Season Ticket Pricing Presentation | Page 8 | Vital Football

Season Ticket Pricing Presentation

My thanks to both yourself and Jock. I recall the debate a year ago as to whether the board needed to be represented. That argument had certainly been put to bed and welcome the updates you both provide us in a hot off the press fashion.

Gotta ask - was a clean up of the seats mentioned given the bird shit.

It did get a very brief mention MiW but was lost in the changing of seats & the closing of some sections of the stands with something a bit more befitting than just the standard black netting...perhaps if we have another we could ask for a AOB section where that & other things could be brought up properly 🤔

It did get a very brief mention MiW but was lost in the changing of seats & the closing of some sections of the stands with something a bit more befitting than just the standard black netting...perhaps if we have another we could ask for a AOB section where that & other things could be brought up properly 🤔

Cheers Jock. Sounds petty but it’s akin to sitting in a birdcage that hasn’t been cleaned out for six months.

The meeting was about 90 mins and lead by Lucas Danson with lots of opportunity for questionsand suggestions. There were probably about 15 -20 fans and other people from the club in the meeting from various different roles.

The clubs already put a lot of the main points out but some of the other things discussed:

- Lucas has a successful business career and is focused on bringing data analytics to the club to help improve on and off the pitch.

- the ownership are very ambitious to go up to the Championship and eventually the Prem. But it must be done in a way that won't put the clubs financial future at risk like the last 2 ownerships did.

- a large part of the budget being tied up in high wages has made this season challenging but they are optimistic that without any restrictions next season they can put together a strong side.

- the playing budget is set for next season and a list of targets identified.

- CEO recruitment is ongoing.

- Administration a few years ago lost years of data about the past ticket sales and the previous ticketing system had issues so they haven't inherited much data to work with. So they are gathering it now as they go and as it builds up it will help them to more effectively strategise. The data is going to be a big part of how we work going forward. Warriors also had a lack of decent data when they arrived.

- There are currently 6k season ticket holders. They average about 5k on the day ticket sales. But not all season ticket holders attend every game.

- They have been looking at what other L1 clubs have been doing and our prices are very competitive and in some cases much cheaper than other top end L1 clubs.

- There are a lot of plans they are exploring to improve attendance, infrastructure and increase revenues beyond what was shared today.

- The delay in the launch of the full Ticketmaster site was an issue at TM's end but it should be sorted out now.

- They have learned a lot from the issues Warriors faced on their season ticket launch and their issues shouldn't repeat for our launch.

- There will be incentives and promotions for individual games but they will ensure that they don't undercut the value of season tickets.

- Last season the season ticket renewal deadline kept getting extended due to all of the off field issues. But this year it will be a 2 month window that will not be extended.

- There is a big focus on trying to bring in the next generation of Latics fans which is reflective in the pricing.

- There is a kids club scheme in the works.

- They work with over 100 schools and have incentives planned with the aim to get thousands more kids to attend.

- No family season ticket this season but it is being considered. But may be offers for family's to individual games.

- the Warriors pension tickets being at 60 and us being at 65 is down to completely different marketing strategies for different sports. Most football sides pension tickets start at 65.

- No joint season ticket options with Warriors this season.

- Safe standing has been considered but it's not currently on the horizon.

- Disabled supporters should be able to buy tickets via the new website and link accounts with carers.

- There are no plans to do reciprocal ticketing prices with other clubs.

- Away ticket priority is going to be a points based system, you will get points for season ticket, fans fund, individual match tickets that add up.

- They want to improve the match day experience and make food and drink options better, plus improve off pitch entertainment and fan zone so people want to come earlier and stay later.

- They realise the importance of communicating with the fans and will hold more meetings like this. They want to prove themselves to the fans through their actions.

Overall i think it was an interesting and positive meeting and it was reassuring to hear about the plans for the club moving forward on and off the field.

Jock please let me know if you disagree with my interpretation of anything or want to add anything I've missed.
I’d be interested to know how next seasons budget compares to others in league 1 and which players we are interested in signing. I don’t actually think you need to spend a transfer fee to build a decent team in this league as there are enough decent loan and out of contract players available at the end of each season. From recent games I was impressed by Lawal (Fleetwood), Adahme (Cambridge) and think Powell (Burton) could be a possible target.

I’d be interested to know how next seasons budget compares to others in league 1 and which players we are interested in signing. I don’t actually think you need to spend a transfer fee to build a decent team in this league as there are enough decent loan and out of contract players available at the end of each season. From recent games I was impressed by Lawal (Fleetwood), Adahme (Cambridge) and think Powell (Burton) could be a possible target.

When the subject of budgets briefly came up during the meeting it was stated quite categorically that budgets aren't divulged as that would lead to other clubs knowing what your going to spend & adjust their asking prices accordingly....

When the subject of budgets briefly came up during the meeting it was stated quite categorically that budgets aren't divulged as that would lead to other clubs knowing what your going to spend & adjust their asking prices accordingly....
You’d think such a reply would be a pretty obvious statement to make.

Does this implie that we will have a budget to buy players

BLOODY HELL "IMPLY"

Last edited:

There were some questions that came up that were outside season tickets but they largely wanted to keep it on topic. So we didn't get the opportunity to talk much about anything like that. Not that you'd expect them to give out exact numbers or anything to that extent.

But I agree, having more money obviously helps but I think there's always plenty of gems on frees, loans and nominal fees if you can get your recruit right. The 3 you mentioned would be 3 I'd certainly look at.

