3 new signings this week. | Vital Football

3 new signings this week.

GRSGimmer

Vital Squad Member
According to SL on KOL we are getting a forward, a defender, someone experienced to encourage the youngsters (Fuller?) and we still want Reilly.
Exciting times ahead then.

Three signings already and it’s not even eight thirty. I wonder if AK’s taken the day off work!?

Will any more players be leaving or going out on loan, I wonder?

The likes of M'Bo will almost certainly be sent out on loan. The only interesting one will be if Nash is included.

Otherwise do we really have any sellable assets that other clubs would be prepared to pay a fee now rather than wait 12 months?

Apart from Eaves (and that would be a punt) no.

If SL signs another striker then somebody has to be heading out?

I still think our forward line is nil after Eaves and Parker. I don't rate Nash or Wilkinson.

Three signings already and it’s not even eight thirty. I wonder if AK’s taken the day off work!?
I'm down the ground ready to report on any new players sighted. I've seen a few who have simply told me they are glad to now have no contractual restrictions stopping them from announcing their moves.

The likes of M'Bo will almost certainly be sent out on loan. The only interesting one will be if Nash is included.

You`re probably right about Mbo, Baghdad. Though, I`d like to see him given a run in the first team. SL says, in a Kentonline interview:

“It’s up to them to push themselves forward and just because they are only 18, 19, there is no reason they can’t push through. Pre-season is an opportunity for them to show me what they can do.”

So, he`s naturally mindful of the potential of players like Mbo. My concern is that, with all due respect to the teams we will be playing pre-season, does a good performance against a Kent League team really provide a measure of what Mbo could do in L1 ? In my view, our pre-season schedule is not just a little drab for the fans it doesn`t really provide the "measuring stick" or test alluded to by SL in his comments regarding our youngsters. If Mbo showed mature play against, say, a Championship or even L2 side in a friendly, it would surely be a better measure, not to mention a more fair crack of the whip?

Apart from Eaves (and that would be a punt) no.

If SL signs another striker then somebody has to be heading out?

I still think our forward line is nil after Eaves and Parker. I don't rate Nash or Wilkinson.

How can you judge Nash on his brief exposure to the first team? Give the lad a chance.

Otherwise do we really have any sellable assets that other clubs would be prepared to pay a fee now rather than wait 12 months?
Lovell has made it clear everyone will get the same chance pre season hopefully we will see a few surprises if M'bo or Nash gets twice as many goals against similar opponents than Wilkinson then why should they not be considered above him .If Wilkinson scores twice as many as Eaves of Parker why should he not be considered above them .What Lovell has tried to do pre season is create competition for places .At the end of the day pre season is about player fitness not about putting on a show for the fans .That starts against Accrington Stanley .When pre season is over then and only then will Lovell point to players going out on loan and even being put on the transfer list .Beating sides pre season is meaningless we have seen it so many times .But if a player is playing really well or the team is starting to gel and bond that is what is it all about .If we can do that against the likes of Bromley and Dover does it real matter who we play when we know these sides will be as competitive as any as we have found to our cost many times before .Going and beating Ebbsfleet and Dover on the same day is a real tough test have no doubt about that .Not getting beaten in pre season with the large numbers of double fixtures will be very difficult to accomplish .

Pre season is also going to be about getting the squad to be professional .They are for the most part going to be all professional as will many at national league level .It will tell Lovell who will roll their sleeves up at Chatham town and Dover and get the job done .Nothing pre season fully prepared any team .That preparation will continue for many into the first games .M'bo for example will not be the finished player on the first day of the season .But he can show you that he is worthy of wearing a first team shirt .