Brentford 2 United 0 -report | Vital Football

Brentford 2 United 0 -report

Deadbat_DB

Vital Squad Member
Very brief thoughts/report as quite tired after a long day in London yesterday where I drank too much, walked too much but laughed a lot! As always it seemed like the match itself was irrelevant and almost a nuisance in a good day out…more on that later.

In terms of the game, thought 2-0 was about right. It was a routine win for Brentford who were not great themselves but did what they had to. We were in the game but as soon as they scored, you saw our heads drop and we had absolutely no belief or even fight to get back into it and sort of waved the white flag and meekly succumbed. I get what Wilder said about quality and we do not have that but the things they did to get chances was just running harder, reacting quicker and was actually as much about desire as it was quality really. In the end they had two goals disallowed and other chances. I cannot really recall us having any kind of prolonged pressure at all. Indeed, not sure their keeper made a proper save all game or we had a serious effort on goal. In the end, they scored the second goal late but not sure we were even looking like having an attack let alone score and it just sealed a rather comfortable win.

First half we were fine and had a good early chance Brereton Diaz fluffed after a decent run but Brentford shaded a tight game with few chances. I thought we did keep our basic shape and were decent out of possession, working hard to cover gaps and to deny space. They struggled to break through and even the much-maligned Larouci did ok. Holgate and Anel got some decent blocks in and Hamer, Osborn and Arblaster worked hard. Not sure we did much with the ball and as soon as we got to half way we seemed to panic. As the half went on, they started to put us under some pressure but did not really hurt us but missed a good chance after Anel lost the ball and a clever pass from Mbuemo put in Maupay and he was one on one. He toe poked wide. He should have scored.

Second half, we just never got going and felt we looked tired and started to lose runners, switching off and again could not keep up the level of exertion as Brentford played it quicker and forced us back. They clearly had been told to move it on and get more bodies forward and as a result, they took control completely. We started to give away cheap fouls and from one Zanka scored but was caught offside and the flag did go up quickly to be fair.

Larouci had done ok but was struggling and looked knackered. McAtee came on but once again a sub did not help us as Osborn was not great when he went to left wing back and we also had less legs in midfield. The goal came when McAtee just switches off and loses his runner. Damsgaard ran nearly the entire half without a challenge as the sub did not go with him, Osborn was out of position and Trusty did not get back either. Arblaster did but he inadvertently deflected the cross into the corner. Grbic of course would not have expected it but felt he was quite slow down again even after the flick.

Not long after and it looked to be two as Damsgaard fired home after a clever set play where United were caught out with shocking marking again as per the norm seemingly these days. McBurnie went down and after a VAR check it was disallowed. I have seen it back and think it was a bit soft – he does block him but it’s a theatrical dive. I think I would have been annoyed if that had gone against us. Silly thought as no need to do it from Collins as he would not have got out to the shot he was left that alone!

I was hoping we might respond and have a bit of a go but it never materialised. Bogle had a tame header and one shot blocked but he got injured and looked like he rolled his angle and hobbled off. Archer came on and had one run but a terrible shot that went out for a throw but that was about it really.

Lewis Potter had a shot saved from Grbic and another effort went just wide as the home side looked more likely to score than us as the gaps opened up even more. There was 8 minutes of stoppage time to be played but not sure I can ever think we were getting any momentum to worry them and sort of seemed to be just accepting out lot. At the end a simple throw in routine sees a flick on, Arblaster loses his runner and the sub ONYEKA scores easily. That was that and the final minutes were just played out with little incident.

United – As I have said above, thought we did ok first half and as has been the case recent weeks, we competed, we got out foot in and did the basics well. We had one decent chance but they had an even better one perhaps but not much goalmouth action at all. We would have been pleased to stifle them though and maybe thought we could be more expansive 2nd half and nick a tight game? In the end they just stepped it up and nearly all the good attacking play and chances came from them. I felt we gave them too much room and again players tired showing their physical weaknesses which have been nearly as much of an issue as the lack of ability we have for this level. The change probably had to be made as Larouci was tired (poor players cannot get close to 90 minutes) but it knocked us even more and McAtee does not go with the runner. There is a bit of bad luck but then none of our players really showed the hunger and desire that Damsgaard did 2nd half in that and a few other moments. After that we huffed and puffed but never looked like scoring. I cannot really think of anyone that played that well. Arblaster again never hid – although be disappointed at both goals – first one unlucky and Holgate again continued his improvements. Overall, individually and collectively we were not good enough to even properly hurt one of the poorer sides at this level – one without their best player too who is not fully fit hence being on the bench.

We did nothing 2nd half and when the game was on the line, they upped it and did what they had to. We looked like we had no belief at all to come back or really have a go and players did not take responsibility in terms of trying to run at them or make things happen. The middle of the pitch was completely open and they had so much space. The subs did not help but I think it was already going that way in terms of them having all the ball. We looked terrified to try and dribble and move up the field. We just sat back and almost waited till we conceded.

We ended up just fading away and looked like a side that is already relegated – of course we will be mathematically in a few weeks. Wilder was right when he cited the lack of quality but we have to get fitter players physically who are not breaking down with injuries (another one) or cannot play full games – the squad is full of them at the moment meaning when teams are almost always better quality then we have little to no chance most weeks.

I have seen we could go down as soon as the Man Utd game now? I sense it might go on a bit longer but the end is nigh as they say! Be glad in a way when it is done as doom mongering as that sound but then we can properly start planning.

It’s been another horrific week for the club and after the positivity of last Sunday we had the points deduction and a limp defeat that pretty much consigns us to relegation. I have put my thoughts across in the Tufty Club pod so will not repeat them here but essentially it’s appalling mismanagement from the club and it’s ownership. It’s much than just being about two points and I get two points matters little in the grand scheme of things but it should never have happened. Failing to pay your way/bills is never a good look and just makes the club look totally unprofessional. I also think it’s bad that we essentially were not paying for players that helped us go up. If that had been Boro for instance and they went up – can you imagine the outcry from Blades fans? I don’t go in for all the ‘other clubs are as bad or breaking rules’ as whilst that may be true – it does not change the fact that we have cheated essentially. Not good. Does not fill me with any confidence that this owner is going to get us moving in the right direction. I will wait before I see it if the hotel and training ground come to fruition. Also, interesting they whacked the season tickets on sale just before this announcement? I am also very sceptical that we will invest very much in the playing squad this summer and expect bargain buys/frees and loans mostly. Hopefully we can get decent money for Anel and Souza and move them out – their attitude and contract situations mean we simply have to move them on now. If we could get 20 million for the pair I would be delighted and that can be at least the sales we needed to make (as most clubs do) to cover losses from going back down!

Burnley arrive at the Lane next week and whilst I hope we do beat them, I think we might be in for a bit of a shock at how much better even they are than us. Be ironic if Berge is part of putting one of the final nails in our coffin.

Ratings:

Grbic 4/10 – Not convincing again. Taking too long to clear and his pass did not help Anel at the end o the first half. His kicking continues to be poor – he barely got to half way on many? Second half I think despite the deflection he is really slow down and should do better. The two disallowed goals, his dives are almost comedy and looked like they are there for the cameras. He did make one save low down and I think the reaction of everyone around us summed it up in that we were shocked when he saved one! Just looks like he is not going to save anything, his distribution is awful and he does not command. Apart from that he’s great!

Bogle 5.5/10 – Thought he did ok attacking wise and had a few runs and one header/shot second half but his decisions making is not always the best. Defensively he switches off and another that does not seem to have the best footballing brain. Got an injury and probably be out for a few weeks so not sure who plays right wing back now – Holgate maybe when Robinson comes back. What I have seen of Curtis and Sachdev – they don’t even look ready for lower leagues yet sadly and a long way off first teamers professionally.

Larouci 5/10 – He actually did some ok things and looked lively and got on the ball and played it simple but also made some odd mistakes. Headed one out for a corner under no pressure and then lost his man a few times. Not sure he was the worst player but just very average and he could not last close to a full game. We did struggle down that side after he went off.

Ahmedhodzic 5.5/10 – He made one bad mistake which nearly cost us but he was ok for a lot of the game in terms of basic defending and covering but then second half we stopped doing the things we had done well first half – not helped by the front and midfield offering no protection in terms of pressing/keeping the ball. He has improved in recent weeks but probably trying to ensure he gets a move?!

Holgate 5.5/10 – He has quietly improved after his horrific start. Defended ok and first half made some good clearances and interceptions. Looked up for the fight and he does look to talk and organise. Thought we started losing our men and runners on set plays second half and he gave some daft fouls away too.

Trusty 5/10 – Not awful but nothing that great either. Worries me when attackers run at him as he seems to be much slower than I thought he would be and seems to be struggle when turned. He also loses headers so again not sure what he is that good at? The goal he looks shattered and cannot run back at all. Woeful in possession of the ball.

Osborn 5/10 – Probably a 6-6.5 in midfield first half as he did some good things and worked hard but then dropped off when he went to left wing back and they had some joy down this side as they got men over but McAtee’s complete lack of discipline and Trusty not coming across exposed him too.

Arblaster 5.5/10 – Probably our stand out and he was only average really today and has to do better on the 2nd goal when he just switches off. The first is unlucky but he was involved in both goals we conceded. The plusses are he continued to always look for the ball, will get on it and try and go forward. He was the player that seemed to touch the ball and look to make us play first half. Faded second half as the whole team did. Wilder’s comments after the game were interesting in that he is suggesting that the senior players are not doing as much as a kid who has just come into the team – said they have to catch up with him. If I was a senior pro that would hurt me but then they probably secretly agree! He did ok today but all of Brentford’s midfield were far superior to ours and they are one of the worst sides so shows level he and we have to get to.

Hamer 5/10 – After his recent improvements, thought today was a bit of a dip. He started in lively fashion and got on the ball but then faded quite badly. Second half barely saw him at all and they ran though the midfield and dominated the ball. We did not get close to them and could not close down and there was no pressure on the ball. Will be a big player next season. You anticipate that he and Arblaster will form 2 of the midfield next season with one other to come in.

Brereton Diaz 5/10 – Not his best game today. He had that early chance where he ran forward and did really well but should have done better when he got in. Complete miskick in the end! I thought he was less of a threat than he has been recently and also thought him and McBurnie who have paired up well did not hold the ball up enough today and it came back. They had little service but 2nd half we barely saw anything from them.

McBurnie 5/10 – As above really. He started ok and won a few free kicks etc but then started to tire and did not win the headers/hold up play either. Felt it was easy for the centre backs and as a team, the attack and midfield did not help the defence. We did not keep the ball. Got a bit lucky on the goal that was disallowed – his swallow dive was a bit theatrical but maybe there was a push?

Subs:

McAtee 2/10 – Another desperately poor contribution. He was awful on the goal (watch it back) and never got on the ball or offered anything at all. Off the ball he is really poor but he is not doing much when on it. I would not play him now. He is not going to be here. Rather Brooks or others have a go. He had a good spell when Wilder first came back but offered little in recent months and barely starting.

Archer 5/10 – Tried to have a few runs but one awful shot not sure he did much or looked much of a threat? Another like McAtee, not sure what the point of playing him now is? We would benefit more from Osula playing – as know he is not as good but giving him time to develop further as he is our player is surely beneficial.

Slimane – Barely touched it. Another that just seems not up this level. I think it is fair to say that the developmental signings we made in terms of young players who might progress – him, Trusty, Traore, Larouci – have been a disaster really and are just nowhere near it physically/ability wise for even Championship on what we have seen?

Manager: Wilder 5/10 – First half fine as we had a good shape/pattern and just looked solid but I really hoped we might open up and have a go 2nd half but we did not do that but lost our shape and organisation. They found gaps – the sub did not help again but he has limited options I suppose and not his fault players cannot run/last even close to full games which is embarrassing for players supposedly at the top level? He seems resigned to our fate and just accepted though that the quality is not there. How we improve on that with many departing and little money to bring replacements in, will be hard for him. The news of the points deduction is a further blow and psychologically is not helpful at all for fans, players and prospective new signings. We still have 6 games left but they seem almost administrative now – hope we just give some of the youngsters a go. We have three tough away games which I expect will all be losses and potentially a couple of heavy ones at Man Utd and Spurs (although have not had many of these away since Wilder came in so maybe not) and Everton who might still be fighting for their lives. The home games we do have two games we might get something but I would be more surprised now if we got another win this season and think we will not get to 20 points. I reckon 18-19 is the best we can hope for. Despite a few draws it seems a long, long time since we last won and to have not won at home for 4 months is embarrassing really.

