Bournemouth 2 United 1 - report/pod | Vital Football

Bournemouth 2 United 1 - report/pod

Deadbat_DB

Vital Squad Member
Podcast links and then report below….

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4nPT8Ax4X3n0yhtIitXIpp

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/id1508158343?i=1000537333442

After a recent upsurge, United have had a really disappointing week on the road losing both games at opposite ends of the country. After a sub-par effort at Middlesbrough in the week, United were beaten again, this time on the South Coast at the now new table toppers, Bournemouth.

Today the Blades put in a decent performance and were very unlucky to lose. They were more than a match for the high fliers for most of the game and with chances at both ends, the Blades got the first goal via Gibbs White’s excellent strike from Sharp’s assist. However, a five-minute moment of madness helped by a refereeing blunder saw Solanke from the spot and Billing from close range, turn the game around. United rallied late but Mousset hit the bar from point blank range right at the death and the home side took all three points. There were positives in the game and some good football and commitment but United simply cannot defend and teams continue to score too easily against a soft defence that

Manager Slavisa Jokanovic surprisingly kept faith with the side that lost at Boro with only one change on the bench; Mousset returning for Norrington Davies. There was no place in the squad for Guedioura, Berge or Burke.

Bournemouth started with young players Zemora, Christie and Anthony mixed in with experienced performers like Cahill, Pearson and Billing. Solanke spearheaded the forward line with no place for former Blade David Brooks.

The game began in dreadful conditions after rain had been lashing down all day in the Dorset area. United started well with good football seeing Osborn in and his cross shot was helped over by Travers. The corner came in and fell to Fleck but he could not get any power in the shot. Bournemouth then had their first spell in the game and forced United back. Norwood’s giveaway saw Fleck pull his man down for an early booking. Billing hit the free kick hard and it was going in before Olsen turned it behind with a smart save.

Bournemouth then had a period of play but were unable to create any clear chances before good football at the other end saw United beat the press and Ndiaye was in but took too long. The Blades were having some joy down the left with Osborn and Stevens linking well and Norwood put a whipped cross in that was cleared. The away side then won two corners but both were cleared.

Bournemouth then should have taken the lead on 19 minutes when United went back from a free kick on half way and Olsen made a mess of his pass out but somehow Billing returned it straight back to him when he had an empty net in front of him. The midfielder may have been trying to find Solanke but really should have scored.

The next attack saw the Cherries get away down the left and a dangerous cross just evaded Anthony and Stevens cleared. The Blades were having opportunities when they could beat the home side’s pressing tactic but equally looking vulnerable when they did not and giving them chances. It was certainly risk and reward football but on wet conditions, maybe not the best tactic. Although when it does work, it looks good and United came out and Osborn put in a lovely whipped cross but Sharp turned it over as the offside went up anyway.

The half ticked over 30 minutes and United then were able to create the best chance of the half when a ball forward from Baldock deflected into the path of Sharp who was in on the angle but he fired badly over. It was the second time in a week Sharp had uncharacteristically missed the target.

Not long after, a ball forward from Osborn saw Cahill turned round and the ex-England man conceded a corner. The corner was a good one and Davies got in and headed down and over the top.

Bournemouth broke and played it down the right and Christie came in but curled well over. The Blades had actually been the better side in terms of football played and nearly got in again but Sharp took too long to get his pass away.

More decent stuff saw the ball down the left again and Stevens found Ndiaye but his ball back was short and Sharp brought his man down.

Just before half time good work from Fleck to bring it down and move it into Gibbs White, saw the on-loan midfielder work some space but his effort was well over.

There was an additional two minutes of stoppage time played due to an earlier injury to a Bournemouth man and the home team won a late corner but United were able to see it out with Egan keeping firm. The Blades had probably shaded it for possession and play with maybe two decent chances for both teams with Billing and Sharp both missing opportunities. Olsen was the only keeper to make a save though.

The home side came out and looked more determined and had a golden chance as Zemora was through with Davies playing him onside but opted to pass and Solanke right in front of goal had his shot blocked out and somehow the home side could not convert when they had multiple men over. The Blades had been completely cut apart. After this Ndiaye was chopped down and Pearson was booked when the advantage could have been played.

Baldock had picked up a knock and had to go off and Basham came on to play in an orthodox right back position. There was a couple of skirmishes soon after and Osborn and Smith were cautioned after the Bournemouth man seemed to suggest the Blades player had dived.

On 55 minutes the away side took the lead. It came from a more direct route as a big boot forward from Olsen saw Sharp shrug off his man and get down the right. He waited before patiently rolling it across and GIBBS WHITE hammered it into the top corner. It was a fantastic finish. United had played well and despite a few let offs themselves had been very positive for an away side.

Basham had not looked totally convincing and chopped down Anthony and was lucky not to get booked but United’s lead did not last long and on 60 minutes the home side were level.

A ball over the top sent Solanke in and United’s defence were not alert and the striker went running through. Stevens chopped him down but it was seemingly outside the box but the referee Jones who was a long way from the incident somehow gave a penalty. After much deliberation with his assistant who was in a far better position, the award was still given. Stevens may have been sent off if it had been a free kick being the last man but it seemed quite clear the initial contact was outside the box.

SOLANKE rolled in the penalty and the game was back level.

The turnaround was complete three minutes later when Stevens gave the ball away and the Cherries broke down the left and with men over, the defence was completely exposed. The cross came in from Christie and BILLING scored easily with no one picking up his run into the box.

This spell had completely changed the game, partly through an officiating blunder but the build up on both goals had seen United’s defence completely carved over. Bournemouth had not played great but upped the tempo for a 5 minute spell and that was all it took.

The next spell saw little of note happen as the comeback had stunned United and it became scrappy. Ndiaye and Sharp went off for Mousset and McBurnie. The Frenchman did well down the right and his cross did not quite sit for Osborn or Gibbs White.

At the other end, Zemora played a one two with Solanke and was in but shot into the side netting as United once again were got through with real ease.

McBurnie’s quick feet then won a free kick on the angle of the box and Gibbs White hit the award firmly but it somehow hit McBurnie, who knew nothing about it, and glanced a fraction wide with Travers nowhere.

United were now finally having a go and Basham jumped too soon to connect on an Osborn cross. The game was drifting into the final minutes and Bournemouth managed to spend a fair bit of time down in the right-hand corner and Basham then had to concede a corner from a dangerous cross.

Six minutes of additional time were played and United were now pressing and Bournemouth were hanging on making subs and putting an extra defender on. A final chance came and should have been taken as from Norwood’s deep cross, Egan won the header and Mousset from right in front of goal somehow headed against the bar. The rebound came out and McBurnie’s spectacular overhead kick was deflected wide. The subsequent corner was cleared and United could not find a final chance.

The Blades were desperately unlucky to lose the game on play and even some of the chances they had but ultimately the lack of concentration, focus and inability to defend meant once again they conceded two goals, albeit helped by an appalling refereeing decision.

United – I thought we were timid and toothless in the week and I actually thought we played much better today and deserved a point easily and actually on another day could have had all three. Once again, we take nothing and sadly if we cannot defend, we are not going to go anywhere. I cannot criticise most of the performance though. I thought we played better than the side now top of the league for large swathes of the game. We created as good and as many chances and played the better football and technically looked superior. We had more possession and at times got into good areas. We looked fairly composed and controlled the game for big periods and had a lot of the ball in midfield.

Sadly, all those things mean nothing if we cannot put it in one end and keep it out at the other as Mr Adkins used to say. Still, it is fine margins and if the referee does his job and Mousset does his, we draw or even win probably. Incredibly frustrating to play much better and still lose but the same issues remain. We have huge issues with basic defending and our concentration and mentality is awful. Teams only need to have small spells in game to win as it proved – Bournemouth just upped the tempo after they went behind and that was it – they scored two quick goals. Granted the big decision went for them but last week we had a decision (keeper red could have been a yellow another day with Sharp going out wide) so we have to balance it out somewhat.

It is gutting to lose and now we have completely lost all momentum in the lead up to the international break. The performance was better than the result but sadly that is no consolation. We have to play precise football to score and our goals/chances are too hard to come by where as the other way, the opposite is true.

First half we did well I thought. They had the only effort on goal with the Billing free kick and then had a great chance through Billing again after the Olsen error but actually they were sloppy and United played the better stuff. Osborn was good down the left and United were able to get into some good areas. Sharp missed an excellent chance and Davies a decent one too. It was the usual tactic of trying to play out from the back and sometimes it worked and we broke the press and it looked great but at others we lost it. It is certainly scary to watch and I did wonder if in that weather we should be doing that? It seems we are going to keep playing like it though.

Second half we had a let off and then score a good goal (from a more direct route actually!) but then throw it away and even after the penalty and controversy, we needed to steady ourselves but imploded for a spell. We did not threaten until the last 10 minutes and then had two very unfortunate moments with the chance deflected just wide and then the Mousset one he has to score. They were holding on at the end but the reality is we wasted a good performance as we could not the things you need to do to get something. To go away with nothing is hugely disappointing.

It’s been a crap start this season. Let’s not sugar-coat it. The recent upsurge of 4-5 good results were against mostly rubbish teams at the bottom and overall, the bulk of the season has seen us look poor, struggle to create and our defence has been horrific. There has been flashes and today we saw some of that recent winning run with some good, attacking stuff. I was pleased to see Egan score two what I call standard Championship goals at Hull but apart from that most of our goals have to be very precisely made. We can’t rely on the percentage stuff when the little triangles are not working. We are rarely going through the middle and it is seeming the programmed style under Wilder of going wide seems to be engrained in the players. Offensively it all seems a bit of a struggle to me even though we have some more talented players now involved. It takes us a lot to create a chance when conversely other teams knock it behind us or into the box and we panic. However, I am not sure the issues are attacking. Maybe our style now means this makes us more open at the back and we need more midfield cover (not sure Fleck and Norwood were that bad today).

The defence has been atrocious this season. We are shipping stupid goals. People keep saying Olsen, Baldock, Stevens, Davies, Egan are solid performers (3/5 internationals) but there comes a point when you even have to question them as much is made of the midfield protection or even the shape/system. They are making basic mistakes/errors and not making the determined challenges or winning the key headers when it counts. Today Stevens had two brain farts in quick succession but they did get through us too easily, as well as we did going the other way.

It feels like this week we have probably now seen where we are at. I said these two games would be interesting and hoped we would pick up one or even two decent results but they went the way I feared they would. We now are miles off the playoff spots even (not points but places and teams between us) and seem to have taken one step forward and two back in the last week or so. Slav surely is frustrated that they seem unable to carry out what he wants which is a progressive brand of football when we have it and an intense press when the other teams have it so we can counter. We simply do not have the players to play the way he wants consistently. Gibbs White and Ndiaye are the two who seem to get it but the rest are slow, cumbersome and lack physicality to make us get up the pitch quick enough. We need to change that. However, the nature of the defence and the soft touch we are means all the pretty, decent stuff counts for nothing if we keep chucking away these stupid soft goals.

I do not think for a minute we will be anywhere near the bottom (even though we are closer to it than the top) at the end of the season but equally see nothing to suggest this squad or manager (harsh as it sounds) has enough about them to get us on a long winning run. There will always be a team that is physical or today better in the key moments than us, just round the corner. We will carry on beating those poor sides but we have to be honest – the next two are tough too – we have got to face two big sides who do a lot of the things we cannot do and one has some quality too in Stoke (near the top) and a very physical Millwall side. I don’t see any of the gimmes in games coming up.

The reality is that it is going to take him a few years to turn this around but sadly with so many expensive contracts we are tied into (some old players/some young) I struggle to see how he will be able to invest in the sort of players we need to play his way. Next season will be 4 or 5 more new loads coming in and rinse and repeat really. I am not sure of the plan on or off the field. We seemed to have just chucked money at on the paper are quality for this level, loan deals. However, Olsen, Davies and Hourihane have not improved the team at all really. Yet we are paying probably huge loan deals out. Not sure what the point of the Hourihane signing was at all. He is not playing and not an impact sub type so no idea what the thinking was? The recruitment seemed scatty. Granted Gibbs White has been a big impact player.

We at least get a few weeks off now but the situation is clear to me. We are not going to be anywhere near a promotion side this season. The loans will go back and then we have to start again next season with much of the same failing squad whom the current loans were brought into replace. I have a feeling we may just tread water for a few years and like Stoke (took them years to get rid of all the big contracts and now are improving as they have cleared out that losing stench) may have to take some big financial hits to get back on an even keel. The likes of McBurnie, Burke, Mousset and Burke should be ashamed. Too much claptrap is made of formation, lack of game time, creativity etc. The reality is these 4 jokers have failed to score a league goal between them in close to 90 combined league games. Absolutely embarrassing and these are all on top wages.

We are a quarter of the way through the season so all this, it still early stuff is rubbish really. Yes, Fulham turned it round but had that pace and physicality to go on big runs of wins. We will continue to improve offensively and we have seen more of that today but the reality is we will not go anywhere whilst ever we keep conceding goals – whether that is due to individuals, the openness of how we play (has benefits attacking wise but causes issues the other way), the lack of concentration or a mixture of all these. I’d like a run of games for Hourihane and Guedioura now to at least see if this arrests the stem of pressure. Maybe you can play those two with Fleck just in front of them with Osborn and Gibbs White off a striker. I am not sure the current system is going to stop us being cut open so easily. It is lovely to watch when it works but we look like conceding more than we score.

My final point from today and indeed most of the season (and the improvements we have made) is that I still feel more worried we will concede than score. I think most have to agree with that and that is not a good feeling to have as a fan and points to us continuing to be very mediocre in the results and performances we put in.

Ratings:

Olsen 6/10 – He is being asked to use his feet a lot in terms of playing the ball out. Most of the time he has been good and clearly someone comfortable doing it but the odd occasion since he has come (Preston once) and also today with the Billing chance, he will make a mess of things. I do think, like an outfield player, you pass will occasionally not come off but as a keeper then it can be costly. It is a risky tactic as I have said. Made one standard save from the free kick which he had to make but a good save. Second half left badly exposed on one chance when we blocked it and then the two goals had little chance but suppose being ultra-critical sat down very early on the penalty. The second goal he had no chance as the defence went missing. Conceding a hell of a lot of goals at the moment even if not many seem to be his fault.

Baldock 5/10 – Started a bit off it as they got down this side a few times. Once he actually got completely beat as the ball went over his head to the winger and they had another chance when they put a cross over and we cleared. Got better and involved in a few attacks – the one that led to the Sharp chance for instance. Second half he went off. Has picked up a few injuries and gone off this season which is unlike him from previous campaigns.

Stevens 4/10 – Well forward to start the game and in some excellent areas and linked well with Osborn. Got stuck in and was looking determined. Defensively a few times he left his man too much space (the half chance for Christie) and also kicked it out with his right foot a few times. Great block on the chance 2nd half. After this he went to pieces a bit. Yes, it was outside the box but a wild and clumsy tackle. If it had been given as a free kick, he might have been sent off in all likelihood. Then on the second goal, he gives it away. He then starts panicking and giving it away. Got a knock and was limping about. Probably our weakest player in that the two goals we conceded he made errors in the lead up. The tackle for all the debate is horrible and could have been a red in it’s own right. High and wild lung with studs up. How he did not get booked is ridiculous which the home fans may focus on as another error in this incident.

Davies 6/10 – Defensively ok first half. No errors and restricted chances to them. Had a good headed chance when he heads it too far down if that is possible. Decent with the ball as he mostly is and like Egan not sure he made any clear mistakes but again we seem to have teams getting through the middle too easily and they had quite a few chances with one ball. He seemed to play them onside for the chance just after half time and no idea where the defence is on either goal. For such an experienced and rated back line, they are one of the poorest functioning defences in the league and look like conceding chances and goals every week. It has to improve.