As I said in the other post, it was briefly discussed & they obv have a strategy / plans in place / players identified....does that mean we might buy players...I don't know 🤔
Yeh, apart from my spelling issues...

I was neither questioning nor challenging what you reported especially after giving up your time to attend.

I was simply putting this out into the ether as a thought/interpretation, but linking it to your post for context and to save retyping what you reported.
No criticism of your good work from Skaro or Monte Carlo 😀

Last edited:
Yeh, apart from my spelling issues...

I was neither questioning nor challenging what you reported especially after giving up your time to attend.

I was simply putting this out into the ether as a thought/interpretation, but linking it to your post for context and to save retyping what you reported.
No criticism of your good work from Skaro or Monte Carlo 😀
I didn't think you were questioning or challenging what I'd reported n apologies if u think I was....all reasonable n relevant questions are what both KDZ & myself expect seeing as we are going there on the forums behalf ....🍻

I suspect there will be a lot of uncertainty. If important players leave then the strength/weaknesses of the team changes. If the status quo remained then I think the key is identifying the positions in which recruitment (loans/free/fee) can make the biggest difference to the team. For me the two positions would be a centre forward and ball winning midfielder and they would make such a massive difference as to how we play and perform.

Lucas gave us a little bit of his background but i didn't manage to capture the details in my notes. But it was clear he's really interested in the analytics and wants to bring in as much of that as possible.

I suspect there will be a lot of uncertainty. If important players leave then the strength/weaknesses of the team changes. If the status quo remained then I think the key is identifying the positions in which recruitment (loans/free/fee) can make the biggest difference to the team. For me the two positions would be a centre forward and ball winning midfielder and they would make such a massive difference as to how we play and perform.

After all the expected summer departures we'll be left with handful of first team players plus a couple of young lads who'll get a chance to step up. So i imagine we'll probably be looking to bring in players for virtually every position.

I think a target man and def mid as you said will be crucial. But i'd also say if Maloney wants to play wing backs we'll need attacking minded players who can put a cross in for both left and right sides.

All sounds very nice and well presented by the owners
but I am always wary of what folk say
Might just be me hey
But with what was said maybe people who were not going to renew might now do so
Job done
But I will only believe what is said when I see it happen
Like I say might just be me and no it's nothing to do with me not liking warriors
It's more of seeing what happened with last two owners
Big thanks to jock and kdz for the info
PS
what about the blue and white seats lol

After all the expected summer departures we'll be left with handful of first team players plus a couple of young lads who'll get a chance to step up. So i imagine we'll probably be looking to bring in players for virtually every position.

I think a target man and def mid as you said will be crucial. But i'd also say if Maloney wants to play wing backs we'll need attacking minded players who can put a cross in for both left and right sides.

With the uncertainty it will be difficult to plan as I’d imagine it’ll move every few days. Personally I’d knock this wing back system on the head (or certainly not use it as the default plan a) We looked far better on Saturday with a back four. Yes it left us a bit more vulnerable but we looked far better offensively so that trade off for me was worth it. A decent Morsy type in midfield would help with the transition issue and if we have a centre forward who could actually hold a ball up, win some headers and put the opposition defence under pressure it would make such a big difference. You can still play football without over complicating it and being too intricate - it’s a lesson Maloney needs to take on board.

Regarding the possibility of buying players, this is my observation rather than anything said at the past meeting.

At this level very few have big budgets so paying out significant fees can take up a significant portion of it. Meaning clubs try and get the most out of their money through frees and loans like we did this past season.

The difference this season will be we'll be able to pay loan fees and tribunal / nominal fees for the right players which will give us far more options.

We'll probably be in a much better position to attract the better frees as we've moved past the off field problems and points deduction that would've made us far less appealing last summer.

Also without all of the off field crisis management and loss of recruitment staff that pretty much meant Maloney and Rioch were unable to focus on recruitment as they'd probably have liked. This summer hopefully they'll be far better prepared and wont have other things working against them.

I'm expecting our window actively to be a lot like last season (using all the loan spots and a handful of permanent signings on frees) but in theory it should be a bit easier to get better quality of player.

With the uncertainty it will be difficult to plan as I’d imagine it’ll move every few days. Personally I’d knock this wing back system on the head (or certainly not use it as the default plan a) We looked far better on Saturday with a back four. Yes it left us a bit more vulnerable but we looked far better offensively so that trade off for me was worth it. A decent Morsy type in midfield would help with the transition issue and if we have a centre forward who could actually hold a ball up, win some headers and put the opposition defence under pressure it would make such a big difference. You can still play football without over complicating it and being too intricate - it’s a lesson Maloney needs to take on board.

Personally I prefer a back 4, as i think it allows you to double up defensively and offensively in wide areas more easily and gives you an extra man in the midfield to try and control the game.

But if you can get it right wing backs can be very effective, especially if you can get your right and left CB on the overlap. But you really need to have the right type of profile of player to do that well and i don't think we really do.

So if we want to persist with wing backs next season i think we'll need to be really smart with our recruitment and those type of players can be hard to find.

All sounds very nice and well presented by the owners
but I am always wary of what folk say
Might just be me hey
But with what was said maybe people who were not going to renew might now do so
Job done
But I will only believe what is said when I see it happen
Like I say might just be me and no it's nothing to do with me not liking warriors
It's more of seeing what happened with last two owners
Big thanks to jock and kdz for the info
PS
what about the blue and white seats lol

I think after our last 2 owners everyone, including the new ownership know that talk means nothing if it's not back it up with actions.

But i'm not sure the new ownership is really promising anything particularly other than to just run us sensibly and try to incrementally improve things.