Oxford United - Past Encounters | Vital Football

Oxford United - Past Encounters

Jules

Website Owner
Staff member
At Sincil Bank, it was one of Oxford's first matches in the Football League. They had Imp-to-be Bud Houghton and were captained by big Ron Atkinson. RA's brother was also in the team.

The last time I went to their old Manor Ground was the game at the end of November 1982 when it was abandoned about 15 minutes into the second half because of fog with the score 0-0. The first half had been OK, but then it closed in and from behind the goal we couldn't see as far as the halfway line.

City were top of the Third Division at the time but by the time the re-arranged game was played in mid-March we were down to 5th - and no playoffs in those days.

Oxford manager was Jim Smith and they had Trevor Hebberd in their side. Their centre half? David Fogg.

Oxford abandoned 1982.jpg

At Sincil Bank, it was one of Oxford's first matches in the Football League. They had Imp-to-be Bud Houghton and were captained by big Ron Atkinson. RA's brother was also in the team.
Wasn’t their first game in the league at home v The Imps?

Went to the abandoned foggy game, also one with Felgate saving two penalties?
More recently went to the early season one where we were so short of players ( sound familiar) that as I recall was an early experiment of Adelakun playing striker. Only 5 subs including keeper and teenager Billy Brooks

Went to the abandoned foggy game, also one with Felgate saving two penalties?
Yes, that was the season before - October 1981.

It was David McVay's last game for City while Wayne Turner made his debut at left back on loan from Luton.

City took the lead not long after the break when Derek Bell scored for the third league game in a row. David Felgate saved a penalty to preserve the lead but Oxford equalised six minutes from time. Felgate then saved another penalty in the very last minute.

We were in 18th place at the time, but of course went on to finish 4th.

David Felgate at Oxford 1981.jpg

If I recall right, in those days you had the same opponents in the second and fourth games of the season.
Well, they did that season and the one before. But not the one before that - which was in the Second Division so may have been different arrangements.

For City at least it may have been only in the 61/62 and 62/63 seasons that it happened. In 63/64 it was second and fifth and began to be more spread after that although I haven't checked beyond 1967/68.

October 2004, Imps won 1-0 (Franny Green) but the most remarkable stat in that game was the fact that we had 4 goals disallowed in the first half! We Imps in the stand couldn't believe what we were witnessing.

Yes, that was the season before - October 1981.

It was David McVay's last game for City while Wayne Turner made his debut at left back on loan from Luton.

City took the lead not long after the break when Derek Bell scored for the third league game in a row. David Felgate saved a penalty to preserve the lead but Oxford equalised six minutes from time. Felgate then saved another penalty in the very last minute.

We were in 18th place at the time, but of course went on to finish 4th.

View attachment 72669
Remember it well…can’t believe it’s so long ago. I do recall there weren’t many Imps there compared to our support now. Quirky old ground the Manor.

Well, they did that season and the one before. But not the one before that - which was in the Second Division so may have been different arrangements.
I'll check in my (dad's) season tickets when I get home from Norfolk in a day or two.

I'll check in my (dad's) season tickets when I get home from Norfolk in a day or two.
I've just checked two random years on footballwebpages and it was true in both 1952 and 1955, so I might not bother looking at others. Looks like the Oxford year was the last time.

The last time I went to their old Manor Ground was the game at the end of November 1982 when it was abandoned about 15 minutes into the second half because of fog with the score 0-0. The first half had been OK, but then it closed in and from behind the goal we couldn't see as far as the halfway line.

City were top of the Third Division at the time but by the time the re-arranged game was played in mid-March we were down to 5th - and no playoffs in those days.

Oxford manager was Jim Smith and they had Trevor Hebberd in their side. Their centre half? David Fogg.

View attachment 72659
Was at that one and the replayed game which we lost 1-0.