Retained List 23/24 | Vital Football

Retained List 23/24

Old Poolie

Vital Squad Member
Probably no big surprises for me, perhaps with the exception of Crawford being released.

Concerned that we still have players who are coming back from long injury lay off - Mancini, Wallace and Dodds. Time will tell how much football they can play next season.

Recruitment in coming weeks/ months ahead of preseason will be crucial.

Think it was needed, surprises for me are the retention of Featherstone, a player I like however he does make us look/play negative plus he’s not getting any younger and the retention of Ferguson who I feel is poor defensively but more exciting going forward. Maybe plans are to move him into a more attacking role, who knows?

Interesting times ahead, wonder what the shopping list is, position and player wise?
:red:

I'm afraid my interest in the recruitment process is at an all-time low. Obviously players come and go at all clubs all the time, but the extent to which they've been coming and going at Hartlepool recently just leaves me with the feeling that it's not 'our' Club any more.

In fact it's hardly a unit at all, just a collection of extras with no proper caste or plot.

Tony Sweeney is to leave. Not sure how I feel about that. He's been loyal to the club through thick and thin and thinner and has been passed over for the manager job many times. Does he not want it ? Anyway maybe he's been part of the problem rather than the solution so, on balance, I'll say All the Best but goodbye.

Not sure about Sweens, consistently said when being put in caretaker charge that he didn't want to be manager. Some people are happy being 2-i-C. Also, he has been coach during the last 3 (or is it 4) manager's tenures and we've not seen a lot of success/consistency.
Think it has been time for a change, proof will be in performances come 24/25 season.