Aldershot | Vital Football

Aldershot

Old Poolie

Vital Squad Member
Another defeat, with Pools once again snatching defeat from the Jaws of victory.

There's a saying a saying "doing the same thing over and over again and hoping for a different outcome, is a sign of stupidity "
There are times I feel very, very stupid as I keep hoping Pools will put up a fight and actually keep a clean sheet, or hang on to a lead. Doh!,!

Just listened to JAs post match interview, I don't usually listen to them.
What is obvious, to me, is that he is bereft of ideas. It is alright blaming players for poor decisions, but he MUST dictate how they play, surely?
When teams come to Pools and take a lead they put everyone behind the ball and DEFEND their lead, this seems an alien concept to Pools!

I fear JA is lost and without a plan B.

Something‘s up! Players are the wrong fit for the manager or the manager is the wrong fit for the players.

Managers sometimes ’cut of their noses to spite their face’. Personally think Askey has done this, he’s upset a few and when it’s them [in numbers] against you [singular] there’s only one winner. It’s not down to one single thing it’s a combination of many things.

We can wait until injuries to Mancini & Dodds, clear up and carry on with plan A, as that seems to be the only one we have. Hopefully keeping our heads above water, banking on their return being the catalyst we desperately need to kick on and at least maintain National league status or we make drastic changes in whatever form that may take and once again enter the unknown.
:red:

I'm not usually one for criticising the Manager but after Crawley last season and Chester this it seems obvious that Mr Askey can't motivate his players.

I'm not usually one for criticising the Manager but after Crawley last season and Chester this it seems obvious that Mr Askey can't motivate his players.
Some of the issues JA is complaining about have been typical of Pools for years, Mick Wadsworth had the same problems. However, Mick overcame the problems by micromanagement of the players. "When in doubt kick it out ", etc

As for motivation, I fear JA has gone in the other direction and demotivated the players. If you keep telling them they're rubbish, they'll become rubbish!

Well, I've no idea what's going on behind the scenes or how far you can blame the manager. After all he's had success at other Clubs, presumably with the same approach as he's using here.

As far as I'm concerned, players are paid to play and make an effort. They can love or hate the manager but that shouldn't have anything to do with their performance. It's the supporters they should be playing for.

I didn't see the match yesterday so have no idea how they played then, but a few of them needed a kick up the proverbial in the previous match.

Some of the issues JA is complaining about have been typical of Pools for years, Mick Wadsworth had the same problems. However, Mick overcame the problems by micromanagement of the players. "When in doubt kick it out ", etc
Mick W was a good bloke and had a raw deal from Hodcroft who told him he should be able to manage the team without needing extra cash. Hodcroft then sacked Wadsworth and proceeded to give cash to the replacement manager for more players.

(I don't know why I remember these things for years when I don't remember what I had for breakfast, usually ! )

Last edited:
Mick W was a good bloke and had a raw deal from Hodcroft who told him he should be able to manage the team without needing extra cash. Hodcroft then sacked Wadsworth and proceeded to give cash to the replacement manager for more players.

(I don't know why I remember these things for years when I don't remember what I had for breakfast, usually ! )
I have the same memory issues !!
Though I sometimes think having a good memory for past events is something of a curse, rather than a blessing.