Football During Coronavirus Crisis | Page 20 | Vital Football

Football During Coronavirus Crisis

So it could cost the premier league 750m if the fixtures aren't completed. I really hope the season can't be finished and sky go bust.

If Sky go bust half the clubs could go to the wall as well. Most of them are reliant on TV money and without it they cant afford to pay all the salaries. It wont be the playing staff that are let go first either

If sky go bust so what, reset button and footballers don't earn £100,000 a week any more, boo hoo. We must uphold the integrity of the leagues has been mentioned, what integrity, champions league fixed so the big boys play each other later on, man City bending ffp further than a curly wurly that's been left out in the sun, football clubs selling there own ground back to themselves, players betting on matches, cheating and diving, rolling around feigning injury and so on and so on. Maybe football needs to crash and we start again. Initially I was excited about maybe winging it with the other shite teams and avoiding relegation now I couldn't give a shit, so what if we stay up, 8 wins if your lucky in the greed league.

I am sure the PL will announce similar shortly.

https://www.efl.com/news/2020/march/efl-statement-board-update-on-coronavirus

I usually tell you all, only quote a little bit from papers etc, but as this is an official announcement, it is ok for me to cut and paste. (Just wanted to explain that!)

The EFL Board met today to discuss the implications of the COVID-19 outbreak for the League and its Clubs.

After receiving a detailed brief on a number of matters, the Board reaffirmed that the health and well-being of EFL staff, players, Club employees and supporters would remain central to all decisions in these fast-changing circumstances.

The EFL Board also acknowledges the positive role that member Clubs are playing in community solidarity, especially in supporting the vulnerable at this time.

2019/20 SEASON SCHEDULE

The primary objective, in order to protect competition integrity, is to deliver a successful conclusion to the 2019/20 season, subject to the over-riding priority around health and well-being. Plans continue to be developed on the agreed principle that it is in the best interests of the EFL and Clubs to complete the current season at the appropriate time.

The EFL is continuing regular dialogue with the Government and relevant health authorities and, as and when more information is known regarding the scale and extent of the coronavirus outbreak in this country, a decision will be taken on the resumption of the League’s fixtures.

Conversations will continue with the EFL’s counterparts at the FA, the Premier League, the PFA and the LMA to ensure football achieves a joined-up and collaborative approach.

FINANCIAL SUPPORT

As part of the League’s continued contingency planning, the Board heard the comments and observations from EFL Clubs, before discussing a number of issues including the current financial position and implications, insurance, regulatory matters and broadcasting arrangements.

Discussions centred on financial relief for Clubs in the short term and while there is no one single solution, measures are to be put in place to immediately assist with cash flow via a £50million short-term relief package.

This fund consists of the remaining Basic Award payments being advanced to Clubs immediately, with the remainder made up through interest-free loan facility available to Clubs, calculated in line with the EFL’s Article of Associations.

The cash injection is included as part of a series of measures, that includes potential Government support to help Clubs and their associated businesses through this period of uncertainty. The EFL welcomes last night’s announcement made by the Chancellor of the Exchequer, and is continuing discussions to understand how our Clubs can access the funding made available to support businesses.

In addition, we will continue our discussions with our football partners to determine how we can all get through this difficult, challenging and unprecedented situation.

CONTINGENCY PLANNING

The EFL, through a dedicated taskforce, continues to review the threat posed by the coronavirus pandemic, and its impact on our Clubs and competitions.

Alongside ensuring the 2019/20 season reaches a successful conclusion, protecting the EFL and its Clubs is a key priority for the EFL Board, who have today agreed on the following objectives to support future decision-making:

• Ensure the health and well-being of our Clubs’ employees, supporters and communities
• Make a positive contribution to the UK’s efforts to tackle coronavirus
• Protect the EFL’s financial model and Club finances
• Enable the EFL to continue to function as a business
• Deliver a successful conclusion to the 2019/20 season

What’s better for Aston Villa financially.

1) Season being cancelled and we stay in premier league for next season.

2) Season completed at some point and we get relegated.

I guess in scenario 1, we risk not getting paid monies from sky tv, sponsors etc... how likely is this? If this is the case FFP regulations must surely have to be relaxed for a while? Therefore making this option more desirable.

In scenario 2, we go down but get paid one season in Premier league. However then in the efl on smaller parachute payment the following season.

I don't see football returning until spring 2021 earliest.
If this pandemic follows the same pattern as 1918 next winter will be brutal

You can suspend your sky sports via an automated line.

0800 151 2747

Comes back on as soon as sports return.

So cancel this season so we can concentrate on trying to get back to normal, when that happens then we can think about football or any other events.

What's the deal, do they credit your account for the period?

Apparently, you'll be able to do it online from tomorrow as well.

Not sure about credits, this just suspends it going forward, so no further charge, until sports resumes. We don't have to ring to resume it, that will happen automatically

You would think it would be easier for them to say suspended until further notice, instead of this silly, start of April, now end of April nonsense wouldn't you?

Can’t see football being back on before July at the earliest and even then it would be behind closed doors. Not sure the players union would allow them to be at risk. Time to stop worrying about who gets a trophy or not and make sure clubs don’t go out of business and employees don’t lose their jobs. Whether this season is void or finishes is irrelevant

You would think it would be easier for them to say suspended until further notice, instead of this silly, start of April, now end of April nonsense wouldn't you?
Indeed. The main thing to come out of the the meeting is that the deadline for finishing the season has been extended indefinitely. I reckon that might be subject to change.

If they are playing games behind closed doors, then they could be played anywhere. China might be a good option as there are no new infections reported there 😂🤣😜