400 games for Max | Vital Football

400 games for Max

If that doesn't make him a Gills legend, I don't know what does.
Max has been outstandingly solid for us every game he's played . A managers dream.
You know exactly what you're going to get every time he crosses the white line.

When Peter Taylor first bought Max here on loan from QPR the same as Masterson, fans were saying what a good signing he would be. A central defender who played the ball out of defence, not hoofing it. Funny how lower league football changes players.

Deserves nothing but rousing appreciation from the Gills faithfull tomorrow.
He won't pay much attention though. He is the consumate professional once he's on the pitch and just does the job we need him to do, to the best of his ability, right to the final whistle.
Delighted to see him continue to prove his doubters and especially Joey Barton wrong.

Huge fan of Max Ehmer. Never understood the sheep like scapegoating of him which thankfully appears to have stopped. Fact is you don't play as many games for numerous managers as he's done unless you're a very decent pro. Was my choice as Player of the Year for his consistency & reliability.

Fair play to him. To come back from a torrid spell at Bristol Rovers and then win back a first team place with us more than once deserves huge credit. He's definitely earned a new contract.

I’m not fussed if he stays or not. If the powers that be think they can get better then I’m happy to trust that judgement.

He’s had a few poor seasons with us and a few good ones. Thankfully the last 17 months have been good ones.

I was pleased we signed him on a perm from QPR, pleased he went to Bristol Rovers, disappointed he came back (especially given the £50k to his agent), but he’s been very good this season - Mr Consistent.

Biggest compliment I can pay him is that his defensive partner is always better alongside him - deserves some credit for the emergence of Tucker and relative immediate successes of Ogie and Masterson.

400 is great achievement. Good defender at this level, likes a hoof too much for my liking but decent enough defender.

Not a leader or captain though and we've lacked leadership on the pitch and I hope one of our new signings is captain material.

Deserves a good applause for 400 games though. Under contract for next season but that should be his last for us, i cant see him stepping up to league one in 25/26.

I’m not fussed if he stays or not. If the powers that be think they can get better then I’m happy to trust that judgement.

Watching Clemence’s full pre-match conference on ifollow I get the impression Max will be here next season.

Some guy in Kent called Marty(?) reckons he’s contracted for the season so let’s hope he goes out on a high.

There's hoofing and there's hoofing. Max has an unusual ability to clear the ball from and to all points of the compass while running in either direction or standing. It's allowed him to get himself and us out of jail on countless occasions and often surprises opponents.

Joey Barton? Who he? I'm happy to see Max here next season

Solid achievement - he's had a steady season and has been a good servant to the club over the years.

For me, I'm not against giving a new contract but not with the expectation of starting. He's been exposed a few occasions this year and we need to continue to develop this team in all starting positions.

I've always thought he was a bit short of the quality needed for a promotion winning team but as others have said, he must have done something right (other than upsetting Joey Barton) to get to 400 games under half a dozen different managers.

We certainly need another centre half next season, particularly as it seems Clemence doesn't fancy McKenzie there, and I hope Max will rise to the challenge of competing for his place.

There's hoofing and there's hoofing. Max has an unusual ability to clear the ball from and to all points of the compass while running in either direction or standing. It's allowed him to get himself and us out of jail on countless occasions and often surprises opponents.

Joey Barton? Who he? I'm happy to see Max here next season
That kind of sums up what people don't appreciate Max doing. For me, he's generally the first name on the sheet. He's not as flashy as some but he's often just standing in the right place because he anticipates where the attacks will come from. And when you consider this season's team's lack of attacking ability then the fact that we've had such a frugal defence is largely down to the efforts of Mr Ehmer.

I'd rather have him in the team than virtually all of the suggestions put forward as centre backs. I know he's "getting on a bit" in footballing terms but I reckon there's at least 2 seasons left in him at any level we're likely to play at in that time.

Actually, thinking about it, I will invest my tenner on iFollow if he's in the starting line up today.

Last edited: