Burn Out | Vital Football

Burn Out

Sir Laz

Vital Football Hero
How many young players that burst onto the scene actually go on to finish their carrears at a decent age? Michael Owen being a prime example...I wonder if Wayne Rooney will go down the same path...Someone will correct me I'm sure but I can't think of a top proffesional player who burst onto the scene at 17/18 who went on to play into their mid 30s.

Probably not many Laz in this day and age. I have heard it said in some circles that Owen was overplayed when young. He was probably overpaid when older.

I think Pele may have been one of the last players to burst onto the scene and stay at the top for a good long spell. It seems that a lot of his compatriots these days struggle from this.

Don't forget Shola was only 18 when he burst onto the scene, and he's 31 now and still knocking them in left, right and centre.

Raul, think he made his debut at about 17 or 18 for Real Madrid. There are a few exceptions. Owen was slaughtered by Liverpool England when he first appeared.

You just knew Gazza wouldn't last the distance and what a pity. An abundance of talent that was cut short by the 'self destruct button'.