Jovon Makama One-Two-Three | Vital Football

Jovon Makama One-Two-Three

hulloutpost

Vital Champions League
Let's just take a moment to reflect on one of those sublime moments that the wonderful game of football never ceases to cough up.

If you break down Jovon's goal there were three superb elements to it. First of all having been shoved, rather than throw himself to the ground he fought to stay on his feet. Many players would have gone down, not got the free kick and that would have been that. Then he had the presence of mind to get back in and put in a momentous block that Ben House would have been proud of. Finally he had the composure and skill to execute an unerring, precision finish that any striker would have been proud of.

For a young player to come on in front of a full house and score the winning goal in the 90th minute is simply joyous. Then you factor in that for a couple of months he was thrust into leading the line by himself through necessity, a thankless task which even brought some groans from a few fans that really showed little appreciation for the situation Jovon and the club had found themselves in.

Yesterday was a golden moment for the coaches that have supported him, the fans that could clearly see Jovon has something about him (certainly round me that has remained the consensus) and most importantly a much deserved reward for the player who has had to battle through a very demanding start to his fledgling career.

Enjoy the moment Jovon and use it to take flight.

Let's just take a moment to reflect on one of those sublime moments that the wonderful game of football never ceases to cough up.

If you break down Jovon's goal there were three superb elements to it. First of all having been shoved, rather than throw himself to the ground he fought to stay on his feet. Many players would have gone down, not got the free kick and that would have been that. Then he had the presence of mind to get back in and put in a momentous block that Ben House would have been proud of. Finally he had the composure and skill to execute an unerring, precision finish that any striker would have been proud of.

For a young player to come on in front of a full house and score the winning goal in the 90th minute is simply joyous. Then you factor in that for a couple of months he was thrust into leading the line by himself through necessity, a thankless task which even brought some groans from a few fans that really showed little appreciation for the situation Jovon and the club had found themselves in.

Yesterday was a golden moment for the coaches that have supported him, the fans that could clearly see Jovon has something about him (certainly round me that has remained the consensus) and most importantly a much deserved reward for the player who has had to battle through a very demanding start to his fledgling career.

All I heard from fans from the moment the match finished until the time I arrived at the station was Jovan's name. It was an electric moment in an otherwise difficult match where Orient IMO were the better team. But the 1,2,3 was being analysed by most fans who doubted he could get to 1. Heartwarming moment and shows how sensitive the barometer of success is for footballers. You only need to look over to Donny to see it with Adelakun.
Tip top from Jovon and his day in the sun, just like Taylor, & Moylan recently. Draper will be at the party soon!

Great post….and then the human emotion when he came across and embraced friends or family who were stood at the wall in front of the main stand. Fantastic goal for all the reasons outlined and a day he will never forget when he really showed what a talented young man he is….great career ahead.

Jovon Makama = my new hero in the red and white stripes!
I watched the first half on iplayer but had to start work at 4pm. When I checked the scoreline for the umpteenth time and saw we had scored, I quickly worked out that of the whole team I hoped Makama had come on and scored the goal. I suspect he'll become a legend for the Imps if we can hold on to him.

When House hobbled off, we were 1-0 up v Cambridge. In barely 180 mins since then we have scored 10 goals, now 11 thanks to his gem yesterday.

Sorry, but he’s a starter on Monday for me.
Great moment yes but I think you getting ahead of yourself there. House is far far superior. With a much better work rate, closing down, winning the ball laying it off.

But if Jovan is learning from this then about 10/15 minutes towards the end of the game again will develop him further

Last edited:
Great moment yes but I think you getting ahead of yourself there. House is far far superior. With a much better work rate, closing down, winning the ball laying it off.

But if Jovan is learning from this then about 10/15 minutes towards the end of the game again will develop him further
Sorry, but I respectfully disagree.

House for all his hard work doesn’t work the keeper enough, whereas Jovon looks more of a goal threat and quickens the process up.

It’s a good problem to have though, especially with Draper to add some muscle late on when defenders are tiring.

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree.

House for all his hard work doesn’t work the keeper enough, whereas Jovon looks more of a goal threat and quickens the process up.

It’s a good problem to have though, especially with Draper to add some muscle late on when defenders are tiring.
And that’s why we have the discussion board.

Who was our top goal scorer last year?

It was very unfortunate that House got injured badly early in the season. He’s just coming back to form and I would start with him every week.

People get slightly carried away. What Makama did yesterday was brilliant and I, like us all, are really pleased for him but he was only on the pitch for about nine minutes.

I don't think he is a starter yet but he fully deserves his place on the bench and with more training and coaching and coming on in games and having moments like yesterday can only help him to develop his game until he is in there challenging for a starting place.

He's still only a young lad and is still relatively inexperienced and I'm sure the staff will have a career path worked out for him and that may still involve him going out on loan to gain that playing experience although I suspect now it would be at a bit higher level than Peterborough Sports. Or they may develop him around the first team with him on the bench and starting him in the Pizza Cup games.

Whatever they do it was good to see two lads from the Academy up front and being on the pitch at the end in such an important game with one of them actually banging in the winning goal in the last minute.

I don't think it is a coincidence that Jovon has looked a lot better player with more confidence since Skoobs took over. I think the same can be said about Dylan Duffy. I think they realise the Manager has faith in them and that they can do an important job for the team for however many minutes they get on and imore importantly they seem very happy doing that.

People get slightly carried away. What Makama did yesterday was brilliant and I, like us all, are really pleased for him but he was only on the pitch for about nine minutes.

I don't think he is a starter yet but he fully deserves his place on the bench and with more training and coaching and coming on in games and having moments like yesterday can only help him to develop his game until he is in there challenging for a starting place.

He's still only a young lad and is still relatively inexperienced and I'm sure the staff will have a career path worked out for him and that may still involve him going out on loan to gain that playing experience although I suspect now it would be at a bit higher level than Peterborough Sports. Or they may develop him around the first team with him on the bench and starting him in the Pizza Cup games.

Whatever they do it was good to see two lads from the Academy up front and being on the pitch at the end in such an important game with one of them actually banging in the winning goal in the last minute.
In fairness, Jovan played 70 mins of the previous 2 games and was about as good as anyone. It looks to me that he may have modeled his pressing game on House - in this small recent sample he seems to have all the attributes - physicality, control, eye for goal, work rate (heading not so much yet) to play at this level. What was lacking before was obviously partly experience but likely also confidence. To me he looks at least an equal prospect to Freddy Draper.

The most impressive thing about Jovon is that he has finally got the message that to be a player at this level, he needs to be physical. That means using his body strength and learning how to press effectively by closing a defender down quickly rather than ambling towards the player with the ball.

Skoobs has managed to get that message across, and Jovon is a far better prospect as a result. He has always had the body size and skill level, but he clearly didn't have the right mental attitude until recently.

His goal yesterday was the epitome of what he has taken on board the past month or so. He has the perfect role model in Ben House, and the perfect example of a young player coping at this level in Freddie Draper. Jovon now has a great platform to help the team into the playoffs, and stake a place for a permanent first team squad place for next season.

Great post 👏

4. - The goal celebration - just saw earlier on line, we were all too busy jumping around in the GBM to notice live.

All-in team huddle pile-on, 2 unauthorized pitch entries- Danny just goes for it, Joe clearly thinks well if he can, I can. Then like the cherry on top, a crowd surfing Paudie - does he like his punk/indie?

Back to the Cowley days, these guys are on a roll!