Best away league performance in living memory? | Page 2 | Vital Football

Best away league performance in living memory?

Im going to give Scunny away in the early 80's a mention, not for the best team performance, far from it, but for what still has to be one of the best individual perfomances ever seen, i give you David Felgate, who by some sort of miracle kept the final score to 0 0 when it could quite easily have been 15 nil to Scunny. There were plenty of imps there that day who will know what im on about.

0-0 at the Old Showground. They had a ball and would not share it. I think if the same match that the overall attendance was very low for a local derby maybe as low as 3500?

0-0 at the Old Showground. They had a ball and would not share it. I think if the same match that the overall attendance was very low for a local derby maybe as low as 3500?

10th March 1984 it was 0-0. Attendance was 3,889. Low attendance could be explained by Scunthorpe being 23rd at the time and on their way to relegation. We were mid-table, and the previous game at Sincil Bank had attracted 1,575. The next one was 2,030.

I’d like to go down memory lane to Saturday 12th April 1958. City were at Doncaster having on the Tuesday previous won 3-1 at Barnsley to end a run of 17 league games without a win, but still apparently hopelessly marooned at the foot of division 2 (Championship nowadays). In the Midland League the reserves were at home, and in those days the only score information came from alphabet boards with the key in the programme which gave halftimes from other games and had a slot labelled ‘Home Team’ for the club the first team were away to, and ‘City’ for our score. This was updated, presumably as news was telephoned through. We scored twice, and most of the crowd were watching the board rather than the game. When the two was taken down all you could hear was ‘It’s goin’ three, it’s goin’ three’. We won 3-1, still the only time I ever got goosebumps over a City game. The rest is part of City legend.

That was the season before I started going, but wow, what a memory jogger; I had completely forgotten about the old score reporting system/alphabet boards

Thanks for those Merthyr and Bazzzer. I reckon you selected that one carefully Bazzzer, too early for me but I bet you were at that 8-0 against Blackburn.

I reckon you selected that one carefully Bazzzer, too early for me but I bet you were at that 8-0 against Blackburn.

I wasn't there, it was my Dad's, a City Res programme, 5 Sept 1953 vs Gainsborough Trinity in the Midland League.

Regarding the scores on the board, they just put up the half-time scores. Any goals in the (away) City match were given over the tannoy at the reserve match.

The 2-0 win at Chesterfield in early 1982 holds a special memory for me as it was my first away game. Gordon Hobson rounding their goalie in the last minute to seal it ended a great day. Their have been many classic away games I wish I could have gone to such as Forest Green and Burnley last season. Their have been many others but the win on Tuesday night will be up there for a long time. :clap: