Battle on for Joffy | Vital Football

Battle on for Joffy

ZAKKY

Vital Football Hero
Papers reporting he is only contracted till next summer. I thought he has been signed up for longer anyone know ?

Liverpool and Chelsea are reportedly among the Premier League giants keeping tabs on Wigan Athletic's teenage sensation Joe Gelhardt.

Gelhardt, 17, is regarded as one of the brightest prospects in the Championship and made his senior league bow for Wigan back in April.

He has continued his progression under Paul Cook's stewardship this term, coming off the bench in last weekend's goalless draw with Barnsley.

According to Goal , English top-flight clubs have been monitoring the boyhood Liverpool fan's progress for some time, with both Reds and Chelsea scouts watching him in youth games last season.

Liverpool's Merseyside rivals Everton are also keen on potentially signing him, while Leicester and Wolves are known to be admirers of the talented young striker.

Last edited:
He'd be a fool to go to one of those big clubs at this stage. He's now broken into the first team with us and he'll get more and more game time as he progresses and develops.

If he goes to one of the big clubs, he'll be lucky to even sit on a bench for the next 3 years.

Too many talented young players suffer this fate, and Joe could be a massive deal in the future, but he needs game time to develop at this stage in his career. I hope he stays, but if he doesn't, I'd still wish him all the best... He'll need luck because for every young player that makes it through the youth systems at those big clubs, there are hundreds if not thousands that fall off the radar.

He'd be a fool to go to one of those big clubs at this stage. He's now broken into the first team with us and he'll get more and more game time as he progresses and develops.

If he goes to one of the big clubs, he'll be lucky to even sit on a bench for the next 3 years.

Too many talented young players suffer this fate, and Joe could be a massive deal in the future, but he needs game time to develop at this stage in his career. I hope he stays, but if he doesn't, I'd still wish him all the best... He'll need luck because for every young player that makes it through the youth systems at those big clubs, there are hundreds if not thousands that fall off the radar.

You're not wrong in many senses but we can look at it from the other side of the fence and say he'd be mad to not go. So many top young players who seem like they have the world at their feet don't go on to have the careers expected - the money likely to be offered and possibility to go to the biggest clubs in the land may never come again and at the end of your career it could be a huge regret if he doesn't take the chance. There is always the chance that he get's lost in the shuffle here and never realises the potential so it's a gamble either way - but if he gets lost in the shuffle here he wont likely have a experienced the live changing money while he would if he did at a bigger club.

If he is a confident young man he may not even fear getting lost in the shuffle, he may back himself to be the one in a hundred or so that break throuogh against the odds and may feel that if he goes to a bigger club with a better academy, playing with better players, playing a higher standard of oposition, with better facilities, better coaches, etc he will develop into a better player than he will here.

I think you can certainly make a case for him to stay - but i think what is on offer will be everything a young lad may dream of and if any of us were put in that situation at his age it would be incredibly difficult to turn it down. If he goes to a big club the potential signing on bonus will probably buy him, his parents and grand parents a nice house each and one weeks wage might give him the chance to buy a car better than any of us normal folks would be able to save up for.

It's hard to know what would be going through his head - but if i was him - i'd probably take the chance and go despite the risk.

If someone offered him 20k a week on a long term deal he would be made for life , we need to get the max out of it we can ..Unfortunately it is what football is all about now ..

I don't disagree with you (KDZ & mightytics) in principle. From a financial point of view it's a no brainer if they'll pay him big money when we blatantly can't.

But the question of how confident is he is a more complex one. On the one hand you're right, in that if he's confident he will make it at a big club then he should go, but to flip that argument if he's confident, he'll know he can make it big at Latics, and he's more likely to do that if he's playing first team football regularly. If he goes to one of the big boys, he'll earn 20k per week for the next four years and play a handful of matches at best. If he's confident he'll make it, if he scores 20+ a season for a couple of years at Wigan, he'll be on 80k per week in two years... A much better rate of pay in the medium term.

