Parallels with the 1981/82 Season? | Vital Football

Parallels with the 1981/82 Season?

hulloutpost

Vital Champions League
The 1981/82 season, so near yet so far. The great Colin Murphy side - you know the names, they roll off the tongue. After an unremarkable first half of the season, the Imps went into overdrive during the new year with a 16 match unbeaten run commencing with a 3-0 victory against Chester on 3rd February, ending with an agonising 1-0 defeat against champions to be Burnley, on April 10th.

Of course the drama was only just beginning as the Imps went into their last 'winner takes all' game at a feverish Craven Cottage on May 18th knowing that the victors would book an automatic promotion spot to the second tier. As it was, valiant 10 man Lincoln fought back from a goal down to snatch a 1-1 draw, with Fulham clinging on for dear life in front of a 20,000 crowd - many from Lincoln. Alas it wasn't quite enough and Fulham sneaked over the line by a solitary point.

Fast forward over 40 years and the echoes of that season are there. An indifferent first half of the season, totally eclipsed by Michael Skubala's turbo charged Imps kicking off an incredible 18 match unbeaten run at Wycombe in January, only being ended in the dying embers of the home fixture versus Wigan Athletic in April.

That leaves a certain final fixture against Champions Portsmouth, with the Imps knowing that victory (bar an outrageous swing in goal difference) will guarantee them another shot at promotion to the second tier of English football.

So how do the results and statistics compare for the two seasons; well let's take a peek:

1981/82 P46 W21 D14 L11 F66 A40 GD+26 PTS 77
2023/24 P45 W20 D14 L11 F65 A38 GD+27 PTS 74

Those figures are eerily similar and of course victory in the final game will match up the WLD and points columns exactly, with probably little in it with regard goals for/against and GD.

The big difference of course is that should the modern day Lincoln side achieve such parity, via the play offs they will be rightly rewarded with an extended crack at the promotion cruelly denied Murph's heroes in the pre play offs era.

Will history repeat itself decades later with final day agony, or can the Imps lay this particular ghost to rest and use a 77 point spring board to finally return to the division they jointly founded in 1892 and not visited for over 60 years. Here's to it being good omens.

If the parallel continues let's hope next season turns out better than 1982/83 did (although a 9-0 win at some point would be nice).

But seeing as Mr Nates is no Gilbert Blades it's unlikely to be replicated.

There are some parallels between the two seasons, however because of a bad 1981/2 winter the Imps did not play many games between late November and mid Jan and were in a false position in the league come the turn of the year - if memory serves that break allowed for some injuries to be attended to, the squad was very thin back then.

Everyone focusses on the last match of the season at Craven Cottage, but to me promotion was lost that season away at Turf Moor on Easter Monday, when the Imps should have really won, but lost to a Billy Hamilton wonder goal and a sub par performance at relegation bound Swindon on a bumpy pitch.

It is impossible to compare sides from completely different eras, but to me the Murph's pound for pound is the better of the two. But, if this current crop of Imps does make it over the line to the Championship, I'll celebrate with the best of them.

Last edited:
Great piece. That comparison had gone through my thoughts a few times but never realised how identical the stats were. Just hope Portsmouth don’t become the Fulham and we can get over the line. Whatever happens though, it’s been a fabulous ride since the New Year.

The only thing I will say about comparisons is that the 81/82 side had time left in their careers to play higher and cement their quality in memories - Peake, Cockerill, Hobson, Cunningham and added to that were some Lincoln legends Neale, Bell, Ward, Thompson.

Given time, where will Erhahon, Sorensen, Taylor, Draper, Roughan, House, Moylan etc. play before they retire.

Maybe we should judge this squad again in a few years' time.

We still had a chance after that draw at Fulham. Carlisle needed to beat Chester the following night and pop robson scored for them in a 1-0 win.
Then during the summer it be looked as if wolves were going to become an extinct species and Lincoln would be promoted to fill the place in the division above.

There are some parallels between the two seasons, however because of a bad 1981/2 winter the Imps did not play many games between late November and mid Jan and were in a false position in the league come the turn of the year - if memory serves that break allowed for some injuries to be attended to, the squad was very thin back then.

Everyone focusses on the last match of the season at Craven Cottage, but to me promotion was lost that season away at Turf Moor on Easter Monday, when the Imps should have really won, but lost to a Billy Hamilton wonder goal and a sub par performance at relegation bound Swindon on a bumpy pitch.

It is impossible to compare sides from completely different eras, but to me the Murph's pound for pound is the better of the two. But, if this current crop of Imps does make it over the line to the Championship, I'll celebrate with the best of them.
Our next fixture after December 5th was January 16th. We would normally have played about 6 or 7 more games in that period. I think the Burnley game is where we missed a penalty to either equalise or take the lead?

1981/82 P46 W21 D14 L11 F66 A40 GD+26 PTS 77
2023/24 P45 W20 D14 L11 F65 A38 GD+27 PTS 74
Blimey, I knew it was very similar, but not almost exact?
Will history repeat itself decades later with final day agony, or can the Imps lay this particular ghost to rest and use a 77 point spring board to finally return to the division they jointly founded in 1892 and not visited for over 60 years. Here's to it being good omens.
I have always said the 1982 side was our best ever, especially that I’ve witnessed. That crazy 16 goals in a week has eclipsed everything though …. I thought 2nd half the players looked remarkably fresh which bodes well if we can make the lottery next weekend.

I think the Burnley game is where we missed a penalty to either equalise or take the lead?

Yes, George Shipley hit the post from the spot. Up until that point the Imps had been utterly dominate and a few minutes later Hamilton pops up on the right to curl a 30 yarder in. I was right behind the flight of the ball, Felgate had no chance, one of those that happens in slow motion.

Hamilton went on to have a not to shabby World Cup in the Summer for NI.

Yes, George Shipley hit the post from the spot. Up until that point the Imps had been utterly dominate and a few minutes later Hamilton pops up on the right to curl a 30 yarder in. I was right behind the flight of the ball, Felgate had no chance, one of those that happens in slow motion.

Hamilton went on to have a not to shabby World Cup in the Summer for NI.
I still remember a little urchin lobbing half a brick in the direction of my car as I made a rapid exit from a Burnley car park (or bomb site).

If the parallel continues let's hope next season turns out better than 1982/83 did (although a 9-0 win at some point would be nice).

But seeing as Mr Nates is no Gilbert Blades it's unlikely to be replicated.
Well on field we would be in the playoffs again !
I think if the calendar year 1982 was a season we would have walked the league!

Unless my memory is failing me, Hamilton scored with a hooked volley from around 8 to 10 yards in that game at Burnley.

Hobbo equalised away at Cardiff near the end of the game there but it was flagged offside. Obviously we didn’t think he was and it was big club being favoured again for us.

I was very young back then, so I can't really compare from my own memory. But early 1980s there were almost zero foreign players in the English football pyramid. The likes of Hobson, Thompson and Cockerill may have only ended up as championship footballers at their peak if they played in a league equivalent to today, saturated by global talent. Sacrilegious maybe, but also palpably true. I actually think MAPs side, before the decline, played the best football I've seen by the imps - just marginally better than this one. (But this team looks more sustainable- regardless of what happens this season.)

The only thing I will say about comparisons is that the 81/82 side had time left in their careers to play higher and cement their quality in memories - Peake, Cockerill, Hobson, Cunningham and added to that were some Lincoln legends Neale, Bell, Ward, Thompson.
Of course John Ward only played in one game that season - the afore-mentioned defeat at Swindon.