United 3 Fulham 3 - report | Vital Football

United 3 Fulham 3 - report

Deadbat_DB

Vital Squad Member
A crazy game at the Lane on Saturday afternoon of the Easter weekend saw United and Fulham share six goals in a game where United thought they had led 4-1 with less than 10 minutes to go but after VAR intervened, were pegged back to 3-2 and then denied a victory with another stoppage time goal being conceded.

As with the previous game, at Bournemouth, United had a two-goal lead but again threw away the three points with some bizarre officiating, poor substitutions, and complete inability to see games out proving the Blades undoing yet again. A game that had not threatened any real excitement in a goalless statement at half time despite the visitors dominating and hitting the post, came to life with Brereton Diaz scoring against the run of play after good work from McBurnie. This was after Fulham had hit the post again. A leveller after poor defending at a corner saw Palhina score an unopposed header but Brereton Diaz and McBurnie combined again to see the latter score and then when the Chilean converted his second, and United’s third, they seemed home and dry. McBurnie then thought had netted a fourth but VAR ruled this out and immediately Cordova-Reid made it 3-2. The stoppage board showed 14 minutes of stoppage time and after this, it seemed inevitable the Blades could not hold out and Muniz’s acrobatic levelled matters on 103 and in the end, the home side were the team holding on in a breathless finale.

United made three changes after the international break with Holgate, Ahmedhodzic and Souza returning at the expense of Trusty and the injured pair, Baldock and Davies. Fulham on the back of some impressive recent results, including a thumping of Spurs, were looking to continue their excellent form in their quest for potential European qualification.

The game began with Fulham having most of the ball but were not able to create any clear chances and for the first time at home for several months, United at least were able to not concede at home and stay in the game! Wiliam was looking dangerous on the left and Pereira was getting on the ball at every opportunity, but the Blades were staying compact and well organised. Robinson had one effort that Grbic got down to save before Fulham won a series of corners. United had struggled to find much in the way of attacking threat although Brereton Diaz was trying hard to hold the ball up but lacked support.

The game had seen little goalmouth action but it was the away side that continued to dominate the ball and a few neat moves saw United have to be alert with Osborn and then Robinson blocking the danger. The best opportunity came when a ball came over and a combination of Muniz and Ahmedhodzic converged on the ball and it was goal bound before Grbic made a crucial stop to push it onto the post. Holgate cleared the danger and United survived. The home side did have a few rare forays towards the end of the half with Bogle hitting a shot over on the angle and then Hamer curling an effort a long way wide after they had won a corner. The Blades were happy to not concede and go in at the break goalless after recent battering’s at their own ground.

The first half had been a relatively event free contest certainly in front of goal and nobody would have expected the drama that the second half presented. Fulham were a whisker away from leading when Arblaster’s pass was intercepted and the deep cross was directed by the head of Muniz past Grbic but bounced off the post and away. The young United midfielder did make two crucial blocks soon after as Fulham looked to turn the screw. He needed treatment after the second block. Iwobi should have scored but dithered as United somehow stayed level and after being dominated to start the half, they broke to score completely against the run of play!

Tosin slipped and McBurnie got down the left channel and his ball with the outside of his foot was perfect for BRERETON DIAZ who cooly converted at the back post. United had a rare lead and goal at home and were determined to hold onto it as Holgate’s efforts were a bit too aggressive as he cynically took down Willian. However, the lead was short-lived and it came from a corner. Willian’s delivery was met on the full by the unmarked PALHINHA whose header found the far corner. It was a sloppy goal to concede and parity was restored. Traore was brought on for Lukic after the equaliser.

The topsy turvy contest took a turn back the other way though only 6 minutes later, as the Blades restored their lead. The roles were revered as this time as after Hamer’s quick free kick, Brereton Diaz pulled back and MCBURNIE slotted home. Only two minutes later and it was 3-1! Arblaster carried the ball on and found Hamer and his inviting cross was bundled home by BRERTON DIAZ. As the ball went into the net, there was a clash between scorer and goalkeeper Leno and a lengthy VAR check for both the goal (potential handball) and for violent conduct, although those in the ground did not know which player’s conduct was being checked. After a lengthy stoppage, the goal was allowed and no further action was to be taken. Cairney came on for Iwobi as Fulham as the game entered the final 15 minutes (or so we thought!)

The superb attacking spell from the Blades saw the crowd really come to life and Fulham, who had dominated most of the game, somehow found themselves in a deep hole. United were seemingly in dreamland when on 82 minutes, they looked like they had made it 4-1 after a scramble saw McBurnie score at the second attempt, poking home but after yet another check, this time it went against United with Souza ruled to have been in an offside position in the build up as he played it forward on the original chance.

There was a flurry of changes as Trusty and Norwood came on for Souza and Arblaster and Fulham made a trio of substitutes with Jimenez, Tete and De Cordova Reid incoming for Tosin, Pereira and Castagne. Many Fulham fans had started to leave the ground after the fourth had gone in not waiting for any check but those that remained would have sensed an unlikely comeback when almost, Fulham went up the other end and reduced the arrears. It was a poor header away from Holgate and Cairney played in DE CORDOVA-REID who took a touch and arrowed a low drive away from Grbic. With 4 minutes to play, Fulham sprinted back and knew they had a chance of an unlikely salvation when the game had seemingly been done and dusted.

United were now sitting back and struggling to hold the ball and it was one way traffic as Traore was causing problems down the right and Cairney dictating the ball in midfield. United were throwing bodies in the line but the sight of a stoppage time board showing 14 minutes surely had to be disparaging for the players who had worked hard to finally look like they were going to get a victory at home.

Fulham were pouring men forward and after a ball went out, the throw was awarded in their favour and Traore sent over the cross and MUNIZ overhead scissor kick gave Grbic absolutely no chance as it flashed into the corner. Fulham quickly retrieved the ball and sensed an incredible come from behind victory and with another 11 minutes to play, surely fancied their chances?

United now had completely gone and substitutes McAtee and Trusty were not helping with poor decisions meaning the pressure continued to be put on them. Hamer and Bassey were both booked after a skirmish but it was all Fulham now and just a case of if the Blades could hold on. Another corner was won and then Bogle brought his man down leading to a free kick. Cairney’s effort was saved from Grbic through a crowd of bodies and United survived as on 118 minutes, Tim Robinson finally blew his full-time whistle.

United – An absolutely ridiculous game. Well 2nd half at least. Came out with a mixture of emotions with anger, disappointment, and frustration the overwhelming emotions as like the Bournemouth game, we had the game won but threw it away. Some bizarre officiating did not help but neither did the substitutions that United made which saw a well drilled unit sort of fall apart. The weak mentality of the Blades saw them yet again concede late goals and throw a lead away and even though over the course of the game, they did not really deserve to win the game, the fact they had it in such a commanding position and came away with only a draw is beyond belief. It was compounded that with just over 5 minutes left, United thought they had a 4-1 lead but a marginal VAR saw it chalked off and before you knew it, it became 3-2! After this you sensed that we would not see the game out and as had happened so many times this year, the defence got deeper and deeper, balls came in at will and eventually a goal results. The stoppage time was of course, ridiculous and seems like we are being done week after week. I am not sure Wilder’s rant at Palace when he effectively questioned the integrity of Premier League officials (some would say rightly but should have kept this in house) would have helped being honest? The players must have seen the board and just felt there was no way we could hang on for effectively a third of a half.

Before the game, as with Bournemouth, we would all have taken a point of course. However, both games in terms of how they went and the scorelines deep into games we really need to finish the job. It’s an odd one to analyse as despite the opponents being far better in both games with tons more possession, chances, corners, shots on goal, we end up with two goal leads in each of the games but as soon as we let one in and teams have a sniff, we simply implode as we do not know how to get over the line and our lack of leadership combined with a poor mentality (on and off the field – the subs to me despite the fitness argument kind of wave a white flag for me – more on that under Wilder’s comments below). If both games go on any longer we lose (I know they went on long enough) and both opponents miss good chances to win despite us being seemingly in complete control in terms of the scoreline! We win both these and we are not that far off Forest and Luton (3 points) but now we are (if we weren’t already) completely doomed.

