The Official Mansfield Town Match Thread (Sponsored by Birthday Laxatives "for all your party pooping needs") | Vital Football

The Official Mansfield Town Match Thread (Sponsored by Birthday Laxatives "for all your party pooping needs")

HerrLjunga

Vital 1st Team Regular
The penultimate game of a frustrating season for Gills comes this afternoon at Mansfield, a side who secured their promotion to League One next season by beating Accrington on Tuesday night. Congratulations Stags.

While there remains a mathematical chance of a playoff spot it would take a miraculous series of results to see us achieve that, even optimistically assuming that the Stags are still in party mode this afternoon and won't mind us walking off with the three points.

Gills have a number of injury doubts for today, Lapslie might not line up against his old side, Walker is probably still seeing stars after last weekend's vicious assault, Jefferies is still finding his fitness and there are a few others unnamed who might also miss out.

For Mansfield, Tom Nichols may not have earned too many plaudits since making the January switch from Priestfield, but what odds him finding his shooting boots this afternoon now the pressure is off? Edit: Having checked apparently the odds are 9/4 for him to find the net, slightly more attractive than the 3/1 for Nadesan to do the same...

In the 53 fixtures between the sides we've only emerged victorious on 15 occasions since our first meeting in 1931. Field Mill is also not a happy hunting ground for us with just one win in our last 17 visits dating back to 1967. Unsurprisingly, that limits the highlights reel somewhat, so it's back to March 1996 and a hard fought 0-1 Gills win courtesy of a John Gayle header and a quality save from Big Fat Jim.

Fair play to the sterling Gills support for virtually selling out our allocation given there's only the merest scintilla of competitive interest in today's fixture. The numbers following the side have been phenomenal all season and quite frankly we've deserved more. Hopefully the players can put on a bit of a performance today to reward those making the final trip of the season.

Safe travels if you're making the journey, enjoy the game and...

COYG!!!

Whilst I agree with those on the other thread that by 5pm our season will more than likely be over, this is football, this is Gills, and for the next 3 1/2 hours we can all dream of what if...

Ifollowed up and coronas in the fridge.

(If we win and are still in with a chance of 7th I’ve got a nice Barolo ready to open @SE1_Gills )

Whilst I agree with those on the other thread that by 5pm our season will more than likely be over, this is football, this is Gills, and for the next 3 1/2 hours we can all dream of what if...

Ifollowed up and coronas in the fridge.

(If we win and are still in with a chance of 7th I’ve got a nice Barolo ready to open @SE1_Gills )
Not tempted to open it now to let it breathe a bit… (just in case)