Anyone paying £10 for tonight? | Page 2 | Vital Football

Anyone paying £10 for tonight?

I hadn't noticed the early kick off and my phone is going mad with notifications with each pen. I thought it was just a really exciting match. We're 4-3 down now (including "normal" goals 😳

I thought it was reasonable entertainment , I've certainly seen worse. The importance/status of the competition , means that I'm not too disappointed with defeat, UTG !

Interesting workout tonight. Decent balanced Gills team with plenty of key players rested (no Bonham, Ogilvie, etc.), but those with less minutes under the belt and a couple of youngsters getting a run out. Apparently, Arsenal fielded a stronger side than in previous EFL Trophy matches.

All in, 1-1 was probably a fair result - Arsenal, obviously played the ball around for fun, but, other than a calamity from Medley at the start and a few decent chances near the death, they created little. We played it about better than recently and put in some good moves and created good chances in the second half. Coyle was clearly our MoM and is a nice option for the upcoming league and cup matches. Despite his calamitous error at the start, I thought Medley did well and is fitting in to the left back role nicely and did well coming forward, which hopefully frees up Ogilvie to play at CB with Tucker, which I think is defensively our best partnership there.

1-1 against a talented young Arsenal team in a fairly competitive game was a decent effort. It's also good that we got some practice at pens with an FA Cup game (hopefully more than one!) coming up, although the less said about the pens the better - you'd expect experienced players like Samuel and Mackenzie to do better under little pressure. The commentators talked up the Arsenal penalties, but I thought only the first one was unstoppable - a chance for young Walsh to get his moment of glory, which he didn't take, but he'll get others.

Have we qualified or not. I thought we had, as does BBC tables but another table has us 3rd behind Crawley on gd, 3 points each. I thought we got a point for drawing and pens winner gets a 2nd point.

I am interested in this competition minus the Premshit element.

Have we qualified or not. I thought we had, as does BBC tables but another table has us 3rd behind Crawley on gd, 3 points each. I thought we got a point for drawing and pens winner gets a 2nd point.

I am interested in this competition minus the Premshit element.

Agree - the tournament has grown on me in recent seasons. I think it's a good workout and opportunity, like tonight, to play fringe players, youngsters and those coming back from injury or who need some minutes under their belt in a semi-competitive match. I am less fussed about the Prem U21s. I was piqued by it at first, but have seen a few decent match-ups between Prem youngsters and an almost second string Gills team - tonight's match being a case in point. Also, if we get through a few rounds, there is a few bob in prize money and the carrot of a Wembley final.

Interesting workout tonight. Decent balanced Gills team with plenty of key players rested (no Bonham, Ogilvie, etc.), but those with less minutes under the belt and a couple of youngsters getting a run out. Apparently, Arsenal fielded a stronger side than in previous EFL Trophy matches.

All in, 1-1 was probably a fair result - Arsenal, obviously played the ball around for fun, but, other than a calamity from Medley at the start and a few decent chances near the death, they created little. We played it about better than recently and put in some good moves and created good chances in the second half. Coyle was clearly our MoM and is a nice option for the upcoming league and cup matches. Despite his calamitous error at the start, I thought Medley did well and is fitting in to the left back role nicely and did well coming forward, which hopefully frees up Ogilvie to play at CB with Tucker, which I think is defensively our best partnership there.

1-1 against a talented young Arsenal team in a fairly competitive game was a decent effort. It's also good that we got some practice at pens with an FA Cup game (hopefully more than one!) coming up, although the less said about the pens the better - you'd expect experienced players like Samuel and Mackenzie to do better under little pressure. The commentators talked up the Arsenal penalties, but I thought only the first one was unstoppable - a chance for young Walsh to get his moment of glory, which he didn't take, but he'll get others.

Pretty much agree with all of this.

Agree re the penalty with Samuel, although harsh on McKenzie who is only 22 and a defensive minded player.

Interesting to note William Saliba started for Arsenal, who's played a number of times for Saint Etienne in Ligue 1. Calum Chambers also started for them (25 years old) who's made over 60 first team appearances for Arsenal and 3 for England.

Pretty much agree with all of this.

Agree re the penalty with Samuel, although harsh on McKenzie who is only 22 and a defensive minded player.

Interesting to note William Saliba started for Arsenal, who's played a number of times for Saint Etienne in Ligue 1. Calum Chambers also started for them (25 years old) who's made over 60 first team appearances for Arsenal and 3 for England.

Didn't realise that Mckenzie was only 22, so far enough. Wasn't Saliba the guy who should have been sent off? Promising signs that some of our reserve forwards (Samuel did little when he came on) caused them problems.

The one point awarded for drawing , then losing on pens is a bit weird , or is it just me ?
Losing normally means 0 points !

A few people rightly had a go at Medley for the first goal .But what about the whole right side who just let Arsenal walk passed them.

The one point awarded for drawing , then losing on pens is a bit weird , or is it just me ?
Losing normally means 0 points !

Technically, in term of the records, a loss on penalties goes down as a draw, as it has in this case, with us getting a point. The EFL Cup has a strange penalty bonus point system, when matches end in a draw.