I get the frustration with the officials and there was some odd decisions – the checks for VAR took way too long and this new rule where ball boys cannot retrieve the ball made the game even longer. We did time waste and have a few injured and there were multiple subs and goals of course but 14 minutes is just mind blowing. At least they scored on 93 so it was not like Spurs in that sense! Think it finished around 117 or 118 minutes! I do get the ‘corrupt’ comments and agree it just makes the whole Premier League just seem like a pantomime and that most of us exist for the cameras and the TV audience worldwide. The fact most of us has no idea what was going on and we were in the ground, makes a mockery of it all. I had no idea what was being checked or what was happening on many of the goals/VAR checks. We have now played 364 extra minutes at the end of each half which is madness.

Still for all the frustration over the added time and the VAR; we still have to look at what we could do better and how we should absolutely see that game out. We had the game won and then concede a stupid second goal, make some nonsensical changes (yes, players were tired but you are not telling me they could not play another 5 or 10 minutes – if they cannot they are really never going to be top level players (Arblaster is young so get that to some extent) as lack the physicality and fitness to be able to play this level. The subs and then the way the whole deep backs into almost London Road meant that it was inevitable we would not hang on. I was just surprised we did not concede again. We literally just seem to have no belief we can keep the ball or get up the pitch. If we tried to move out or pass it we might keep it for a minute or two but we just punt it away and then retreat. It is small-time level football and something you see on a Sunday morning. This mean attack after attack and cross after cross comes in and inevitable something would drop or teams with quality would score.

It feels like we almost need to be 3 goals clear going into stoppage time to even win games! That sounds crazy but is how things have been. We have conceded so many late goals, off the top of my head in the last 5 minutes and stoppage time – we have let goals in the following games: Forest away, City home, Spurs x 2, Fulham away, Liverpool home, Bournemouth, and Fulham x 2. That is 10 goals and probably contributed to around 8 points extra we could have had. That would put us out of the relegation zone!

In terms of the actual game, going away from the discussions on late goals, VAR and stoppage time, the 1st half was a bit of a non-event as Fulham completely dominated but United did not concede and actually the away side for all their play and possession, created relatively little. There was at least a compactness about us in that they only had maybe one really good chance, the one that hit the post. We did nothing really but at least were not getting cut apart and were 0-0 which was the best we have done by a big distance for a long time at the Lane! The second half they really should have scored and had 2 or 3 good chances and hit the post again but we then scored on the break after a Tosin error but it was well made and finished. They had to come out and even though they levelled (awful defending by us this time), the game was far more open and became a bit of a basketball game but as poor as we were at the back, they looked even worse! Brereton Diaz and McBurnie caused all sorts of problems and linked well. We actually looked dangerous as we went forward with intent and some decent interplay between those two and also with Hamer looking the best he had for a while too. We scored three goals and thought we had a fourth as another team for once, that was not us, sort of fell apart! We scored some good goals and played some decent stuff as BBD and McBurnie played some lovely football between each other. We played some quick, one touch stuff and looked like a decent attacking side – something we have not seen maybe all season really – had to go back to maybe Brentford or Everton at home? Fulham tried to commit men forward/made subs but ended up getting done on the break. If the fourth goes in, we almost certainly win despite our fragility but as soon as this was postponed we then ended up making changes (ill advised regardless of fitness issues of those going off – I reckon they could have done more or at the best least we should have not tinkered with the defence and/or kept a threat up front) but these subs suggested we would sit back after being a real attacking threat and looking like scoring. A poor header meant it was not cleared and then Norwood was ran past too easily and De Cordova Reid was not closed down and it’s 3-2. I do not think any fans genuinely had any belied we would hold on and we got deeper and deeper. Without throwing the subs under the bus (I am going to!) they were dreadful. McAtee lost the ball or got muscled out of it and Trusty made some bizarre decisions or just lost challenges. Norwood was a complete passenger meaning even a half-fit Arblaster or Souza would surely do more? Arguably a younger Brooks, if a change had to be made, would have been preferable.

The third goal might have been our throw but was hard to tell but again even after that we still needed to stop the cross or someone get closer to the scorer, even if it was a good finish. I was convinced we would lose after that and was shocked that they did not complete the turnaround. Our players had gone and we were just lumping it clear as once again a team/squad lacking depth/quality and fitness just completely ran out of steam yet again. We see so little of the ball and chase so much of it, that it means by the end of the game our players are completely done. The pattern almost every game this season has been we either get absolutely hammered or if we somehow stay in a game then we throw away any points late on.

The positives are that we did not concede five so that is an improvement of course – even if marginal as we have now conceded 24 goals in the last five home games and are well on track to concede 100 goals (77 currently and surely will be over 80 after the Liverpool game) and now are -50 on the goal difference category! We also stayed in the game and were more solid to begin with at least and felt for long spells defended much better in terms of desire to stop shots or throwing bodies in the way. We also had a real attacking threat second half and played some decent stuff and got behind a team with men in the box and more positive play. What annoyed me is that we almost stopped down that as the clock ticked down, almost out of fear and means we just settle rather than going for more goals. This sitting back and kicking it away approach has not worked – maybe we needed to be braver and try and score another goal – like we nearly did. I thought some players did well. The keeper was a bit better and Osborn plugged away. Ahmedhodzic and Holgate also had better games until the latter stages. I thought Hamer had a good second half and Arblaster improved as the game went on and showed some brave blocks and some good bits with the ball too. The best two players were BBD and McBurnie and second half the latter improved hugely after a quiet first half. BBD worryingly often looks our best player and he is not ours.

At least we had a game with goals and drama but it felt like a defeat. It’s so hard to analyse as the stats show we were battered but of course for that purple patch for 20 minutes second half we scored 3 (nearly 4) and had a real go; but in the end we once again showed a total lack of professionalism and character and threw away a game that should have been seen out. We cannot cope with balls coming into our box and have not all season and we fail to stop penetration. The defence made mistakes but are given no protection and McAtee and Norwood really should be ashamed at their lack of effort/ability to keep the ball or stem the flow with fresh legs. In the end, I am looking at positives for next season and at least we did not implode as early this time but it also showed why we need a bit of a clear out. I said it last time we went down; we have a team of losers for the most part and this culture has to change and we will only be able to do that by bringing in an influx of new players. I sense the old guard will move on as others will (Trusty, Slimane, Traore and Souza to me have shown nothing really to suggest they should be part of the long-term plans even at a lower level. We need some new players. I’d love to keep BBD but not sure he will stay and with others like Archer and McAtee going (and possibly McBurnie) we need a whole new forward line as we cannot count on youngsters or Brewster.

Liverpool and Chelsea, I expect heavy defeats and today might be the best chance we had of winning a game the rest of this season – at least till we play Forest and Burnley. I still will go into games and try and enjoy them but the season cannot end quick enough for me and I will not be that sad to be out of this league and all the crap that goes with it – but easy to say that when you are rock bottom and finding new ways to chuck things away or create records! Still at least next season we might win more games and also might leave the ground before 5pm!

Ratings:

Grbic 6.5/10 – He has conceded another three goals but not sure he could not anything about any of them really as a free header right into the corner, a decent long range drilled shot and then a spectacular goal. He made one good save onto the post first half and then made a few routine saves. A few sort of bobbled around but he did hold the shots you would expect. He sort of half flapped at a cross and remains rooted to his line on crosses – I was crying at them to get out and him to force this by being a yard or two further forwards. His kicking was poor as he booted three out into touch. He was better today but still not totally convinced by him so far.

Bogle 5.5/10 – Another sketchy game where he did not really threaten too much going forward (one volley over first half and one run what won a corner second half) and defensively he gives his man too much room or lets them get past too easily. He committed a few cynical fouls too. Thought at the end we failed to stop crosses coming in as they got back in the game. It seems the talk is Baldock might leave and he may stay but personally despite the age difference, I do not see Bogle improving – in fact I think he has regressed since the last time he was at this level. Too many times wingers go past him too easily.

Osborn 7/10 – Steady and not sure he made any real mistakes. Plugged away against some difficult opponents but positionally solid and stopped things when he needed to. Also, second half got forward a bit too to support. When Traore came on, I feared the worse but he held him up once and then bought a foul from him too. When Trusty was put left back, Traore had a field day- no idea why that change was made – Osborn was doing fine even with the mismatch – twice he ended up on the big centre back on corners too somehow!

Ahmedhodzic 6/10 – A better game than he has shown but still patchy in terms of not quite getting to the ball first or winning the headers/tackles. Always seems at full stretch. To be fair first half he was tight to his man and denied them any real clear openings – he did seem to combine with Muniz on the one that hit the post? Second half we became too open and we failed to mark a few times when they had chances but he did make one good block. As the game went on though, he started hacking at things and switched off (as others did) when the balls came in leaving players unmarked.

