Can we make the play offs? | Page 13 | Vital Football

Can we make the play offs?

It is worth taking a look back at the team that lost at Blackpool on NYD:

Jensen
Sorensen - Mitchell - Jackson - Eyoma - Duffy
Hamilton - Bishop - Smith
Adelakun - Makama

Subs making an appearance: Brown, Shodipo, Vale, Gallagher.

Shodipo and Vale never played for the club again, and Gallagher, Adelakun, Smith and Brown have not done so either.

Taylor and Moylan made their City debuts in the next game at Wycombe, while Freddie Draper made his first appearance of the season after his return from Walsall.

Two watershed games in our season, and possibly in our history.

Things starting to become a little clearer. 7 points from the next nine would set us up for a massive finale versus Portsmouth.

The likely scores today were Oxford winning and The imps drawing. We now could do now with that lovely Pish team getting something at the Kassam next weekend. We scrape past Wigan and things are still in our hands. Then on to another impvasion at Oxford.

Interesting post from the Oxford forum...

"Our last 4 games are against sides in the current top half (top 12).

Our current record versus sides in the top half (top 12) under Buckingham:

Played: 11
Won: 0
Draws: 4
Losses: 7

Still a long long way to go!"

As the poster said, long way to go with lots of twists and turns I am sure!

It looks a tough ask now, but not completely out of it.

I know it’s positive that we had such a good run, but it’s difficulties not to be a bit deflated where 2 games ago it was in our hands and we were looking in an excellent position for it to slip away so quickly.

Doubly frustrating that if we don’t make the playoffs this will feel like a big opportunity missed. Given that had we had not so many long term injuries I feel pretty confident we would have been comfortably in. Perhaps too early to say, but it looks likely that league 1 will be far more competitive at the top end next year.

It looks a tough ask now, but not completely out of it.

I know it’s positive that we had such a good run, but it’s difficulties not to be a bit deflated where 2 games ago it was in our hands and we were looking in an excellent position for it to slip away so quickly.

Doubly frustrating that if we don’t make the playoffs this will feel like a big opportunity missed. Given that had we had not so many long term injuries I feel pretty confident we would have been comfortably in. Perhaps too early to say, but it looks likely that league 1 will be far more competitive at the top end next year.
Come on - it's only the top half of your glass that's empty!!

Never say never until it is impossible. Who would have expected Leeds and Leicester to wobble against the teams they did yesterday. No reason why Oxford can't get a touch of the jitters against us, we know we have the beating of Cheltenham and Pompey should already be crowned champions and have their minds on their summer holidays by the time they play us.

Disappointing however I don't think it can be overstated how the physical endeavour of staying unbeaten for 16 games will have been. I thought we looked tired at Reading and again yesterday.

On the plus side there is now complete clarity. Only a win at Oxford will suffice and if that comes to pass then Saturday afternoon could look very different.

Never say never until it is impossible. Who would have expected Leeds and Leicester to wobble against the teams they did yesterday. No reason why Oxford can't get a touch of the jitters against us, we know we have the beating of Cheltenham and Pompey should already be crowned champions and have their minds on their summer holidays by the time they play us.
Be great if Raggot header (in the wrong net) got us in the play offs.

There will be no pressure on us now.Oxford look to be clear favorites,so the pressure will be on them. Win at Oxford and the situation changes radically. Things aren't over yet.

As I wrote in the match thread, three wins for us means Oxford have to win their other two.

A win at Oxford makes it very interesting again.

No, but I don't doubt the team will go down swinging at Oxford. Eyeballs out from the players and fans on Tuesday night - chance to appreciate and acknowledge the incredible efforts the squad has put in to extend the season for as long as they have.