Bromley Build Up | Vital Football

Bromley Build Up

SeasideEssexXile

Vital Football Legend

FA Cup: Gareth Southgate's best man Andy Woodman targets upset with non-league Bromley​

Andy Woodman (second right) - who was Crystal Palace goalkeeping coach at the time - celebrates with boss Alan Pardew after the Eagles score against Manchester United in the 2016 FA Cup final
Andy Woodman (second right) - who was Crystal Palace goalkeeping coach at the time - celebrates with boss Alan Pardew after the Eagles score against Manchester United in the 2016 FA Cup final
FA Cup first round: Bromley v Blackpool
Venue: Hayes Lane Date: Saturday, 4 November Kick-off: 17:45 GMT
Coverage: Watch live on BBC Two, BBC iPlayer, BBC Sport website & app
It's 38 years since Andy Woodman and Gareth Southgate first met as schoolboy apprentices at Crystal Palace.
They remain the best of friends despite their football careers taking very different journeys.
While England boss Southgate is planning for next summer's Euro 2024, Woodman is looking to mastermind an FA Cup first-round upset when his non-league Bromley side host League One Blackpool in front of the BBC Two cameras on Saturday.
"It's funny, Gareth and I are both dealing with similar problems albeit he is manager of England and I'm manager of Bromley," Woodman told BBC Sport.
"We talk regularly and I find myself going on about one of my players and he's going on about one of his. It's surreal."
While Southgate enjoyed a playing career at Palace, Aston Villa, Middlesbrough and England, goalkeeper Woodman was released by Palace and played in the lower leagues for the likes of Northampton Town, Oxford United and Brentford.
But their friendship flourished to the extent Southgate was best man at Woodman's wedding, and vice versa. Southgate is also godfather to Woodman's son, Freddie, who is Preston's keeper.
The pair even wrote a book - Woody and Nord: A Football Friendship - documenting their encounters at opposite ends of the football ladder.
So will Woodman be inviting Southgate to Bromley's 5,000 capacity Hayes Lane ground when they face Blackpool?
"Absolutely not. I don't want him taking all the glory off my team," he laughed.
Bromley boss Andy Woodman celebrates winning the FA Trophy at Wembley in 2022
Andy Woodman steered Bromley to FA Trophy success at Wembley in 2022 14 months after being appointed manager

Learning from Wenger​

Woodman has 15 years experience as a goalkeeping coach at West Ham, Charlton, Newcastle, Crystal Palace and Arsenal.
He learned alongside the likes of Arsene Wenger and Alan Pardew before deciding to take the plunge and take charge of Bromley in March 2021.
"I worked closely with some top managers and looked at what they did and learned," said Woodman.
"The tactical side, it goes without saying you have to get that right as a manager. But the most important ingredient for me is you have to be able to manage people and make them really want to run through brick walls and believe in you.
"I always felt I had the personality and temperament to be a manager."
Since Woodman was appointed, Bromley have won the FA Trophy, reached the play-offs on two occasions, and are once again making a strong challenge for promotion to the Football League.
They've lost one of their past 17 league and cup games and sit third in the table. In addition, Bromley are one win from reaching the FA Cup second round for the first time since 1945.
"We don't have the biggest budget but I have assembled a group of players and staff that really work hard," said Woodman.
"They don't take anything for granted, they're very professional and they go right to the end. We've got a really honest group and we've had nothing but success in a short period at Bromley."

Bergkamp at Bromley​

Hayes Lane is about 18 miles from Arsenal's old Highbury ground where Dennis Bergkamp became a Gunners legend.
Bergkamp senior scored 120 goals in 423 appearances between 1995 and 2006 to cement his name in Arsenal folklore.
He was also part of Wenger's 'Invincibles' side that ended the 2003-04 season unbeaten in the Premier League as they won the title.
Bergkamp's son, Mitchel joined Bromley in January, with the attacking midfielder helping the team reach the National League play-offs before signing a new contract for the 2023-24 season.
But the former Watford player, 25, has endured a frustrating campaign after suffering "a problem with concussion" and will not feature against Blackpool

Mitchel Bergkamp - aged seven - holds his dad's hand as Arsenal fans show their appreciation for Dennis Bergkamp at his testimonial in 2006
Mitchel Bergkamp - aged seven - holds his dad's hand as Arsenal fans show their appreciation for Dennis Bergkamp at his testimonial in 2006
Mitchel Bergkamp pictured with boss Andy Woodman after joining Bromley in January
Mitchel Bergkamp, pictured with boss Andy Woodman after joining Bromley in January
"He's on a lengthy lay-off at the moment," said Woodman.

"We're not rushing him. He's a really lovely lad and having the name Bergkamp on the back of his shirt, he wants to be out on the pitch playing.

"But I've said to him 'some things are more important than football'.

"He's had a couple of concussions which have caused him a bit of a problem. We haven't got a date on when he will return."

Neil Critchley has issued an update on his squad ahead of Saturday's FA Cup tie with Bromley.

The televised fixture on Saturday evening provides a stern test for his side against a National League side in good form heading into this one. Critchley confirmed he would be without Olly Casey for the trip after his suspension was extended by the FA following a hearing.

"We still have the absentees we had before in Kyle Joseph, Jordan Gabriel and Matty Virtue," Critchley said.

"Ollie Norburn won't quite be ready for this game, but also Olly Casey won't be available for the game either. He had a one game ban, that's been extended for a further two games by the FA for not leaving the field of play and some words that he said to the match official as he was leaving the pitch.

"That's unfortunate, a disappointing decision, but that means he's ruled out for tomorrow. We didn't appeal the original decision and watching it back I think it was a questionable decision in my opinion, I'm not sure that's a clear goalscoring opportunity.

"I know I said right after the game on Saturday that I had no qualms with the decision, but that's when I had not seen the decision back. Having seen it back I thought it was very questionable, so for him to miss not only one game, but three games I think is very disappointing to say the least."

Elsewhere, Critchley confirmed that the Club's loan players had all been granted permission by their parent clubs to take part in the game at Hayes Lane. The Head Coach admits this is something he has been aware of for a number of weeks.

"We have permission for all our loan players to be available to play tomorrow," Critchley added.

"We know when we take out these loan agreements, these things tend to already be agreed. You pre-plan and prepare properly and we've known for a number of weeks that they would be eligible for the FA Cup."

Bromley sit third in the fifth tier of English football with a strong record, particularly on their home turf ahead of the tie. Critchley knows external voices may see the game as a potential for a cup shock and as such is well aware of the threats Saturday's opponents can pose.

"I thought we might have a chance of being on the television for obvious reasons," said Critchley.

"If I was a neutral looking at this game I would think it could have the potential of an upset and that's the beauty of the FA Cup. That's what makes this competition so special. Bromley are doing ever so well in their division, they've only once at home this season. They're a team and a Club which has improved.

"They've had a really good start to the season so them playing at home in the FA Cup, we know it will be a difficult game for us. They've got a really clear way of playing and it makes them difficult to play against, they've found a formula to win games of football.

"Bromley away, who are doing very well at the top of their league, in a league that is super competitive. You only have to look at Wrexham and Notts County last season and the success that they're now having in League Two.

"I've already seen Chesterfield and a couple of other teams in that division live this season and I was really impressed with them so we know the task in front of us. We're really looking forward to showcasing ourselves and what we're about as a football club on Saturday evening."

Bromley will fancy a cup upset. This won’t be an easy game and we need to be up for this right from the off. I’m expecting a narrow win or replay…