Aston Villa v Luton Town Match Thread: 29/10/2023 14:00 | Page 14 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Luton Town Match Thread: 29/10/2023 14:00

My junior 1 made an interesting point when we were talking Diaby and his goal and assist stats. Junior 1 was surprised it wasn’t higher as he felt his contribution since coming in has been even better than his stats say. I think that explains why I was a bit confused when some were saying that Diaby was needing a goal soon because I was seeing a player making a real contribution and influencing regardless of a goal or assist. Points picked up by MOTD analysis 2 weeks running now.

I'm surprised his stats are low too. I have him in FPL and he is consistently getting points.

I think he is a big reason for our form at the moment. Nobody can get a handle on him. It upsets the opposition's defence and creates space for everyone else when Diaby has skinned their full back again and the centre backs are having to go out to deal with him.

Something I noticed on Sunday which I don’t think I’ve noticed before or it simply hasn’t happened before, the PA (who I think has been doing it as long as I’ve been going) seemingly acting as a hype man for the crowd, not sure how I feel about this. Pretty sure he tried to start holte Enders in the sky before the game and the way he read out diaby’s name after his goal, something that’s quite widespread in Europe when the PA will read out the first name and the crowd will shout back his second, that’s what it reminded me of. Another thing I think works well abroad but I don’t think works in England and it’s football culture.

Last edited:
I'm obviously way off the mark with my thinking.
I honestly thought if the original shot was looking like it was on target, then even if deflected you get to claim the goal? Have I just made that up? I'm sure that was the rule many years ago.
Looked like diaby's original shot was sneaking into the far post? Or am I wrong on both?
I think it goes as an OG because Lockyer tries to clear it but kicks it into the net so its not a true deflection.

Something I noticed on Sunday which I don’t think I’ve noticed before or it simply hasn’t happened before, the PA (who I think has been doing it as long as I’ve been going) seemingly acting as a hype man for the crowd, not sure how I feel about this. Pretty sure he tried to start holte Enders in the sky before the game and the way he read out diaby’s name after his goal, something that’s quite widespread in Europe when the PA will read out the first name and the crowd will shout back his second, that’s what it reminded me of. Another thing I think works well abroad but I don’t think works England and it’s football culture.
A different man doing it this week, so trying to jazz it up a bit I expect