Chairman 'It's Been A Disaster Of A Season' | Page 2 | Vital Football

Chairman 'It's Been A Disaster Of A Season'

I’m not knocking the appointment or fans euphoria in Mr Evans coming back.
No doubt we will have a top six budget in League 1, not necessarily the biggest budget but one where we should be able to compete better than when in the Chumpionship.

I honestly don’t know why Paul Warne stayed on as long as he did.
A lot of fans won’t actually realise the difficult job Warney and Co had to do whilst with us.
It doesn’t bother me who the manager is, I must have seen more than twenty + come through the door.
The set up is wrong, the infrastructure just isn’t good enough.
If you have the lowest budget in the Championship you have to be a lot more savvy because we’re a club that can’t make too many mistakes on recruitment.
Unfortunately the same mistakes keep happening.
No rush for me to get back to the Championship and last time SE kept us there we survived by 5 points.
Needs a plan A, B and C when things start to go wrong.
That's a very good read, Guy.

I want a manager who can change the game plan mid match if it isn’t working.
I want a manager who inspires the players to always want to play the best they can and hopefully therefore play entertaining (and sometimes winning!) football.
I want a manager who gives the impression he enjoys his football and is happy in his job.
I want a manager that smiles (they are infectious as is the alternative!!).

Apart from that I agree Guy, it doesn’t bother me who the manager is!!!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
My sort of manager, too, Sixpence.

And I also agree with Guy that we need to have a full bench of players who play in different positions.

I said right from the start that the "5-subs/9-on-the-bench" rule change would be a disadvantage to us. The fact that our recent managers have often made baffling decisions re substitutions and/or their timings, has made things even worse. Let's hope that now changes, regarding what we have some control over.

Last edited:
I said right from the start that the "5-subs/9-on-the-bench" rule change would be a disadvantage to us. The fact that our recent managers have often made baffling decisions re substitutions and/or their timings, has made things even worse. Let's hope that now changes regarding what we have some control over.
Yes, I remember my heady enthusiasm when it came in that it would allow 'tactical' in-game changes in wide and forward positions after 60-65 minutes. Didn't work quite as I envisaged it.

I said right from the start that the "5-subs/9-on-the-bench" rule change would be a disadvantage to us. The fact that our recent managers have often made baffling decisions re substitutions and/or their timings, has made things even worse. Let's hope that now changes regarding what we have some control over.
It suits the big clubs. Which was probably the idea.

On a different note is there a requirement in the EFL for a club to play its strongest team? I ask because the other night Posh played a team largely made up of kids, were woeful, lost 2:0 at Cheltenham and as a consequence (depending on last games) may have consigned Burton to relegation. Ferguson was up front about it and the need (as he saw it) to save players for the play-offs but to me it stinks. I really hope Posh get stuffed in the play-offs.

I'm sure you're right, Mike. The Corinthian spirit is long dead in football. They will probably do it again for the Bolton match. Derby have Carlisle at home but if say they were away at a top side and lost automatic promotion because Posh effectively let Bolton win there would be a bit of a furore I'm sure.

I wish that somebody in the EFL would investigate why we put out a team of crocks, didn't have a shot on target, and made poor substitutions in TWO games against our local relegation rivals. Must seem fishy to other clubs... who don't understand RUFC's level of incompetence! :p

Some clubs , when under the threat of relegation, with a good manager and some astute late signings, can turn their situation around... Some don't do anything much and just sink like a stone... several local examples of both, unfortunately. :confused:
:unsure::whist: Mike, I've experienced relegations (quite a few) but I feel that they were simple in the sense that I could pretty well identify the problems/weaknesses. This just seems different. The whole fabric of the club seems to have come unglued. I run along the dam, plug a leak and two more open, then another. Recruitment, structure, facilities, coaching, management, injuries, fitness, tactics, set-up, players, players' abilities, players' attitude, players' motivation. I just don't know where to begin. I really wanted a complete fresh approach and hoped desperately that someone would come in to buy the club and start a root and branch overhaul. Nothing will change with the current board.

Last edited:
Taylor had a plan. It was for young, athletic 90 minute players and he junked it about a month after proclaiming it.
It now transpires that Mr Evans realises the job in hand is bigger than TS had led him to believe.
I could have told him that fact months and months ago.
I’ve watched much better League 1 football live this season.
Major overhaul needed and I still maintain League 1 won’t be a ‘ walkover ‘ next season.

It now transpires that Mr Evans realises the job in hand is bigger than TS had led him to believe.
I could have told him that fact months and months ago.
I’ve watched much better League 1 football live this season.
Major overhaul needed and I still maintain League 1 won’t be a ‘ walkover ‘ next season.
Surprising (to me anyway) too that TS has asked SE to provide a no-holds-barred report. I would have thought this was a first task for RS on appointment as DOF. Hadn't MT and certainly LR outlined a variety of problems? LR stated he'd explored issues with RS and the COO and presumably the board were apprised? Oh well, better late than never.

Based on RS ‘s success in the recruiting dept(!!) I have no confidence in his ability to assess the current situation at the club with any degree of accuracy or purpose. Perhaps it was a relief to all, to abandon the title of DOF.
Let’s hope when the many problems are placed before the board (who surely must be aware - but in denial?) appropriate action ensues!