Andy Barcham | Vital Football

Andy Barcham

Pompeytim

Vital 1st Team Regular
So, we've signed a winger - Andy Barcham, on a 3-year deal

He came out of the Spurs academy, and played for Gillingham & S****horpe amongst others.

I'm a big fan of wingers. Ever since the days of Steve Wigley & Mark Chamberlain.

I hope he can bring some pace, take on a player & maybe even get a cross in!

yep, noticed that and was slightly surprised...

cannot beat a winger can you, when they can be arsed and actually offer something its a pleasure to see them taking on players and beating them.

look forward to seeing what he can do.

I don't think he's on a cold spell still on the three times he has come off the bench he has worked hard while he has been on the pitch .. The trouble is that Ricky Holmes & Jed Wallace are delivering the balls we are scoring from.

I think Barcham is poised ready to stake a claim as soon as he gets his chance .. and that's just how we want him ..

I don't think he's on a cold spell still on the three times he has come off the bench he has worked hard while he has been on the pitch .. The trouble is that Ricky Holmes & Jed Wallace are delivering the balls we are scoring from.

I think Barcham is poised ready to stake a claim as soon as he gets his chance .. and that's just how we want him ..

Thought that Barcham came in and looked really, really good.

Plenty of pace and ability, and would run at players and beat them with ease. That final ball against Oxford was great and saw Big Pat head home... we then got spanked.

Have to admit that after the first few games I think that Barcham has drifted out of games tho and seems to be performing better away from home in the main?

I do like a winger that has pace and will run at players and cause all sorts of problems and he does that a lot - perhaps we are not giving him the ball enough and when he isnt involved he is losing concentration or something?

Tough one this, do not want to appear too harsh but initially it would have been an easy 'well pleased' but having gone off the boil a little perhaps it could be 'slightly disappointed' of late so maybe a undecided...

All in all tho I am going to say pleased tho as I think he is the type of player that could blow cold at times but will ultimately be hot for us.

Before the season started I thought Wallace, Craddock, Barcham and Holmes were all gonna be the same type of player so as long as one of the new boys came good (to play opposite wing to Jed) then we'd be better balanced than we had last season. As it has turned out Holmes and Barcham have (on the whole) come through and although Barcham has been patchy he has looked like he can always undo a defence and create something..

All things considered I think he's been a success to date .. but I do think there is a lot more to come ... and also spells where he will drift in and out of games as wingers so often do..

I tend to agree Chixy, think my comment basically said as much as far as how I think he will blow hot and cold but offer something positive overall.

<b>ScottMc'</b> Comment from the front page..

<i>I Think he's a decent player & glad to have him. Would agree tho' that he's not been at his best of late, but form is temporary. Think he was a good signing. Always likely to be popular, as 'puts in a shift' - appreciate it's harder as a right-footer cutting in to deliver a decent cross also. If Holmes ends up on the opposite wing (a left-footer who cuts in), would like to see them swapped more to bother the opponents/exploit a weak full-back.</I>

Barcham has been very much out of favour recently hasnt he.

I think we kind of thought he would blow a bit hot and cold at times, its one of those cold spells at the moment isnt it!

Think I would be tempted to bring him back in this weekend and leave out Marquis with Holmes or Wallace off Agyemang and Barcham the other wide player...

Continuing the series, this time we look at <b><font color='#0E4FB0'>No.7 Andy Barcham </font></B>
Barcham became summer signing No.11 when he signed a three year deal in June.

Barcham made no secret of his desire to join Pompey by stating: “It wasn’t really a big decision to make what with the size of the club and stadium and the terrific fanbase”

The 26 year old ex-Tottenham Academy player came with a decent reputation having scored 11 goals in 84 appearances for S****hrope after arriving at Glandford Park in 2011

When asked for an opinion of Barcham’s ability a Scunny journalist offered this to ‘The News’

<b><font color='#0E4FB0'>What can Barcham offer? </font></B>
<i>He’s a bubbly guy who is a bit like a traditional out-and-out winger.
I would say he is more about pace than skill and being right-footed he is always looking to cut inside and whip something into the box.
He will give you 100 per cent, too.
You know what you will get from him in terms of work-rate.
You’ll definitely get a shift out of him and although that end product was lacking last year he still worked very hard tracking back, offering the full-back a bit of protection. </i>

<b><font color='#0E4FB0'>And his weaknesses? </font></B>
<i>It would be his final ball, there can be composure lacking.
When he lost his form last season he tended to want to take an extra touch when time didn’t allow and often was in two minds about having a go on goal.
Barch started to dwell on things a lot more and it compounded his problems. He is very, very quick, and particularly over short distances, but just tends to keep his head down too much.</i>

So we as Pompey fans have had the opportunity to see Barcham a good few times now ... Is he living up to the hype or is he struggling to settle on the south coast

You know the format by now.. You give your thoughts on the following question...
<b><font color='#0E4FB0'> “If you were Guy would you be:
a) Pleased or
b) disappointed
with the players contribution so far? </font></B>

Obviously you can add any evidence to support your answer and also open debate with those that you may disagree, or indeed agree with.

That’s it from me, the rest is for you to comment on but just one last thing... Remember we are in League Two and we are not allowed to buy players .. Guy has to bear this in mind and so should you

Not entirely convinced that he has been as effective as you say when he has come on but cannot disagree that Holmes and Wallace are (in the main) doing the business to keep him out.

Would like to see all three of them this weekend, as I think we have (when Connolly hasnt played) been our most effective when the three played in the same side with one off the striker and the other two out wide.