Robinson 6/10 – Another committed performance where we saw the good and the bad. Some wholehearted tackles and clearances but also some poor moments with the ball and he often resorted to just smashing it clear showing his lack of ability/composure despite his 100% attitude. As the game went on, I felt we started getting deeper and deeper and needed the defence to get out but we did not. Two goals were conceded due to players not going with their man. Him and Anel were just stood motionless on the final one. Surely one has to go with him?

Holgate 6/10 – He too was better than he has been and first half was decent enough and made some interceptions. The game became more end to end and he picked up a yellow card. He intercepted a few balls well and got a good block in but I think his header lacked purchase on the second goal and then the whole team became a bit desperate at the end. However, his overall game was improved on his games when he first came in. Not too hard I suppose!

Souza 5/10 – I have to say, I am firmly convinced on him now after a season of watching him. He had one or two improved games and was good at Luton, and people can chuck stats at me but my own eyes tell me – he is a imposter. A big physical bloke who does not impose, rarely wins tackles/headers, does not protect the defence and jogs around. He points to others to do things and rarely takes responsibility. He may throw his hands in the air when we concede but think this is just often a diversion tactic to try and show the fans he cares – if he cared more, he would run about more and do more. He is rarely on the ball and when he is, the limit of his game is just to give it off and rarely ever goes forward. Their first he seemed to lose his man but may have been BBD’s? However, you are not playing for Brazil lad, as you are pretty rubbish- at least at this level and have been almost ever present in the worst side in the league- your teammates may be rubbish but so are you fella! If we get our money back we have done well. Barely saw him at all although some may argue we got even worse after he went off for Norwood which is a legitimate argument but it was not like he was any good!

Hamer 7/10 – I have been quite critical of him and friends have said I have gone in on him too much but like with Souza, he has been a regular in the worst side in the league and too many games he has been non existent or games just passed him by. I admit he does try things but his contributions are few and far between and forget he is even playing most weeks. Today that was the story first half until one curled effort but he improved hugely after the break. Got on the ball and played it forward, tried to link with others and he was involved in two goals with the quick free kick on the second and the excellent ball on the third. We need to see much more of that in games and hopefully next season we do. Hope he remains and the charlatan Souza moves on to be honest.

Arblaster 6.5/10 – Glad he got another start but he did struggle to get into the game to begin with and felt their quick and clever players just passed round our whole midfield. He seemed to be just chasing around and it looked a bit much for him (and the rest!) but he got a few tackles in and then slowly started to grow. He made one big block second half and then started to see more of the ball and was involved in a few moves and did well on the third. Invaluable experience for him against top players and hope we persevere with him (and see more of Brooks again too) in the coming weeks.

Brereton Diaz 8/10 – Our best player and by a fair distance. First half he looked our main threat as he held it up well and showed some neat touches and intelligent link play. He was our main outlet and only one who looked like getting us, and keeping us, up the field of play. Won a few free kicks too. Second half he continued this and added being a goal threat too. He scored the first and laid on the second before getting a third and him and McBurnie were excellent linking up and causing all sorts of problems. He is a willing runner but a clever player and does things at his own pace too allowing us to bring others into the game. Shame it seems we will not be able to keep him as he has been one of the few successes in a nightmare season and surprised me as he looks an intelligent and clever player and an eye for a goal too. There may have been a question mark on their first as he and Souza both seemed to blame each other.

McBurnie 7.5/10 – First half it was a bit of a struggle and not sure that he was in the game as he lost his headers and the few things that came near him, he lost out. After the break he looked a different player and got in front of his man, played others in, and showed some great touches. He set up the first and then scored the second and was a real willing runner and seemed to find new energy from somewhere and looked a proper centre forward.

Subs (will make as the game went on another 16 minutes after 90!)

McAtee 2/10 – Chased around but the ball never stuck to him despite a few runs forward and physically lost out as players won challenges. He also gave away two stupid free kicks deep in United territory. Not sure I would use him much now (or Archer) as they are not going to be here next season. He came on today and needed us to get us up the field or keep the ball and he made things worse as lost the ball or ran into trouble.

