Here we go! | Page 1617 | Vital Football

Here we go!

I get the feeling this is another phrase you have lifted from the Daily Mail or Daily Telegraph opinion columns.

There is a climate emergency. Just because you aren't yet living underwater does not negate that.

If your house was flooded from a leak, you would go to the stop tap, turn off the water, then started cleaning up the water, call a plumber and then start with insurance and getting workmen in to repair damage. The whole thing would likely take weeks to fix entirely. That would be a domestic emergency and I think this is the scale you are thinking of.

The serious effects of climate change are only a few decades away- within current lifetimes- and the worst effects not far beyond that. The nightmare scenario becomes a cycle that cannot be stopped.

Turning the oil tanker of climate takes decades at least. Changing the behaviours in order to turn that tanker will also take decades. We don't have many decades to do both.

Don't take the piss out of people just because they can see beyond the nose at the end of their face.
Not really. I think genuinely they are over exaggerated alarmist souls. The climate has changed for millions of year . Nobody is saying we shouldn’t do anything just in case

I’ve done my civic duty. Have an electric car. They are very good

Not really. I think genuinely they are over exaggerated alarmist souls. The climate has changed for millions of year . Nobody is saying we shouldn’t do anything just in case

Good for you.

Your next civic duty is not to make other people feel like they shouldn't follow suit

Where does the power to charge your car come from Toms?
Have you seen the damage precious metal extraction/production does to the environment? The stuff needed for the batteries?

All you have done is move the problem somewhere else.

Have you seen the damage precious metal extraction/production does to the environment? The stuff needed for the batteries?

In the long term electric cars are undoubtedly a good thing.
The tech will improve with time.

Feco we’ve had this discussion before. They don’t me to get diesel in 2014 so I did (Euro 6 compliant) They told me to get an electric car, so I did. You can’t win.

No, he's lessened the problem and converted what's left from one type of problem into another. And problems are hierarchical.

40% of his charge right now is from renewables, nuclear or biomass. Biomass, which I know is not as good as it sounds, is 10%.

Good for Toms, I say. He can afford an electric car and he's doing the right thing for the climate emergency. It's probably faster than his last car too.

Now we really need to invest in better batteries and relguate lithium mining...

Last edited:
Feco we’ve had this discussion before. They don’t me to get diesel in 2014 so I did (Euro 6 compliant) They told me to get an electric car, so I did. You can’t win.
No you can’t win, and that’s really the point.

Charge points may appear clean….the generation process isn’t. Nor is the recovery of the materials needed to make electric cars. They are though, both very much out of the public gaze.

No, he's lessened the problem and converted what's left from one type of problem into another. And problems are hierarchical.

40% of his charge right now is from renewables, nuclear or biomass. Biomass, which I know is not as good as it sounds, is 10%.

Good for Toms, I say. He can afford an electric car and he's doing the right thing for the climate emergency. It's probably faster than his last car too.

Right now, the grid is taking around 50% of its generation from fossil fuel stations. The inter connectors are producing more than wind…..that’s 25GW of wind turbines producing 2.5GW of usable power.

Electric cars are no more the answer than petrol or diesel.
What is needed is a new holistic approach to the whole problem of transport, because environmentally it is a problem.
What we have is marketing strategy.

Again much misinformation on biomass exists. The BBC and its constant attack on Drax being one such issue.

The latest one being the 24000 tonnes of pellets sourced from an ancient Canadian Forest.
To clarify, Drax don’t have felling licenses in Canada, they buy waste from licensed companies felling trees for lumber, paper etc.
the waste would otherwise have been left where it had been cut, to rot down which releases methane, which is far more potent than carbon dioxide as a greenhouse gas.

Secondly 24000 tonnes of pellets would run the plant for around 20 hours.

If the BBC wanted to make a stand against biomass burning it could have mentioned that if Drax had started planting trees on its first day of operation at the rate it does now, the station would have been carbon neutral a decade ago….burning coal.

Last edited:

Dispute the notion of an emergency but yes it’s extremely quick off the mark ….

Right now, the grid is taking around 50% of its generation from fossil fuel stations. The inter connectors are producing more than wind…..that’s 25GW of wind turbines producing 2.5GW of usable power.

Electric cars are no more the answer than petrol or diesel.
What is needed is a new holistic approach to the whole problem of transport, because environmentally it is a problem.
What we have is marketing strategy.

Again much misinformation on biomass exists. The BBC and its constant attack on Drax being one such issue.

The latest one being the 24000 tonnes of pellets sourced from an ancient Canadian Forest.
To clarify, Drax don’t have felling licenses in Canada, they buy waste from licensed companies felling trees for lumber, paper etc.
the waste would otherwise have been left where it had been cut, to rot down which releases methane, which is far more potent than carbon dioxide as a greenhouse gas.

Secondly 24000 tonnes of pellets would run the plant for around 20 hours.

If the BBC wanted to make a stand against biomass burning it could have mentioned that if Drax had started planting trees on its first day of operation at the rate it does now, the station would have been carbon neutral a decade ago….burning coal.

I said it first time round- hydrogen makes the most sense.

imo the invisible elephant in the room is power and control. abundant clean energy would turn the world as we know it on its head. too many interests don't want that.

It's clean for the user /user's country and much better for climate.

It isn't very clean to mine the lithium etc.
Nor any form of mining, tbf.
You're right.
I'm *this* close to having a rant about smartphones if you lot are going to continue to make that argument though.
Just get a Nokia, the apps are not required.