Potential targets(GITB video link)? | Page 2 | Vital Football

Potential targets(GITB video link)?

Come on, Alex. In the main it's simply some well intentioned speculation, a staple for a fun fuelled forum. I enjoyed Matt s video, though of all the Mansfield players he mentioned, he omitted their star defender Aden Flint, who would be excellent in our back line and whose contract is, I believe, currently under review 😀
He has said that the picks were based on where he felt vacant positions would occur.I to would like a experienced leader at the back .

I also look forward to watching all GITB videos and postings and I am very thankful for the work put in. I hope Matt has a lovely summer.

While none of the names that Matt has put forward particularly inspires me, that is not a bad thing either, as none of them would initially seem to be "star" signings and most are probably achievable. By the law of averages, at least one could turn out to be a gem. The skill will be in picking the right one.

We have seen in the case of Josh Walker that just having a pretty good record in the NL does not necessarily mean they can step up and help a side get promoted to League One. Still no one else has come in for Paul McCallum who averages nearly a goal a game at that level.

At this time, the player I would most like us to secure is the Accrington lad (Pritchard) as it seems like he may be the leader we need. As for pace and strikers, they could be one or two of Matt's picks, most of which will have hopefully been scouted and researched thoroughly.

Come on, Alex. In the main it's simply some well intentioned speculation, a staple for a fun fuelled forum. I enjoyed Matt s video, though of all the Mansfield players he mentioned, he omitted their star defender Aden Flint, who would be excellent in our back line and whose contract is, I believe, currently under review 😀
As I said Lancs, I enjoyed his video presentation as well and have great respect for what he does during the season. My gripe is not with him, it is the fact that people will now be sharpening their knives in readiness for the upcoming transfer speculation and lets be honest, tensions van mount pretty quickly when it comes to a "he's crap - no he's far better than the player you're suggesting" etc. etc.. Clearly we all want the best for the (our) team, only trouble being that we know sweet Fanny Adams regarding budget, who KJ/AH have watched and been enamoured by and - most importantly, how Clemance wants to set the team up.

I'm setting myself up for some flak here so I may as well get this of my chest. I have big problems with threads regarding "who do we want to see leave Priestfield during the Summer". Most of the first team were mentioned by one of another poster and I cannot think of anything more counterproductive than a player (and they do read these threads) seeing his name getting bandied about as someone we should get shot of. I would imagine that most people would lose interest in their job if they were told that their services were no longer required and they were handed a months notice. I'd like to think that I would still do my best but in all honesty, I think I would probably do just the bare minimum tp ensure I got my pay at the end of the month. Have to say though, it is no longer relevant in my situation as both my wife and I are OAP's.

It ain't easy being a football supporter, especially operating on our level.

. I would imagine that most people would lose interest in their job if they were told that their services were no longer required and they were handed a months notice.
Wouldn't have thought anyone would have been given a month's notice, SC will be having those conversations next week at the earliest. Their motivation should be trying to earn a new contract if they want to stay.

Wouldn't have thought anyone would have been given a month's notice, SC will be having those conversations next week at the earliest.
Agreed, but I only used that as an analogy we all could have faced at one time or another in our careers. A contract is generally finite unless there is an extension option written into it.

Last edited:
Wouldn't have thought anyone would have been given a month's notice, SC will be having those conversations next week at the earliest. Their motivation should be trying to earn a new contract if they want to stay.
Or gain a lucrative contract elsewhere?

If you think about it, unless you are looking to retire if your contract is not renewed, there should NO scenario where downing tools is a great strategy for a player.

If the writing is on the wall, putting yourself at the front of the shop window is pretty tempting.

I do agree with Alex to an extent, though. Nobody should be more obsessed with who we want to leave. That is secondary to assessing player signings that can improve us.

Not a case of downing tools just human nature. In the real world different people handle contract near endings and pitential redundancy differently.

Also handle the criticism etc differently.

