Bournemouth v Pompey (league cup) - FOOTBALL TALK!! | Vital Football

Bournemouth v Pompey (league cup) - FOOTBALL TALK!!

pompeyrug

Alert Team
it is a 'nothing to lose' game, in many ways but i hope we do ourselves justice and give it a good go.

reckon whittingham will make a couple of chances up top and in midfield but would be tempted to keep the defence as it was to give them a chance to prove they were just having a bad day at the office on saturday...

get the chat going on this topic in this thread.

Will be going to this one with some mates. Is it bad I have a sneaking suspicion we might get something? Bournemouth will want to focus on staying in the championship and I think our players will want to make up for a disappointing display on saturday. Maybe its wishful thinking but I just have a feeling...

Whats the deal if its a draw at the end by the way? Straight to pens or do we have the pleasure of extra time too?

going with no expectations, really just a ground tick off for son of wiggy, never used to like Dean Court as its a long way from everything, station, pubs etc

lets hope we at least turn up and give it a go

Well, defensively, we were ok today. One mistake cost us which is a shame. Against a championship side, I'm almost impressed by how well we defended to be honest.
What bothered me today was our style of play. We seemed to pick up the ball and just hoof it. Wallace was the main culprit. Thought he had a bit of a shocker today. He was always looking for that glory ball. He'd pick it up in space and just hoof it. When we got in positions which were dangerous, the final ball was often/always poor. I can understand the system we're trying to play with Agyemang winning the ball but there has to be people making runs for him to feed.
All in all, an improvement on Saturday against stronger opposition. I'm slightly worried where our goals are going to come from but given time, I'm sure we'll see.

And just to add quickly, I thought Phil smith was superb. His performance today may just have got him a starting place on saturday. A couple of terrific saves towards the end of the first half!

Jake, Sky Sports News said that in the 2nd half Bournemouth almost didn't let us sniff the ball & were stringing 30+ passes together, but the News text commentary said we played really well.

In your opinion, who was closer to the truth?

I suspect Wallace hoofing the ball may be as a result of us trying to play football in the wrong areas on Saturday and getting caught out defensively. It takes a very brave manager/group of players to stick to a passing game/retention type of philosphy when you have come a cropper with it. The ball can be seen a something of a poison chalice, however, Swansea have proved that if you get it right, it really can be the beautiful game! PUP PPU!

Pompeytim - 7/8/2013 07:28

Jake, Sky Sports News said that in the 2nd half Bournemouth almost didn't let us sniff the ball & were stringing 30+ passes together, but the News text commentary said we played really well.

In your opinion, who was closer to the truth?

Sky sports news I'm afraid Tim. I don't think the News were watching the right game. A good defensive performance but nothing attacking that instilled any confidence in me.

Sounded like a decent enough performance on express, first half particularly, Holmes sounded lively and Bradley solid, as for smith he has done his chances no harm

Smith should be in goal Saturday
Holmes is good but is NOT fit,be surprised if he plays Saturday - amazed in fact
We did ok for the most part but ,as is said earlier,we are toothless up front
One mistake at the back and a goal against and then the heads drop

something for us to build on?

decent enough performance from the sounds of it but it seems the cherries were always in control.

at least we learned how to defend abit, altho sounds devera had another few awkward moments - he was shocking against oxford!

Grim. Beating Bournemouth is a "giant killing"!!

Should be a sell out. At least the away end.

Hope we have a go.

Hope we don't follow the route as last season? Started well against Bournemouth petered-out and revived at the end.

I predict B'Mouth will be too confident, play their youth team & Pompey will thrash them by about 5 goals. :1: :57: :156: