What do you want next season

• Champions League

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Europa

Votes: 10 83.3%

• Total voters

Spursex

Alert Team
For sometime now, we've been debating the possibility of CL v Europa next season. I'll hold my hands up, I was all for making it an unlikely incredible season and getting in a CL place.

But after watching recent CL games it occurred to me, we really need a 'stepping stone' and a small revamp before we are likely to be ready for CL football, so I've changed my mind and although I've always thought CL football was extremely unlikely, I wanted it because I do love the CL.

So now I’m all for the Europa whilst Ange builds his team and this young inexperienced team can cut it's teeth in what looks an increasingly difficult Europa league.

Money/income will be less of course, but the differential isn't now the hug chasm it once was, and as Ange has said, we're not bankers, most fans couldn't care less about our balance sheet and our ability to spend, they just desperately want the silverware monkey off out back.

I believe the Europa may well be our best chance; what say you?

Am obviously the 2nd to vote Europa and not CL, it surely has to be the way, as I have said before "Small steps" are needed.

Ex has used the terms "Cutting teeth" n "Stepping stones" all 3 sayings mean the same in general, rebuilding! cos that is the position we are in.

In general this new Coach n young side are not ready for the CL yet!

I really do think the sink or swim philosophy doesn't/will not work here!

For sometime now, we've been debating the possibility of CL v Europa next season. I'll hold my hands up, I was all for making it an unlikely incredible season and getting in a CL place.

But after watching recent CL games it occurred to me, we really need a 'stepping stone' and a small revamp before we are likely to be ready for CL football, so I've changed my mind and although I've always thought CL football was extremely unlikely, I wanted it because I do love the CL.

So now I’m all for the Europa whilst Ange builds his team and this young inexperienced team can cut it's teeth in what looks an increasingly difficult Europa league.

Money/income will be less of course, but the differential isn't now the hug chasm it once was, and as Ange has said, we're not bankers, most fans couldn't care less about our balance sheet and our ability to spend, they just desperately want the silverware monkey off out back.

I believe the Europa may well be our best chance; what say you?
I agree with you Spursex. The Europa League is actually a very strong competition - look at some of the teams in it this season. Add in the Champions League drop outs, it will be a very difficult competition for us to win and a great test of Ange's ability to utilise the squad.
I presume it will effect the number of players going out on loan - I would like to see some of the younger players being given a chance, at least in the early stages of the competition.
I imagine that tickets will be priced accordingly which will hopefully lead to full houses and a great atmosphere at the games.

I'm still on the fence.

When I think about the 36 teams in any CL competition, we are more than half way above their best teams and their overall squads. We're also a young and improving squad. Poch got us to a CL final with a declining team that even had a Sissoko in it. In my head, the root cause to why we wouldn't want to be in the CL is the manager's tactics. I'm not worried about that because if he proves us wrong and they work, happy days. If they don't, then we get faster to the outcome that we might need a manager change for the long haul anyway. There's also another element in that this season the door is ajar to get 4th place. What happens if Chelsea, Utd, Newcastle come on strong and Villa use the additional funding to become a genuine top 6 side.

I'm not against EL though. In the CL, I think you almost have to field a close to best side in every game. In the EL, there is no reason why guys like Phillips can't take his place in the back four. As long as we have the nucleus of a strong side and don't make wholesale changes there is plenty of space for rest and rotation through the campaign. That makes the younger players more first team ready for the PL.

This is actually a win, win situation. The only way it would't be is if we lose a 10 point lead in a 6 match final stretch. We'd have way more to worry about if that's the case.

We are not ready for CL. Europa will provide everything we need from Europe next season.

Another valid point was Ange stating he doesnt want players at the club who just come for CL football. Well this would ensure they didnt come for that. Whilst he is building his team i dont particularly care about an ass whupping from Real Madrid.

Try and be positive! Lol!

It is, of course, only a question that can be answered when we are in one or the other - and I think we'll cling on to get a EL place and depending on whom we then buy, could have a great shot at.

I know...I know...but I am not upset. This is just me being honest and a realist. I do think we will land in the EL, which is I think a good next step for us. Heck I don't even care if we win it....just go deep.

The real key and a sign of true growth...is to stop consistently crashing out of tournaments early....

I think next season will be as hard as ever trying to get top 4.

City and Arsenal will be shoo-ins imo.

Liverpool will be interesting. There will be no guarantees on how they go with a new manager at the helm.

No doubt Chelsea will be a lot more consistent next season. We are starting to see it already over the past few weeks (currently 8 games unbeaten in the league)

Newcastle will be very strong next season once all their players are back fit and Villa will continue to improve under Emery.

If I was betting on a Top 4 for next season right now I’d say;

City, Arsenal, Newcastle and Chelsea

So, playing EL next season would also give us another route into the CL.

On a side note. As a football fan I think that it’s incredible to have such a competitive league with so many teams competing for the Top 6.

I think next season will be as hard as ever trying to get top 4.

City and Arsenal will be shoo-ins imo.

Liverpool will be interesting. There will be no guarantees on how they go with a new manager at the helm.

No doubt Chelsea will be a lot more consistent next season. We are starting to see it already over the past few weeks (currently 8 games unbeaten in the league)

Newcastle will be very strong next season once all their players are back fit and Villa will continue to improve under Emery.

If I was betting on a Top 4 for next season right now I’d say;

City, Arsenal, Newcastle and Chelsea

So, playing EL next season would also give us another route into the CL.

On a side note. As a football fan I think that it’s incredible to have such a competitive league with so many teams competing for the Top 6.
I see S10 you do not mention us lot being stronger next season, new signings, lessons learnt.

Do you not think that we might just have a say in all things next season?