A-Z of People/Characters Known By Different Names | Page 2 | Vital Football

A-Z of People/Characters Known By Different Names

Well done... I was a bit stuck on that one!
---------------------------------------------

R REGINALD Kenneth Dwight... now officially known as Sir Elton Hercules John . Well known singer, songwriter and piano player... so don't shoot him! ;)

... or RINGO Starr - stage name of Sir Richard Starkey, drummer of the Beatles, singer, actor, etc. Been to the house where he used to live in Liverpool, and met his aunty. It was part of the official Liverpool "Magical Mystery Tour".

Last edited:
Alternate Q - Sir Arthur Thomas Quiller-Couch, 1863 – 1944 was a British writer who published using the pseudonym Q. Although a prolific novelist he is remembered mainly for The Oxford Book of English Verse 1250–1900 (later extended to 1918) and for his literary criticism. He influenced many who never met him, including American writer Helene Hanff, author of 84, Charing Cross Road and its sequel, Q's Legacy. His Oxford Book of English Verse was a favourite of John Mortimer's fictional character Horace Rumpole.

S - Saki. Pen name of H. H. Munro, a British writer whose witty, mischievous and sometimes macabre stories satirize Edwardian society and culture. He is considered by English teachers and scholars a master of the short story and is often compared to O. Henry and Dorothy Parker. Influenced by Oscar Wilde, Lewis Carroll and Rudyard Kipling, he himself influenced A. A. Milne, Noël Coward and P. G. Wodehouse. Sadly killed in 1916 in the trenches by a German sniper at the age of 45. His last words were 'Put that bloody cigarette out!' I have several of his collections.

...or... STEPHANI Joanne Angelina Germanotta - better known as Lady Gaga, US singer, songwriter and actress.
-------------------------------------------

T TWINKLE- stage name of pop singer Lynn Annette Ripley, who is best known for her UK hit single "Terry" (1964). Clip on YouTube.

or... TWIGGY - her original name was Lesley Hornby (now Dame Lesley Lawson). Born 1949. Model, actress and singer.

Last edited:
U - Ulysses S. Grant. Commanding general of Union forces in American Civil War and later president. After he took the Confederate stronghold of Fort Donelson in 1862 the Northern press dubbed him Unconditional Surrender Grant.

Or, Frank Uwe Laysiepen, renowned German photographer and performance artist who worked under the name Ulay.

...or... WOODY Allen - American filmaker, scriptwriter, actor and comedian. Real name Allan Stewart Konigsberg. Also plays clarinet and took part of his stage name from the jazz clarinet player, Woody Herman.

Y (The) YOUNG Pretender - real name Charles Edward Stuart (1720-1788). Also known as "Bonnie Prince Charlie". Led a rebellion in 1745 , in an attempt to restore the Stuart monarchy to the British thone. Defeated at the battle of Culloden in 1746.

Not to be confused with his father - the Old Pretender. (See previous entry in this thread for "O").

Y (The) YOUNG Pretender - real name Charles Edward Stuart (1720-1788). Also known as "Bonnie Prince Charlie". Led a rebellion in 1745 , in an attempt to restore the Stuart monarchy to the British thone. Defeated at the battle of Culloden in 1746.

Not to be confused with his father - the Old Pretender. (See previous entry in this thread for "O").
Now I've read this, Mike, I can't get the blooming Skye Boat Song out of my head!o_O

:p
Despite all the romantic stuff written, in reality the period was a battle between the newish capitalist class (then mainly based in England), and the old feudal order of the clans allied with the Stuart nobility , for control of Scotland/Britain. The old system was never going to win in the long run. Not long after this era, "modernised" Scotland became a leading centre for inventions, engineering, medicine, etc.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Z ZIPPY - Millers superfan, nationally known. Real name John Norris. His football photos have featured on many Millers fans websites over the years.

Last edited:

Z ZIPPY - Millers superfan, nationally known. Real name John Norris. His football photos have featured on many Millers fans websites over the years.

He was first on Vital as zipadeedoodah and was co-ed for a while with Mex then they asked me to come aboard - then they buggered off and left me to it! And I'm still plodding on.

Alternate Zs but not so famous as Zippy.
Arthur Antunes Coimbra - Zico. Brazilian superstar who played in World Cups of 1978, 1982 and 1986.
Don Diego de la Vega - Zorro. Fictional masked vigilante created in 1919 and hero of many films.

Despite all the romantic stuff written, in reality the period was a battle between the newish capitalist class (then mainly based in England), and the old feudal order of the clans allied with the Stuart nobility , for control of Scotland/Britain. The old system was never going to win in the long run. Not long after this era, "modernised" Scotland became a leading centre for inventions, engineering, medicine, etc.

Isn't he mates with Geoffrey and Bungle ?