Boycott the PLrape | Page 2 | Vital Football

Boycott the PLrape

Just had a chat with a mate, long time Spurs fan of 70 years, he lives with other's in a retirement, ex-forces, home and 5 of them have/are paying £3 each to watch the ppv Spurs games, they are a happy lot.

I did have a little chuckle to what you wrote here. So in March a global pandemic is announced. We then go into lockdown and all sport, including football, is cancelled. We then re-introduce televised sport but "behind closed doors". Now the TV companies and PL are charging so much that they are encouraging bubbles of people to get together and share the cost. Your friend might be in a home, but how many other fans have got together in groups to share the cost of PPV?

So PPV at high prices just spreads the virus. You couldn't make it up !!!

I'm clearly in the minority to believe that this is just all wrong.

None of our players nor at most PL clubs have yet to take the 20% paycut that has become the almost defacto standard across huge swaves of our industry and finance companies.

The greedy bastards are refusing to point blank.

The clubs directors have isolated themselves from all financial damage, so income is down and where do they turn? Back to raping the fans.

I did have a little chuckle to what you wrote here. So in March a global pandemic is announced. We then go into lockdown and all sport, including football, is cancelled. We then re-introduce televised sport but "behind closed doors". Now the TV companies and PL are charging so much that they are encouraging bubbles of people to get together and share the cost. Your friend might be in a home, but how many other fans have got together in groups to share the cost of PPV?

So PPV at high prices just spreads the virus. You couldn't make it up !!!
Your probably right there muttley, but remember I said the blokes/mates I was talking about are in an ex-forces retirement home, band of brothers if you like, so in essence they are watching their fave football team more often now than prior, to be brutally honest they said to me "out of bad has come good" take that as you want.

As I said you are probably right, maybe what the TV co's and PL are doing is encouraging the breaking of Covid bubbles, so should we blame them for the rise that's occurring in the major cities, I don't think so, mind I could be talking complete bollox here lol!

None of our players nor at most PL clubs have yet to take the 20% paycut that has become the almost defacto standard across huge swaves of our industry and finance companies.

The clubs directors have isolated themselves from all financial damage, so income is down and where do they turn? Back to raping the fans.

The players and others in football are on inflated wages, we know that and I think it's wrong. But these PPV games are otherwise not being shown at all. So what's the option? Deprive fans of seeing their teams play and the clubs of any revenue or show the games for less which might be doable ?

The players and others in football are on inflated wages, we know that and I think it's wrong. But these PPV games are otherwise not being shown at all. So what's the option? Deprive fans of seeing their teams play and the clubs of any revenue or show the games for less which might be doable ?

At best/worst no game like this should be more than £5 - if they're no careful they're going to lose so many fans by the way they're behaving.

IF the club officials/Players took just a 5% reduction in the PL it would still be vastly more than they'd ever raise by charging fans like this.

I already know a good number of fans who to get their 'live' fix have turned to non-league football and are loving it and are saying they like the whole experience so much more that in future this will be there go-to fix and PL football (like Spurs) will be illegal stream and subscription games only....

At best/worst no game like this should be more than £5 - if they're no careful they're going to lose so many fans by the way they're behaving.

IF the club officials/Players took just a 5% reduction in the PL it would still be vastly more than they'd ever raise by charging fans like this.

I already know a good number of fans who to get their 'live' fix have turned to non-league football and are loving it and are saying they like the whole experience so much more that in future this will be there go-to fix and PL football (like Spurs) will be illegal stream and subscription games only....

I don't know the maths on how much it costs to screen the matches. I did read that the tv companies were not earning any profit and that it went to the clubs. If £ 5 was charged, how much of that is profit ?

I don't know the maths on how much it costs to screen the matches. I did read that the tv companies were not earning any profit and that it went to the clubs. If £ 5 was charged, how much of that is profit ?

It's more about asborbing cost and suppporting the game than making a profit at that level, whereas my producer frirend at skysport tells me that it's fans paying for the PL to explore a new business model before the next round of negociations start next year. The fans are being exploited.

It's more about asborbing cost and suppporting the game than making a profit at that level, whereas my producer frirend at skysport tells me that it's fans paying for the PL to explore a new business model before the next round of negociations start next year. The fans are being exploited.

The consumer is paying the cost of implementing new tech. What's new about that? Other than it's in the middle of a pandemic?

There is obviously a production cost. I am guessing at this stage Sky etc need that to break even. They could do it for free I suppose but I dont know how viable that is. When I say profit....I mean the money left after production costs. That money should go to the clubs.

Whilst clubs are spending millions on replacing players then the players are quite entitled to keep their full pay.

Whilst clubs are spending millions on replacing players then the players are quite entitled to keep their full pay.
The other side of that is that when the clubs invest in players, in principle, the team should improve and the fans will see better football and possibly more success. So they'll get more for their PPV. If the players take the financial hit however it has no impact on the fans.

If I was a player though I'd need to see some cast iron evidence that my wages are being used only for the purpose they were designated for and not being siphoned off to fund a shortfall elsewhere.

I agree 100% with you. I will happily watch football crawl up its own arse before i agree to spend £14.95 to watch a match on tv. Instead of thinking about ways of cutting their cloths they are looking at ways of increasing income. Only when the TV money drops off will they finally realize that they cannot maintain this fallacy

The other side of that is that when the clubs invest in players, in principle, the team should improve and the fans will see better football and possibly more success. So they'll get more for their PPV. If the players take the financial hit however it has no impact on the fans.

If I was a player though I'd need to see some cast iron evidence that my wages are being used only for the purpose they were designated for and not being siphoned off to fund a shortfall elsewhere.
But surely investing in players means satisfying the players that are currently here by paying their agreed contracts?
Completely agree with your last paragraph that the players need to be given guarantees regarding where the money is going to be used. Ozil at arsenal is the perfect example of that.

But if the argument is that given the new fincial constraints facing clubs we can't afford to honour their contracts then it also questions how the club can afford to at the same time give new contracts to players such as Son