Brentford – Thought they were poor really and a decent side would have sensed they were lacking confidence and beat them. They had Toney missing but still have a few other decent technical players but do think they can be got at defensively. We did not really test them and they realised we were a spent force 2nd half, did what they had to. Will stay up but with Benham, the main benefactor looking to sell up, could be worrying? These sort of clubs (no offence) such as them and Bournemouth will struggle to keep at this level and you only have to look at the crowds as an indication of the differences. I expect they will probably go in the next few years and then it might be hard to get them back up as other teams are now catching onto the sort of recruitment they do so getting more competitive to find those hidden gems that are not as hidden now. I would not be shocked if they were back in the Championship quite soon and sort of plateau. Being a London clubs helps but if/when Toney goes, they will struggle for goals and have sort of slowly fallen last few years to the point where they seemed relieved they may stay up – after being top half for a few seasons.

Opponent Man of the Match – Damsgaard was excellent and everything seemed to come through him. He ran the 2nd half and we did not get to grips with him. Involved in the first and then nearly had a second. Took some good set plays too. Mbeumo is a clever player who is a threat in behind too.

Opponent Weak link – Maupay will surely be back in the second tier soon. Still looks to dive to win free kicks and missed a sitter. He has not really pushed on and now back at his former club is not even a regular anymore.

Referee/Officials – Fine really. There were a few bookings both ways and they did disallow two goals – one was offside and the second I thought could have gone either way. In the end, the officials did not really shape this game at all. I did think a fair few 50-50’s went their way and too many Brentford players hit the deck easily and he gave free kicks but that is the league and sadly we do not have the ball enough or run with it to enable us to get free kicks!

Crowd/Atmosphere/Ground – Weird ground that looks a bit like a lego stadium where they have run out of pieces! They did well to be fair to cram it into where it is in terms of space and London being so tight for space! It is smart enough and the view from the away end was good but the facilities awful. It was bizarre that away fans had to go down the back of these buildings and down some steps. The entrances were badly managed in that it took an age to get people in and then inside the design of the toilets were appalling with not enough urinals or space to get in.

United fans were excellent and got behind the team and at the end the players looked a bit sheepish as they came up to them after such a poor performance second half at least. They got a decent ovation which was nice but maybe more than they deserved for a pretty pitiful showing after being in the game first half.

The day itself was good. Got to London early and headed to Twickenham and went to a few lovely pubs near the Thames and sat by the water in beer gardens soaking up the sun on a really warm day. Sipping cold beers here and just people watching was better than the game! Nice to be sat near Jon, Phil and Ian from 4 Blades in a Pub and Dem Blades/Pinch Sam in the ground. We had a good laugh and then post game a few of them met us for a few more beers near the river – not far from the ground. We then went to a pub in Gunnersbury and a jobsworth bouncer essentially just most of the group to leave for no reason. Noone was drunk/rowdy – most of us middle aged men. It was bizarre. It was like being back at Gatecrasher/Republic in the 90s where if your face did not fit you were not coming in! It was so odd though as it was a bog-standard middle of the road pub with hardly anyone in. He just told us to leave. Noone was doing anything wrong or saying anything. I have tried to report it but not sure why but people should not be treated like that. We did not even have colours on or anything?! Then another place, a barman decided one of my mates looked drunk but then served him/us anyway (people probably reading this and thinking there is a theme developing and we were lairy or were really drunk – but we were not – been a lot drunker on other away games). All a bit odd really. As I say we were all fine. Not loud or doing anything wrong. Strange!

Got back at around 11.30pm after long delays on the trains packed full of Blades and Chesterfield (at Wealdstone). Very tired this morning but an enjoyable day ruined by the football. I am at Newcastle in a few weeks, which might be the game we go down but looking forward to taking my son up there.

I now live up ere in the Norf East but the only time I went to St. James Park was the 60/61 season 6th round FA cup tie when Blades inside forward Billy Russell, a school teacher from Birmingham scored a hat trick in the first 10 minutes and we won 3-1. Proper football back then! Now surrounded by Newcatle and Sunderland supporters the Newcastle lads dint arf take the piss outa me after the 8-0 mauling at the Lane, so just hoping we don,t have a repeat performance! As for Sunderland, if we do get a twatting by the barcodes, fingers crossed that the Black Cats send the pigs down on their last game of the season. Good excuse to go out on the lash and celebrate! "Don,t wait up Luv!"

Wilder aught to play the Liverpool v Palace game that's just finished back to our players. Show them how giving 100% commitment and focus for a whole game can get the most unlikely of results. Losing to better teams with better players isn't always mandatory as isn't conceding late goals. Only when a team is full of weak minded players who probably feel more sorry for themselves than the fans and look like they can't wait to be on their bike!