Trusty 0.5/10 –No idea why this change was made? Osborn seemed to my eye to be doing ok but was put at left back seemingly to counteract the pacy Traore but we have seen what Saka and other wingers have done to Trusty? He did not get tight to his man or when he did, he was too tight and they ran around/through him. He headed one out, lost another header and shanked another into touch. Looks a woeful signing – keep hearing how well he did for Birmingham but they were near the bottom of the league below – he is miles off the standard of the top level and am not sure I have seen anything to suggest he should start even next season at the level below. He has now strengths whatsoever. Normally a defender you can say he is a tackler, a good header of the ball or reads the game or quick? He is none of the above. Sounds harsh but I would look to move him on in the summer if we can somehow recover some money as he looks another awful signing. Today he came on and needed to impose and show a resilience but sort of folded every time they went near him.

Norwood 1/10 – As above, a dreadful contribution. Came on surely with the intention to help us keep the ball but he never does this anymore and is so slow/physically inept in the Premier League, he is just totally ineffectual. He came on at 3-1 and they had all the ball and he cannot run so he is a virtual passenger. The second goal he is run past easily and then another tackles he just sort of fell on the floor soon after. They just ran through us for the final part of the game.

Manager: Wilder 5/10 – Would have been more like 7.5 or 8 if we go on and win the game of course as at 3-1 and nearly 4-1, he would argue he got it spot on. Kept it tight first half and then second half we had more of a go (although they easily could have been a few goals up before we did score) and we showed some real attacking intent. Went crazy on the third and fourth goals but now probably looks daft.

I was really frustrated as the changes. I know some (and he) will say we had players dead on their feet but I think we were in such control that I would have kept them on for longer personally (Souza had cramp but surely could carry on – Arblaster had recovered from an injury and was running again). All those saying the experts say how long they can go or if they have to come off or might risk another injury but we are getting players injured in training anyway? Also, the extra 5 minutes or so we are saving them from a possibly injury – these same players- McBurnie is getting injured even when we play him less? I just think the risk and reward of leaving the team as it was and getting a valuable win outweighed a possible injury? However, even if they had to come off, why change the defence and put Trusty there. Why would you not put some legs on in midfield (Brooks or Slimane surely better than Norwood) and by taking a striker off we had no real outlet at all? I just think he had made some poor changes. Maybe we lose the points in games anyway but we seem to get worse when he makes changes and rarely improve after subs? Overall, it is a point against a side going well but the lack of tactical acumen to see the game out is on him as well as the players. They were getting deeper and deeper and we need to have a structure that allows us to keep the ball a bit and help us see games out. We just look desperate and weak minded as we finish games and despite a fair bit being down to us simply having lesser players, I do not think we give ourselves the best chance to see games out.

He seemed quite bullish in the week, talking about next season and what he and the Prince needs to do but whilst we have seen more under him than Hecky and clearly the issue is the lack of ability/funds made available to properly give us a chance, I am concerned that he has not made us more solid and harder to score against. The way we fall apart I did not think we would see under Wilder but happens routinely.

Fulham – They have been playing really well and got some good results and played some free-flowing football with some really underrated players. I fully expected them to come to the Lane and beat us quite easily, like many of the other teams who have come here. In a similar position to Brighton, who have put five past United twice so after they hammered Spurs, I thought it would be tough. They have become an established side at this level after a few yo-yo years and bought wisely but sensibly. Today, they dominated the ball but for the first half not sure they did enough to hurt us and for all the possession they had, it was a bit predictable but after the break they were penetrating more and could have had a few. They made a number of mistakes with losing the ball and ball watching as they gave away some horrendous goals and easily could have lost the game and probably should have. This is despite dominating possession, chances, shots on goal and corners but were exposed on the break. They made changes and easily could have just gone under but did get one back and then the leveller and another 5 minutes and would have won. They did show some resolve but will be disappointed not to win a game they were the better side for long spells but a dreadful spell of defending and real sloppiness for half an hour of the 2nd half meant they had to be grateful for a draw in the end.

Opponent Man of the Match – Thought William was dangerous out wide and then Traore caused problems the final part of the game but I like Pereira in midfield (blonde lad). Good on the ball and moves it around at pace. Muniz scored a great leveller but the three subs made a real difference and Cairney, Cordoba Reid and Traore gave them everything our subs did not.

Opponent Weak link – The big lad Tosin was clumsy and at fault for the first but the lad Bassey was a bit of a bomb scare and his touch was poor, as was his basic defending as he switched off a fair bit too. Looked like our Larouci, in looks and play!

Referee/Officials – A game where they (both on the field and off it) were to be discussed way more than they should be. In terms of the actual game, I felt Tim Robinson was inconsistent. He had a go at us for timewasting but did not do the same if they delayed over things. They kicked a ball away and was not booked but then our player was – Norwood? I am not sure many big decisions impacted the game (even the throw that some say was ours I could not really tell) but they were just missing some things (one clear corner he gave as a goal kick) that frustrated fans. Add in the VAR delays where we had no idea what was going on and it just irritates fans. The one we had disallowed; I have seen back and can see why it is disallowed but not sure any Fulham fans or players had any clue or appealed for it. The major talking point was the stoppage time which I have discussed at length above. I think 7-8 minutes would have been fair but 14 is just insane. We also had the new ruling where ball boys can’t return the ball – it has to be taken off the cones? No idea why this is supposed to improve the game in terms of efficiency and begs the question why do we have ball boys – to be put them on the cones? Another change of rule that just not improve the game and just seems to be another complete frustration for fans in slowing things down even more?

Crowd/Atmosphere – Quiet to begin with and surprised it said there were 30,000 in there was saw fair few gaps in the upper tier and wings of the Kop and Fulham might be the first team not to sell out the away end – was a good 500-600 short of filling it? Second half saw noise from both ends although the ‘How s**t must you be, we’re winning at home!’ chant was a bit embarrassing and cringeworthy by our fans (technically they were right). All the delays did not help the frustration of the crowd and it meant at the end, even though they had scored long before the allocated 25 minutes or whatever it was he played – the ire was turned on him. Think Blades fans were just fed up of everything – our own team, our inability to see games out, VAR, the stoppage time etc – that they needed a scapegoat and Robinson was it! However, the amount of time he put up was the final straw for many in terms of the season we have had. It seemed like a big ‘F**k you!’ to most Blades fans. As if to see, let’s see if you can survive this you twats. Of course, we did not even get close!

I thought we let Fulham have the ball too much 1st, stood of em!!!
second, we had to give it a go or we would have been mullered
Your markings were about right except for Souza and Wilder
Souza a 3 for me
Wilder 1st half 4
Second half because of his poor substitutions ( he see what we are seeing) a 2 for me
I hear happy clappers saying “who would you have brought on?”
Honestly Brooks and Osula, and would Have told em to run their bollocks off and harrass any Fulham player they were near!!!

Don't think there were anything near 2000 empty seats in the home ends like you indicate, again. There were less than a hundred unsold seats when I went to the ticket office Friday. Thing is Easter is a major time for people to take family vacations so quite a few ST holders didn't show.

However, the amount of time he put up was the final straw for many in terms of the season we have had. It seemed like a big ‘F**k you!’ to most Blades fans.

It was for me I know they scored after 93 but they were patient knowing they still had so long left they would have been far more frantic and desperate with say only 4 or 5 mins to play I’m not saying we would have held out cos we are pretty abysmal at keeping the ball out of our net but I’d just had it right there I’ve seen this morning we’ve played 47mins of injury time when we’re either winning or drawing I think they may just go the whole hog and put next goal winner up on the screen before the end of the season

However, the amount of time he put up was the final straw for many in terms of the season we have had. It seemed like a big ‘F**k you!’ to most Blades fans.

It was for me I know they scored after 93 but they were patient knowing they still had so long left they would have been far more frantic and desperate with say only 4 or 5 mins to play I’m not saying we would have held out cos we are pretty abysmal at keeping the ball out of our net but I’d just had it right there I’ve seen this morning we’ve played 47mins of injury time when we’re either winning or drawing I think they may just go the whole hog and put next goal winner up on the screen before the end of the season
Both sides have to play to the end
If it’s one minute or 20
We are shit at closing a game down, when they got the second, the players were shitting themselves!!!
Surprised we held out for a draw, if I am being honest!!!!

Last edited:
Oh for the days of booting the ball across the cricket pitch towards the pavillion to kill time. Having said that, in these snowflake woke days we would be deducted points for what these days is called deliberately wasting time. Not that anything like that in this so called "modern game" is done, Like Fukk!