This is the time of year when the manager has each player whose contract is expiring in, individually, and tells them their fate.
It must be a very tough job, especially for an inexperienced manager.
I expect that most out of contract players already know how it pans out either way because they will be aware of what is happening.
Some players in contract will also be told that they are free to look elsewhere if they can get a deal.

I do agree with Alex to an extent, though. Nobody should be more obsessed with who we want to leave. That is secondary to assessing player signings that can improve us.

Yes, and no.

Culture and openness to incremental change is important too. All players have different motivations - we need to ensure players - especially senior pros - buy into a hungry and accountable culture. Some are (understandably) more invested in thinking about where their next pay check comes from, not necessarily building a dynasty at Gillingham. As fans, our motivations aren't aligned.

My point is, by now SC will see where some of these potential road blocks are. Listen and implement is key. Ultimately it comes down to that buy in as much as anything else!

As I said Lancs, I enjoyed his video presentation as well and have great respect for what he does during the season. My gripe is not with him, it is the fact that people will now be sharpening their knives in readiness for the upcoming transfer speculation and lets be honest, tensions van mount pretty quickly when it comes to a "he's crap - no he's far better than the player you're suggesting" etc. etc.. Clearly we all want the best for the (our) team, only trouble being that we know sweet Fanny Adams regarding budget, who KJ/AH have watched and been enamoured by and - most importantly, how Clemance wants to set the team up.

I'm setting myself up for some flak here so I may as well get this of my chest. I have big problems with threads regarding "who do we want to see leave Priestfield during the Summer". Most of the first team were mentioned by one of another poster and I cannot think of anything more counterproductive than a player (and they do read these threads) seeing his name getting bandied about as someone we should get shot of. I would imagine that most people would lose interest in their job if they were told that their services were no longer required and they were handed a months notice. I'd like to think that I would still do my best but in all honesty, I think I would probably do just the bare minimum tp ensure I got my pay at the end of the month. Have to say though, it is no longer relevant in my situation as both my wife and I are OAP's.

Yes, I see your points, AF. However, in recent months, there`s been a lot emerging "between the lines" both written and spoken by ownership and head coach. Sufficient, in my view, to speculate, consider and mull over possible new players.

Leaving departures to one side, I`ll be joining in with many on here to speculate over possible newcomers to our team. It`s what we do, it`s forum fun and it kind of keeps fans in the loop as we enter the "long-lay-off".

A factor that affects speculation is the speed, or lack of it, taken to sign-up new players. I`m hoping that our Ownership has seen the folly in leaving such matters to the last minute !

Yes, I see your points, AF. However, in recent months, there`s been a lot emerging "between the lines" both written and spoken by ownership and head coach. Sufficient, in my view, to speculate, consider and mull over possible new players.

Leaving departures to one side, I`ll be joining in with many on here to speculate over possible newcomers to our team. It`s what we do, it`s forum fun and it kind of keeps fans in the loop as we enter the "long-lay-off".

A factor that affects speculation is the speed, or lack of it, taken to sign-up new players. I`m hoping that our Ownership has seen the folly in leaving such matters to the last minute !
As long as it remains forum fun I have absolutely no problems with it at all, it becomes a problem when the talons emerge if there is a disagreement over a specific player, and sometimes they are bloody sharp. I do realise that in life differences of opinion occur, however, as long as it remains at "banter level" then all is good, unfortunately at times, the level dropped and it appeared that some personal gripes re-emerged and were fought out in the thread. We all support/love this club and I would hope than any old arguments would be laid to rest elsewhere.