Egan 6/10 – He was fine to start the game and headed a few away when he had to. Not put under too much pressure at all. Helped stop the chance to begin the 2nd half. He did make any direct errors but again they got through us down the centre way too easily. Even the one he blocked they should never have got to there first. The two goals came from a run down the middle where the player got in too easily and then a cross into the box. I am not sure we do enough centrally to stop such goals.

Norwood 6.5/10 – Mixed bag to start. Gave the ball away to lead to the Fleck chance but then he got better and was more sure with his passing. Too many times he went backwards still. Whipped one decent cross in and also took a few better and more dangerous corners too. Second half he and the rest of the team just caved in for a spell and at times they passed through this middle area too much but actually for the most part we had a lot of the ball. He put in a few really good crosses and the one at the end for Egan that led to the late Mousset chance was good. I actually felt we looked dangerous at the end from some of his deliveries.

Fleck 6/10 – Started sloppy with a booking when he dived in after his pal lost it. He was a bit stuck in the mud abut started to grow and linked well with others and a threat with Osborn/Stevens down the left as we broke. Brought one ball down to set up Gibbs White. He got better 2nd half but I felt only after we went behind. The spell when we conceded two, we were breaking through the middle too easily and that soft touch came in again. I did think we controlled the midfield for long spells though and that is why is it frustrating. A lot will go in on them both today. Maybe one of them has to get back to mark Billing or track him but the two midfielders were actually ok today. I am no sure they were awful but were not superb.

Osborn 7.5/10 – Excellent first half. Always available and started with one run and cross shot and just busy, neat and looking like he wanted to penetrate and go forward. Our main threat as an attacking threat. He was always willing to run forward and showed some good touches. This carried on 2nd half although he was maybe not quite as involved and did not like his dive to try and con the ref. He continued to try and get into good areas and nearly got on the end of a Gibbs White cross and then centered for Basham. Been easily one of our most consistent players this year. He is not fantastic but steady to decent most weeks.

Gibbs White 6.5/10 – Quiet first half. One run early on but then the game passed him by until a shot over just before half time. Just did not get on it enough. Took too long to do things when he had it and a bit blind alley with a few runs but then scored a brilliant goal with a run across his defender and fantastic finish. Tried to get on it when we were chasing but not sure he created much after this. Indeed, apart from his goal not sure he was in the game that much at all but of course can always get you something with a bit of quality.

Ndiaye 5/10 – Worked hard and some ok touches but like above not sure we saw him get in behind and then he started to have less of an influence. He carries on trying to get on the ball but just seemed to get crowded out and 2nd half I did not notice him at all. I thought he was decent in the week but not sure he had much of an influence today.

Sharp 5.5/10 – Carried on from the week with the ball shooting off him and him not holding it up. He was outmuscled and outpaced a few times. Was involved but when the chance came, he missed it badly. Failed to get a pass away when we had men over on a break. However, he earns kudos for his part in the goal, as ineffective as he was for most of the game, with a run down the right and a great pick out. Went off after we went 2-1 down. Not had the best of two games apart from that one assist.

Subs –

Basham 4/10 – He is not great in that right wing back role so to play a right back position means he can be even more exposed and I felt it was a bit of a struggle at times. He kept going but a few times his touch was off or was out of position. Going forward he took way too long to do things when Gibbs White was well positioned and then had a bad header when he jumped too soon.

McBurnie –I thought him and Mousset made a difference. They gave us a focal point and some attacking threat. He made one good run and got tripped up leading to a free kick and also was able to win a few bits and pieces and a bit unlucky with the deflection that nearly went in off his face. At the end he maybe took too long to adjust his body position on the overhead kick when it dropped but it did get deflected and clearly Mousset should have scored long before this.

Mousset – He actually was lively when he came on and was instantly involved and looked quite hungry (stop it). He won a ball out wide, put a cross in and was looking to get on the ball. He then linked a few times with others. Right at the end though he has to score. He seemed to completely mistime his jump. It’s a terrible miss and reminded me of the late sitter at West Brom lasts season. Hopefully he can put in a run of games but I am not holding my breath.

Jokanovic 5/10 – Thought he would have changed the side especially in midfield and up top with Sharp and Ndiaye putting in a lot of minutes for someone so young and erm…old…in the last week. The midfield also I thought would be freshened up with maybe Guedioura, Hourihane playing against the tall and physical Billing and Lerma. In the end Fleck and Norwood were ok. Some good, some bad and a lot of average. Not sure we lost the game in this area. Ultimately a poor refereeing decision and then some awful defending and we lost the game. He was right to say we played well but has to be questioned on how we are going to improve the defensive aspect with mistakes individually and collectively not going away. I do think the way we set up and try to play out makes us very vulnerable. It will yield goals but will see a lot being conceded. It is not going to see us going on a long winning streak as we lack ball carries and pace through the team outside of MGW and Ndiaye to make it effective for full games. It will break down and teams will continue to pick us off as we saw today. It was small margins today but he has to be looking at how we can protect/improve the defensive element of the side. Without that change we are going to be middle of the league at best. His subs were fine and we actually were pressing at the end and unlucky not to level.

Bournemouth – I tipped them to go up this season. I felt they had too much upheaval after coming down (maybe a bit like us this season) and had lost some key men but also moved away from a long-term manager (like us) who played a certain way. It has taken time to evolve the squad and also now with Parker in charge, seem to have a longer-term manager as Tindall and Woodgate always seemed stop gap type appointments. They still have a ton of quality despite losing Danjuma, who was arguable their best player. They also have been brave and brought through some younger players to add to the experience/talent they had. It may have been forced due to injuries etc but quite a few seem to be still playing and seem very much part of the first team.

Solanke is doing exactly what we hoped Brewster would do and has proven to be more than capable at this level and they have other goal threats around the side. Brooks actually seems to have been a bit in and out. He has not pushed on to be quite the player I thought he might. Not even sure I see many Premier League clubs linked with anymore and with his injury record, until he can play and start consecutive games, not sure he will make that next step. They have solid defenders like Cook and now Cahill which was probably an expensive signing (wages) but will make them a lot more solid than they were last season. I always think Billing is a player I’d like at the Lane. Big, physical and decent on the ball. The type of midfielder we are crying out for. They have signed well too with experienced Championship performers like Lowe and Pearson.

Some cited Parker as the reason they would not go up but they were right there in the playoffs last year, it is a worse division and they have added to the group. He got a talented squad up with Fulham before (twice?) and maybe with a lesser squad he would struggle but not sure he is quite the dud everyone makes out. I don’t think he is a fantastic manager and seems to have landed on his feet twice but you still have to get these teams winning and other quality laden squads have struggled coming out of the top flight (see us at the moment and likes of Stoke/Huddersfield before). It does seem them; WBA and Fulham will end up being quite a bit ahead of the rest and we are the fancied side that has been nowhere near.

Today not sure they were great. First half I thought we were better on the ball and also looked more in control without testing the keeper. Both teams had one great chance, Billing and then Sharp but Olsen was the only one tested. They had a great chance to start the 2nd but made a mess of it and then went behind. They showed great character to respond and upped the tempo. Helped by an awful decision from the ref but it was a good run from Solanke and he got behind us. They scored a well worked 2nd and nearly got a third as they threatened to blow us away but then by the end, the last 10 minutes they were hanging on and were so lucky at the end with the chances we missed in stoppage time.

I did not think they looked a promotion team but good teams can have average days and still win. They did that today. They still had as many clear chances as us in the game but on another day, we take ours and they don’t. They were extremely fortunate to win the game and I felt they were more workmanlike than technically good. However it says it all about our susceptibility when all they had to do was play well for 5 minutes!

Bournemouth have now doubled our points and are well clear – the top two has already gone for me for United (not that I thought it would be possible anyway even at the start of the season – my 4th/5th prediction looks optimistic too now!

Opponent Man of the Match – Billing is a player I really like and even though he missed a good chance, he kept getting forward and scored the winner. Solanke was a threat with his forward runs and won and scored the penalty. Outside of those some of the young lads showed some flashes and Zemora the full back was excellent. Along with Billing, he may have been the best player for the home team.

Opponent Weak link – Not sure anyone was terrible and a lot of 5-6-7/10’s, much like us, but Smith struggled with Osborn and Stevens running down the left.

Referee/Officials – Robert Jones. A Premier League referee. The guy who sent off Jagielka next season although we did win this v Villa and he reffed the Bristol City cup win and defeats at Newcastle and Wolves. The game was all about him and him showing he was there. Stopped the game constantly when he could have played on. When Ndiaye broke a perfect example. He was constantly blowing his whistle, often for nothing. He also did not trust his assistants. He gave a foul throw when he was nowhere near it and gave another few decisions that seemed to be their call. On the penalty (well non penalty) his positioning is terrible. He is miles behind play and nowhere near close enough to see it with bodies in the way. He has guessed basically. It was outside the box and the wrong call. Also why has he not booked Stevens? It was bizarre that he kept fiddling with his ear piece and he went to talk to his assistant but that is what he was doing – talking. Did not seem to have any interest in what he wanted to say? Why was there such a delay – surely all the assistant and even 4th official, if communicating with him, can say that is outside but no one wanted to challenge Mr Jones. Oh no, he was very much the only one who could make decisions. No idea what the delay was about if he was so convinced from so far out it was in the box – what was the delay for?

I have seen a few refs or those with knowledge of the rules saying that as the tackle carried on into the box it is a penalty but it was not like a pull back or grapple that carried on. He takes him out outside the box? It’s like saying if you chop someone down 30 yards form goal but they slide into the box to fall over, then that is a penalty? Not sure there is any contact at all in the box? If so then why was Sharp not given a penalty the other week for something similar on the corner of the box near the Kop? Woefully inconsistent.

After this he really continued to be a bit of a homer and most 50-50’s went to them. I felt last week we had a ref that favoured us probably but it was the other way round today. Most of the other bookings were fair enough but he was very frustrating in his all-around handling of the game. Led to a few flashpoints as no one seemed to know how he was reffing it – was he letting stuff go or being really strict. It seemed to change one minute to the next? Hopefully we will not see him for a long time.

disagree about basham totally. he wa head n shouders better than baldock and needs to play his attacking play and getting into attacking areas is way better than baldock,plus he wins most if not all of his headers and is better defensively from set plays, yes he does get beat by attackers but which defender in the world dosnt. hes a breath of fresh air in the side and leaves absolutely everything on that pitch. we need battlers like him in the side and for me he has to start all day long.

Didn’t watch or listen to the game,truth be known I slept through most of it,but checked the stats on my scores app and they looked pretty even until you got to the keepers where Olsen made 4 saves and theirs didn’t have to make 1 we made 7 chances to their 9 and both had 3 good chances so we were pretty much equal creativity wise it’s down to finishing and of course being as watertight as the titanic

Again so many miss placed passes
The ref was pap
I thought we deserved something out of the game
Not for any obvious reasons, but, I don’t like Bournemouth fans!!!!

Didn’t watch or listen to the game,truth be known I slept through most of it,but checked the stats on my scores app and they looked pretty even until you got to the keepers where Olsen made 4 saves and theirs didn’t have to make 1 we made 7 chances to their 9 and both had 3 good chances so we were pretty much equal creativity wise it’s down to finishing and of course being as watertight as the titanic
Seems to me Bully it was that pen that did for us.

Certainly an interesting tackle by Stevens, I think he left his signature on the guys leg. If stats are to be believed Bournemouth had 11 shots 7 on target to our 8 one on target, add our inabilty not to concede shows our problems. Will SJ sort it out personally I haven't got a clue, but he ought to get a jog on.

Based on what I saw on the extended highlights, we created enough to get a draw. It was outside the box but what was Stevens thinking with that tackle, defending for the second was hopeless. Moose could not score in a brothel, should have buried that chance, Sharp should have had one first half too. Long season ahead. Can't believe Hourihanne cant get a game.