RIP Dave Mehmet | Vital Football

RIP Dave Mehmet

Last time I saw him was when GISC brought Terry Cochrane to the Sturdee Club to talk about his book. Terry is more diffident off the pitch than he was on and Dave Mehmet did a good job glad handing and provided plenty of anecdotes. He was on good form that evening, happy to remember him that way. He gets in my all time XI

Hoping the club will have a minutes silence for DM this Sat, a very good player for Gills and well worthy of recognition which I'm sure he will get. RIP and thanks for doing your best in Gills colours.

Mehmet was an integral part of the team that gave me the most enjoyment in my 40 odd years supporting the Gills. His dynamic play and eye for the goal would be worth a fortune these days.

His passion and commitment couldn’t be questioned and was epitomised by throwing his shirt at the ref in a 3-2 victory over Derby.

He now joins Dave Shearer upstairs (or maybe downstairs) in a potent heavenly Gills strike force. I hope it’s a good few years before anyone else joins forces with them.

RIP 🙏 Dave. A class act.Far too young. Thoughts and prayers with his friends and family at this sad time .He will be always remembered by those of us privileged to see him play.
Love to see some decent footage of him playing for us. If anyone has knowledge of a game where his skills are shown?

As a 13 year old, Dave was one of the main components in the team that made me fall in love with the Gills

My to main memories of him were scoring a great diving header against I believe Windsor and Eton in the FA Cup (I bet the Queen was not amused!!) and the legendary sending off and shirt throwing against Derby County on Boxing Day .

Thanks Dave for making me fall in love with the Gills (and make sure I ditched my glory hunting Liverpool following).

RIP Dave