Byrne injury | Vital Football

Byrne injury

Looks like Byrne is out for the rest of the season. Big blow .Definitely need another midfield in January now. Edit beat me too it Bert .

Bad news .... last season was very up and down but this year has been really good .... O’Keefe now needs to pull it together and fill that role .....

Gutted for Byrner. Not only has he been one of our better players this season, he's been one of our better and most consistent players over the last few seasons.

Let's hope he makes a full and speedy recovery. If there is a good side to it, at least its happened now rather than after the January window has shut. Think SE might look to get someone in if he is out for the rest of the season as seems likely.

Let's hope he makes a full and speedy recovery. If there is a good side to it, at least its happened now rather than after the January window has shut. Think SE might look to get someone in if he is out for the rest of the season as seems likely.

Very bad news and sad for Mark Byrne.

Regarding getting another player in. Wouldn’t having OKeefe, Marshall, Willock, Pringle, RCC, Cisse etc on the bench mean we are pretty covered for midfielders?

Byrne performs a specific role in midfield. Not all our current midfielders could necessarily fulfil that as well as he does. I think the nearest is O’Keefe. I haven’t seen enough of Willock or Cisse to say whether they could. Pringle by pedigree and reputation could if he could recapture the form that made him such a good player at Rotherham. I don’t see Marshall in that role long term although he did perform well in midfield from the subs bench. I can’t see RCC doing the hard yards that Byrne does including the lung bursting recovery runs.

Very bad news and sad for Mark Byrne.

Regarding getting another player in. Wouldn’t having OKeefe, Marshall, Willock, Pringle, RCC, Cisse etc on the bench mean we are pretty covered for midfielders?

OSK, Waldo has pretty much hit the nail on the head in summary IMO . Willock, Pringle and Cisse we just haven't seen enough of and I wouldn't be surprised to see Cisse go out in January. Don't think Willock or RCC do the uglier industrial side if the game that Byrne does so well, so that leaves just O'Keefe.

OSK, Waldo has pretty much hit the nail on the head in summary IMO . Willock, Pringle and Cisse we just haven't seen enough of and I wouldn't be surprised to see Cisse go out in January. Don't think Willock or RCC do the uglier industrial side if the game that Byrne does so well, so that leaves just O'Keefe.
If that's the case then this will be a test of SE's mettle, ie re-shape the team in Byrne's absence, especially if no other midfielders are able to fill his boots. That should not be as difficult a conundrum as finding a way to actually get the ball in the net.

Pringle I'm baffled by. Arrived under a fanfare and I've not seen him kick a ball.
It's not much of a surprise that we haven't seen much of Pringle. He wasn't match fit when he arrived. He only moved to the area some time after he signed and was according to Evans finding the travelling difficult. Then his wife gave birth. Then he got a 2 match suspension. Have a bit of patience. I still feel he can be a big player for us in the second half of the season.