Last edited:

It is a fair point about those that are leaving. Matt seems fairly convinced that all of our central defenders will stay.But given we don't know the targets or indeed who is out of contract it is pure guess work and wishful thinking.
Personally I think Masterson could be the subject of a transfer bid which we may or may not be able to fight off .Sometimes fighting off bigger clubs can be counter productive as far as the players attitude is concerned. Ehmer if out of contract could possibly be leaving especially if we are looking for more leadership in that area .
As for your clearly hate for spending summer debating and hunting through names that is what this and other message boards are all about opinion?
I remember welcoming JET and Ewan Roberts which shows how horribly wrong we can be .
As for the players I suspect by now most know weather they are likely to leave .Those in contract will have had hints of deals elsewhere if there is any chance of moving on .It is unlikely anyone will move without a club to go too?
In the same way we would have started to lay the ground with agents of our initial targets.
My own gut feeling is that we will go young and be willing to pay fees for more players. Those offered deals but under 24 being top of my personal hunch list.
That I believe will be our change of direction. Younger players will also fit the going for a coach as against manager route.The key period begins in the summer. Hard to develop players during the season.

Last edited:
It is a fair point about those that are leaving. Matt seems fairly convinced that all of our central defenders will stay.But given we don't know the targets or indeed who is out of contract it is pure guess work and wishful thinking.
Personally I think Masterson could be the subject of a transfer bid which we may or may not be able to fight off .Sometimes fighting off bigger clubs can be counter productive as far as the players attitude is concerned. Ehmer if out of contract could possibly be leaving especially if we are looking for more leadership in that area .
As for your clearly hate for spending summer debating and hunting through names that is what this and other message boards are all about opinion?
I remember welcoming JET and Ewan Roberts which shows how horribly wrong we can be .
As for the players I suspect by now most know weather they are likely to leave .Those in contract will have had hints of deals elsewhere if there is any chance of moving on .It is unlikely anyone will move without a club to go too?
In the same way we would have started to lay the ground with agents of our initial targets.
My own gut feeling is that we will go young and be willing to pay fees for more players. Those offered deals but under 24 being top of my personal hunch list.
That I believe will be our change of direction. Younger players will also fit the going for a coach as against manager route.The key period begins in the summer. Hard to develop players during the season.
I have no doubt there will be a lot of interest in Masterson and we may have a difficult task when trying to keep him. Let's not forget Coleman either. He has blossomed into a super midfielder/defender and again, it would surprise me if there wasn't and enquiry or two regarding his availablity. To make things worse, I know he has not been with us too long but I feel certain that Hutton will have suprised a few clubs since he joined us. I've mentioned it before those who said he couldn't defend for toffee must be biting their hands off. Last one I would not want to lose is Ogie. Again, not getting much playing time before joining us but almost a shoe-in this season. Yes he has made a couple of mistakes which cost us goal but.... he will learn and when all the silly mistakes have been ironed out, he will be at championship level for certain.

My feeling is still that Mahoney will move on, even though he has been making all the right noises about staying. As others have said, we would surely miss him however he flits in and out of the game too much. When he is on song, he can be brilliant, unfortunately this is ofthen the case. Maybe a lack of concentration, who knows but if he did raise his contribution in a game, Huddersfield would take him back like a shot.

One last remark Chris, going after a number of players younger that 24 could turn out to be very costly as their clubs will be able to ask a fee for them. Also, and we have had a lot of luck here, they are still developing their skills and might not fit in with any ideas SC might have spinning around in his head.

I guess we will both have to have some patience and see what develops in May/June

May for departures.June/July more probably for arrivals.
As long as it goes quicker than it did last year Chris I'm happy, although I think most contracts run up to the 31st of May unless there is an agreement between club and player that they can move on before or on that date. I also think that a player, who is offered a contract extension, should only have a finite amount of time to make a decision and sign. If there is no decison agreed by that date, then the club should automatically end any and all discussions with him and thank him for his services.

Harsh? Maybe but the club should never again be held hostage by a player.

As long as it goes quicker than it did last year Chris I'm happy, although I think most contracts run up to the 31st of May unless there is an agreement between club and player that they can move on before or on that date. I also think that a player, who is offered a contract extension, should only have a finite amount of time to make a decision and sign. If there is no decison agreed by that date, then the club should automatically end any and all discussions with him and thank him for his services.

Harsh? Maybe but the club should never again be held hostage by a player.
Contracts End of June. But around the end of May clubs have to announce there retained list.