Players playing for a contract v The Valiants | Page 2 | Vital Football

Players playing for a contract v The Valiants

I was at that game. Discarded season tickets were picked up near the home dugout at half time. Some things never change! The 2 Easter games to follow were a big let down. 1-1 at re-election threatened Crewe and then more dropped points at home to a poor Hartlepool side. We then went down 1-0 at Aldershot, which effectively ended our promotion push, but it was a brilliant first season in the league with some fantastic performances and exciting games. We played attacking football and I recall Tommy Gore bombing forward, great triangles on the left between Joe Hinnigan and Ian Purdie, Jeff Wright getting dogs abuse for playing like Glenn Hoddle, and of course Peter Houghton, one of the most fearless strikers we’ve ever had. In those days we used to go home hoarse from shouting, now it’s like a morgue on a good day.
Me and my mates was at this game, we was down and out at 0-3,
then we came back from the Dead and the Easter Resurrection began and we eventually Won 5-3, what a game that was.

I’d love to be able to say I’m looking forward to going to the game tomorrow but I’d be lying if I said I am. I can’t see it being a high scoring game and expect our players to go though the motions again, god knows what the starting line up will be. Prediction 1-1.

I’d love to be able to say I’m looking forward to going to the game tomorrow but I’d be lying if I said I am. I can’t see it being a high scoring game and expect our players to go though the motions again, god knows what the starting line up will be. Prediction 1-1.

Think that's the sentiments of most latics fans to be honest Th10. We go there hoping for a decent display regardless how we played the week before & are just as pissed off when another piss poor performance is the outcome....

Think that's the sentiments of most latics fans to be honest Th10. We go there hoping for a decent display regardless how we played the week before & are just as pissed off when another piss poor performance is the outcome....
It’s frustrating as you see other teams (usually against us) bang in a few goals in certain games and give their fans something to get excited and cheer about. I’d say in terms of league position we can’t complain but the attacking play and entertainment has been ver poor.

Interesting how he includes himself and his staff in the collective dropping off of intensity problem. And goes on to say it’s been a problem all season. Accepting personal responsibility is good but you have to question if it really is the case that he’s personally dropped his levels or this is just a we’re all in this together remark. Hopefully it’s the latter as anything else would be him not doing his job. He bothers me when he says he’s seen some worrying signs in training - we’ve heard this a few times after a bad defeat. There’s no doubt for me he’s having problems with this squad.

I think it will be talking collectively. As i don't think the staff probably dropped intensity in coaching the way the players have on the pitch but Maloney is taking responsibility for the struggled get intensity out of the players.

On the game today...if we beat Vale and Burton don't beat Oxford then barring a 30 goal shift between us and Vale we are safe.

Todays team: Four changes from Monday.
  • Charlie Goode, Matt Smith, Callum McManaman and Thelo Aasgaard return to the starting line-up at the DW Stadium

Latics: Tickle, Hughes (Capt), Goode, Kerr, Sessegnon, S.Smith, M.Smith, Adeeko, McManaman, Aasgaard, Godo.

Subs: Amos, Morrison, Pearce, Shaw, J.Smith, Sze, Kelman.

Luke Chambers, Sean Clare and Stephen Humphrys are all absent from the matchday squad due to injuries obtained in the last 24 hours.

Normal service has been resumed at the DW today. Zero outlet, no movement, commitment or desire...these lads most definitely have their speedos on, suncream applied & beach towels at the ready. This match from our perspective should be done under the trades description act......no way are we playing or attempting to play football, it's a bloody joke.