Last game of 23/24 | Vital Football

Last game of 23/24

Old Poolie

Vital Squad Member
Yet another typical Pools season draws to a conclusion.
Will things improve going forward under the management of Kevin Phillips , or can we anticipate yet more drama?

Yet another typical Pools season draws to a conclusion.
Will things improve going forward under the management of Kevin Phillips , or can we anticipate yet more drama?
Briefly flirting with both playoffs and relegation and ending up around mid-table doesn't feel typical to me after the disasters of recent seasons. As always I'm feeling optimistic - how many times have I said that and ended up sadly disappointed ?

A creditable result yesterday, with a much depleted pool of available players!
Moving forward, in preparation of next season, KP has an opportunity to clear out a lot of deadwood (though he may be saddled with 1 or 2); freeing up a significant amount of the budget. Another close season of rebuilding awaits.
As supporters we can only hope that recruitment this time is an improvement on the last 2 squad overhauls.

In all liklihood I'm talking to myself, but.........?

I think at the start of this Thread I said "can we anticipate more drama "; well with KP now just another on the list of previous managers what can we predict for Darren Sarll?
Personally, I'll give him till Christmas! (2024)

No, we're all, listening, OP. I think we're all just trying to work out if we're coming or going.

I was thinking if we could keep Kevin, ManiD and Joe we could do OK. Now one's gone and I don't hold out much hope of the other two being with us next season. Hey Ho.

Good to see that there is still some life in this Board.

Worryingly, like Block Sands, I think ManiD will be "sold" before next season starts.
I can only hope Darren Sarll is able to release several of the squad in the coming week to free up budget for recruitment.

I understand that Pools are a "business " and cashing in on assets is part and parcel of that, however, hanging onto players with poor injury records in the hope they'll come good, doesn't make sense (to me).

As an aside I see Barnet, second in NL; and Scunthorpe, second in NLN, were both knocked out of playoffs yesterday. Funny old game!

Last edited:
If we do sell Mani D it just, to me, demonstrates a lack of ambition. We need to build around him & Grey, get them service from midfield, allowing them to do what they do best.
The appointment of Sarll suggests we will be looking for players in the areas he has experience of i.e. lower leagues, lower wages, basement bargains, as long as they work hard nothing wrong with that
.:red:

If we do sell Mani D it just, to me, demonstrates a lack of ambition.
There's ambition and then there's business sense Billy. Any player that scores more than 20 will be targeted by "bigger" clubs and will want away. It only remains to get as much as possible for him. Hopefully the days of Pools selling players for a box of kippers is behind us.

I hope we can hang on to either Mani or Joe but I can't see us keeping both.