A Bunch Of Fives: Heroes Of Aston Villa | Page 2 | Vital Football

A Bunch Of Fives: Heroes Of Aston Villa

sirdennis with his bunch of fives. Heroes.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?7524318">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

wittonite - 13/2/2018 17:04

Great memories Erod. There is one player from back then who was probably the finest header of a ball I have ever seen, and the worst kicker of a ball and chance taker with his feet to ever grace a Villa shirt Tony Hateley.
Remember his four second half goals against Spurs?

Big Tone played his part in keeping us up. Sold him then went down. Missed the spurs game but a game away at Burnley he scored a scorcher volley from outside the box “And they say he can’t shoot “ was the cry

Chelsea and Pool thought they could fit him in but it didn’t work out. Pool had a great song for him ‘Have we told you Hateley that we love you’ The fans loved him but Shankley’s famous quip at him showed he realised he had made a mistake.

Big Tone played his best football for the Villa

Some great shouts here, so many different opinions.

Liked Erod's shout of Gary Shaw. Probably think of Gary as an out and out goalscorer, perhaps a bit lightweight and not doing much else but tapping in Withie's knock downs. Watched some highlights of Rotterdam 82 yesterday and hadn't realised that in the build up to THE goal, GS held off a big brawny defender, then completely did him before playing a slide rule pass for Morley. This was probably just a few yards inside their half, but he was also the first to jump on big Pete in celebration - so pacey as well!

There are 50 we could list here, but my 5 would be:

Little
Gray
Mortimer
McGrath
Sid

Honourable mentions to the rest of our 81/82 squads, Plattie, Sean Teale, Ian Taylor and Olof M.

I'm hoping that in 10 years, Super Jack might have dislodged one of these - will mean we're back where we belong, doing what we should be doing.

UTV SOTC

Enjoying this thread, thanks JF but have decided to take a slightly different approach in order to make an impossible task a little easier and shine a light on some history :69: Going to choose by position, starting with keepers;

Billy George: £50 from the Army :10: 1897-1911 396 games, 3 titles, 1 FA Cup, 3 England caps. When we'd finished with him we sold him to the Blues. Cruel :21:

"One of the greatest – if not the greatest – goalkeeper in the history of the club. For many seasons was at the top of his form, after a superb opening display against WBA. Quick on his feet, splendid reach, full of resource, punches the ball with great power, fields well, and a grand kick. A rare good man on a side, and an ornament to the game" — The Villa News and Record, 1 September 1906

Con Martin: 1948- 1956, 194 games. Played for both Ireland and Northern Ireland, as well as Gaelic football! Also played outfield. Got to be in for that reason alone!

"Martin, nicknamed Mr. Versatility,[1] played in nearly every position during his soccer career. Although he played mainly as a centre-half, the ball-handling skills he developed playing Gaelic football also made him a very useful goalkeeper. He actually made his international debut with the FAI XI as a goalkeeper and despite turning down the chance to sign for Manchester United as a goalkeeper, he later played nearly a whole season in goal for Aston Villa".

Nigel Sims: 1956-1964, 264 games.

"He was on the winning side in the 1957 FA Cup Final, in which Villa beat Manchester United 2–1, followed three years later by a Second Division winners' medal. In 1961, he helped Villa lift the inaugural League Cup. He played representative matches for the Football League, and in 1958, was the first winner of Aston Villa supporters' 'Terrace Trophy".

Jimmy Rimmer: 1977 -1983, 229 appearances.

Div 1 winner, 2 (yes 2) European Cup winners medals but only played 9 mins! After being understudy to Stepney for Man Utd in 1968, he was man enough to admit his injury prevented him from doing his best, without that honesty, we may never have become European Champions. Solid and reliable, having been an understudy at United and replaced by Pat Jennings after a couple of seasons at Arsenal.

Nigel Spink 1977-1996, 361 appearances. European Cup 1982, European Super Cup 1983, League Cup 1994. 1 England cap. Spink and Rimmer are two of the four England goalkeepers with the shortest international career (45 minutes).

What can you say! To make your second appearance (after 5 years of waiting) in the European Cup final and be calm and assured says a lot about the man. Mr reliable for the next 14 years.

Special mention for Jimmy Cumbes, John Burridge and Mark Bosnich for some golden moments.

A great read northamptonvillan
The great Billy Walker was Villa’s deputy goalie and had the same role for England. In 1925 he went in goal for England’s injured Fred Fox when England won 3-2 against France.

Was there nothing this great player couldn’t do !

Time to change a certain Stand to ‘ The Billy Walker Stand ‘

I actually met Con Martin once. I didn't know who he was. Someone had to explain his history to me. That must be 20 years ago now.

My Bunch of Fives is for Holte Enders in the Sky - in no particular order because we are equal in heaven.

Jimmy McEwan - my earliest Villa hero from the early sixties. I remember someone saying that he was so bow legged that "he wouldn't stop a pig in an entry". Please note that 'entry' was a Brummie word for a narrow alleyway between houses.

Paul Birch - still sung about now from the Holte but I would think that there are many that would not have seen 'Birchy' play. A great midfielder and was taken too soon.

Dalian Atkinson - has to be remembered for 'that' goal and a very sad end indeed. Was a lethal striking partner with Dean Saunders

Uho Ehiogu - a giant of a man who played with great grace and skill. He was in the League Cup winning side that beat Leeds 3-0 in 1996. This was the last final that I watched with another Holte Ender in the Sky, my dearly departed brother Royston.

John Robson - played in two League Cup winning sides in 1975 and 1977 (in all 3 games!!). was diagnosed with MS and in spite of his success he died 'penniless' according to his son.