If I were him (and assuming the club were willing to let him go), then he could have the best of both worlds: go to Liverpool, Chelsea etc. then get immediately loaned back to Latics for this season and possibly next season as well so long as we stay in the Championship. That way he gets the Premier League money but the chances to play regularly and prove himself that he wouldn't get at a big club.

He's clearly got the world at his feet: you don't get interest from clubs like that (especially at 17) unless you have some serious talent, but he needs to be careful that he doesn't get his head turned and make a choice that'll hurt his career long term for a couple of years of short term financial gain. Looking at his career as a whole, if he doesn't get the chance to shine at a big club, as happens to a lot of young players, and fizzles into obscurity by 21, he'll earn far less than he would if he made it into the first team and made a real name for himself that could give him 15+ years at the very top earning six figures a week.

I can say hand on heart that I want the best for him, as I want the best for any Latics youngster starting their career. Of course it's good for the club to keep him, but it's also good for him to be somewhere he's known and respected and will get the chance to show what he can do in the first team.

I don't disagree with you (KDZ & mightytics) in principle. From a financial point of view it's a no brainer if they'll pay him big money when we blatantly can't.

But the question of how confident is he is a more complex one. On the one hand you're right, in that if he's confident he will make it at a big club then he should go, but to flip that argument if he's confident, he'll know he can make it big at Latics, and he's more likely to do that if he's playing first team football regularly. If he goes to one of the big boys, he'll earn 20k per week for the next four years and play a handful of matches at best. If he's confident he'll make it, if he scores 20+ a season for a couple of years at Wigan, he'll be on 80k per week in two years... A much better rate of pay in the medium term.

If I were him (and assuming the club were willing to let him go), then he could have the best of both worlds: go to Liverpool, Chelsea etc. then get immediately loaned back to Latics for this season and possibly next season as well so long as we stay in the Championship. That way he gets the Premier League money but the chances to play regularly and prove himself that he wouldn't get at a big club.

He's clearly got the world at his feet: you don't get interest from clubs like that (especially at 17) unless you have some serious talent, but he needs to be careful that he doesn't get his head turned and make a choice that'll hurt his career long term for a couple of years of short term financial gain. Looking at his career as a whole, if he doesn't get the chance to shine at a big club, as happens to a lot of young players, and fizzles into obscurity by 21, he'll earn far less than he would if he made it into the first team and made a real name for himself that could give him 15+ years at the very top earning six figures a week.

I can say hand on heart that I want the best for him, as I want the best for any Latics youngster starting their career. Of course it's good for the club to keep him, but it's also good for him to be somewhere he's known and respected and will get the chance to show what he can do in the first team.

I can see us potentially being in the awkward position where he's not quite ready for regular first team football so we may not be able to offer him a starting position in the Championship every week meaning he could end up not much better off by staying on the first team football front.

If he was already in the starting 11 and looking the business then it's a different story but at the moment if his realistic prospects are a couple of sub apperances here and there (which is where we probably are at the moment) it's not going to be enough incentive to turn down the chance elsehwere.

Sources: Liverpool set sights on signing forward, deal can be done outside of transfer window
Michael-Edwards-looking.jpg

Date: 4th September 2019 at 4:00pm
Written by: Football Insider

EXCLUSIVE By Pete O’Rourke
Liverpool have set their sights on signing Wigan centre-forward Joe Gelhardt and could get him ahead of the January window, Football Insider understands.
The Champions League holders are plotting a move for the striker, 18, after selling prolific youth-team scorer Bobby Duncan to Fiorentina on Monday.

A Liverpool source has told Football Insider that the club can sign Gelhardt outside of the transfer window as he would be a youth signing rather than a senior one.

The lad looks good at the level he as been playing at it could work both ways could be good to throw him in now and could work on the other and could backfire but as our forwards are not doing any thing yet. Think we will put him in

Pete O'Rourke lost a lot of credibility last window by getting so many Latics stories wrong. If he is the one reporting it a huge pinch of salt is needed.

Geldhartd is also registered as a senior player with a full contract so the last bit is a bit odd. Technically they could sign him and play in non competitive youth games I suppose but they are talking about him like he's still in the youth system without a proper contract and could be signed via tribunal or compo arrangement rather than transfer fee.

Last edited: