Match Thread: Carlisle United v Lincoln City | Page 19 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Carlisle United v Lincoln City

Not having seen any of the match I’ve had to rely on posters on this site for their views and I have to say I was somewhat dispirited to find a lot of petty negativity despite achieving a hard fought 3-1 away win. I was therefore very pleased to read Jon Colmans report in Carlisle’s News and Star which, gives an altogether different picture of our performance, he didn’t dwell on every perceived error, because even Internationals and Premier League players can make those, choosing instead to praise the collective team performance and the team’s ability to manage and control the game.
Some ‘fans’ on this site think that by picking up every tiny mistake made by an individual player during a match shows how well they understand the game but, it doesn’t, in fact I just find this failure to see the bigger picture incredibly annoying and I’m so glad that this Sports Journalist has put the record straight!

MB would file his text to a copy taker throughout the match for the Football Echo. A set number of words/paragraphs before kickoff then after 15, 30, 45, 60, 75 and an update on the final whistle. Any corrections would have to be made from memory. Monday reports were a rewrite with some overview/analysis, both from his own thoughts and after speaking to players, the manager, etc.

Modern reporters file their copy online even if updating throughout the game. If they've made a mistake or want to change anything they can see the full text and alter as they wish. I'm not actually sure there are any Saturday night football specials remaining so the skills needed to do 'immediate' match reports will have disappeared.
Are people filing their reports online which are often available within minutes of end of the game not filing immediately!

Are people filing their reports online which are often available within minutes of end of the game not filing immediately!
It's completely different. When filing copy over the phone you can't see what you've previously written and are also reliant on a clear telephone land line (no mobile phones in those days) and the accuracy of the copy taker. Reporters would be filing copy to the Football Echo at 15 minute intervals throughout the match. They might also be filing copy to multiple newspapers during the same match. This is how the likes of The Green Un, Nottingham Football Post, Grimsby Football Telegraph, etc were able to carry reports of Lincoln games. Also remember the old press box at Sincil Bank wasn't the best view. The seats were not particularly elevated and there was terracing in front of you.

Very different to typing onto a screen with the ability to amend as and when you want, and in most cases a clear and elevated view of the pitch.

It's completely different. When filing copy over the phone you can't see what you've previously written and are also reliant on a clear telephone land line (no mobile phones in those days) and the accuracy of the copy taker. Reporters would be filing copy to the Football Echo at 15 minute intervals throughout the match. They might also be filing copy to multiple newspapers during the same match. This is how the likes of The Green Un, Nottingham Football Post, Grimsby Football Telegraph, etc were able to carry reports of Lincoln games. Also remember the old press box at Sincil Bank wasn't the best view. The seats were not particularly elevated and there was terracing in front of you.

Very different to typing onto a screen with the ability to amend as and when you want, and in most cases a clear and elevated view of the pitch.
I suspect a necessity for the job in those days was to write (and read) shorthand. His father was a printer. MB died in Jan 1985.
Lincolnshire_Echo_15_January_1985_0001_Clip.jpg

I suspect a necessity for the job in those days was to write (and read) shorthand. His father was a printer. MB died in Jan 1985.
View attachment 72459
Above all, as well as being a well informed sports journalist, Maurice was a good and fair bloke and in my day was well thought of by the football club and players alike, even travelling to away matches on the team coach, I couldn’t see that happening these days!

Maurice was a good and fair bloke and in my day was well thought of by the football club and players alike, even travelling to away matches on the team coach, I couldn’t see that happening these days!
His successors at the Echo were also allowed to travel on the team coach as the paper made a big fuss during the autumn of 1986 when Maurice's latest replacement, Julie Sherborn, was banned by the club from doing so 'because she is a woman'.

"It's a dressing room atmosphere and it would not be right for a woman to be there," said Mr Reames.

Geoff Davey pointed out that it was the policy at 90 out of the 92 Football League clubs not to allow females on their team coaches.

Presumably there were fewer women coach drivers in those days.

I've a vague idea the ban was later lifted but haven't looked any further.