (Weir even played 90 minutes in Under 17 Euros last week) we should be looking at an Oldham level club minimum. I even think a Walsall, Scunny level of club. Maybe even Bury who have just won promotion to League One. Loaning pair of them to Bury would be a good move i think. Gets them competitive games and then after a season they are ready to fight for first team place.

Gelhardt is far too good for non-league. He should be pushing for our first team squad next season.
National league is far better than it used to be. At the moment only two teams in the national league aren't pro and some below that are as well, it's effectively League 3.

Burgess gained immeasurably from his experiences at Barrow this season, the player I saw in his first game there and the player at the end of his spell were chalk and cheese. Similarly Chris Merrie came on leaps and bounds at Altrincham last season.

The risk with the football league is that if players go and don't get game time or coaching they need then they are stuck until January sitting on the bench or playing in the reserves away from our coaches watchful eyes. Gelhardt, Jolley and Weir are still very young - you don't see many 17 year olds getting given extended runs in the league. There is still a lot of nurturing and development needed before we'll see them begin to reach potential, as much as we'd all love to see them in the first team we don't want to rush and destroy their confidence. But hey, if they are good enough they are old enough - I just have my doubts that they are at that level yet.

National league is far better than it used to be. At the moment only two teams in the national league aren't pro and some below that are as well, it's effectively League 3.

Burgess gained immeasurably from his experiences at Barrow this season, the player I saw in his first game there and the player at the end of his spell were chalk and cheese. Similarly Chris Merrie came on leaps and bounds at Altrincham last season.

The risk with the football league is that if players go and don't get game time or coaching they need then they are stuck until January sitting on the bench or playing in the reserves away from our coaches watchful eyes. Gelhardt, Jolley and Weir are still very young - you don't see many 17 year olds getting given extended runs in the league. There is still a lot of nurturing and development needed before we'll see them begin to reach potential, as much as we'd all love to see them in the first team we don't want to rush and destroy their confidence. But hey, if they are good enough they are old enough - I just have my doubts that they are at that level yet.

You are probably right about Geldhart, Weir and Merrie etc, but 17 year olds have been known to step up before, and at a higher level than where we are at.
However, the thread was originally about Callum Lang.
He is 20 now, if he isn't ready now to step up to the first team squad, it is doubtful he is ever going to be.
Give him a squad number and try him out in the friendlies and CC matches, if he looks okay a few sub appearances will soon show if he has the ability or not.
If it works out then that is great. if there is no progression, don't hang on to him in the hope he will get there, get shut, and move on. It's fairer for him, the club and fans.

Give him a squad number and try him out in the friendlies and CC matches, if he looks okay a few sub appearances will soon show if he has the ability or not.
If it works out then that is great. if there is no progression, don't hang on to him in the hope he will get there, get shut, and move on. It's fairer for him, the club and fans.
To be honest, if he hasn't kicked on since he joined Morecambe on loan I'd be hugely surprised. I think it is highly likely that he'll be in the squad next season, there are plenty of players who have made the step from League Two to Championship at that age.