FA cup replays - gone | Page 2 | Vital Football

FA cup replays - gone

The FA have made clear where their priorities lie on this. The justification :"in light of changes to the calendar driven by the expanded Uefa competitions".

Exactly what percentage of the football pyramid are affected by the expanding European calendar?

Terrible decision.

I knew somebody who was on the FA council when i lived in North London. He cared deeply about the local grassroots game. He died 10 years ago but he once said:

"these bastards (The FA) don't care about grassroots football. As far as they're concerned football starts in the Championship".

This is just another sad indictment of an FA controlled by the Premier League. It's gone too far and isn't coming back - ever.

I’d be quite keen to see the Super League so the big boys in the Premier League can fxxk right off and play each other endlessly, whilst the rest of football gets on with things in a far more traditional manner. Am I alone ?
Nope

Most of this is down to foreign ownership of our clubs and media (sky). Neither should have been allowed.
You`re right, Jerry. Have to say, also, with all due respect to our own owners, at the Premiership level, it`s also down to the creeping Americanisation of English & Welsh football, sorry, soccer !

Not sure why you’d bring them into it given they didn’t have any replays during their incredible cup run.
True enough nibbles. maybe I should have thought a wee bit longer instead of just using them as an example. There are, however, enough other examples where teams from lower divisions have had "nice little earner" after having drawn the home tie against a "more illustrious" opponent.

Example was wrong, the essence was correct.

Cray Valley Paper Mills received £25k TV money and over £50k in ticket sales for their replay against Charlton. A whole river of footballs trickle down economics cut off at source from the successfull lower clubs.

The FA cup was once the heartbeat of English football; looked forward to for weeks and the most exciting day of the season even for those of us supporting teams which had no hope of getting to Wembley.
The ever increasing internationalisation of the EPL has inevitably reduced commitment from the top teams, with owners, managers and players not remotely caught up in the competition and with little or no understanding of grass roots fans attachment to it.
Personally I hardly bother to follow European club names any more, who cares if one lot of international mercenaries wins or loses against another ? Sadly the money and big six will continue to set the agenda and the FA is a pathetic, supine accomplice in the degeneration of what was once the world's best cup competition.

Can the EFL now refuse to play Premier under 21's teams in the cup competitions?
They probably could, but then PL sides could refuse to loan their players out in favour of sending them abroad (benefitting neither side really), and it creates a vicious cycle.

Hopefully upon reflection someone sensible reviews the situation and reinstates replays for, say, the first three rounds. Thereafter most lower league teams are out anyway. I think that would be a reasonable compromise.