Financial Accounts for 2022/23 | Page 6 | Vital Football

Financial Accounts for 2022/23

Maloney has confirmed there are 7 players out of contract, and named 5 of them (McManaman, Kerr, Humphrys, Jones and Magennis) as players he has spoken to. But said it will probably be early April before he knows the budget and what he can offer them. The indication seemed like he wanted to keep them and they were all open to staying.

It seems to also suggest no one has an extension trigger.

He says he's met with Danson and Goodburn twice in the last few days but the budget hasn't been finalised yet.

He had no reason to name any player so I assume he's being genuine about keeping them.
Aren't Pearce, Wyke and Amos out of contract as well ?

Maloney has confirmed there are 7 players out of contract, and named 5 of them (McManaman, Kerr, Humphrys, Jones and Magennis) as players he has spoken to. But said it will probably be early April before he knows the budget and what he can offer them. The indication seemed like he wanted to keep them and they were all open to staying.

It seems to also suggest no one has an extension trigger.

He says he's met with Danson and Goodburn twice in the last few days but the budget hasn't been finalised yet.

He had no reason to name any player so I assume he's being genuine about keeping them.
Surely to god he cant want to keep Magennis

Magennis has made 37 appearances this season. If you have an automatic contract extension trigger that's probably enough to hit it. Massey got an automatic extension triggered despite not even playing 20 games.

I'd like to think we wouldn't have signed a 31 year old on a big wage 2 and a half year deal with an automatic trigger extension trigger but I wouldn't put anything past the previous owners. I'd also like to think the club would be fully aware on any trigger clauses and mindful not to hit them and get lumbered with expensive players we don't want next season.

I don't rate Magennis but if he doesn't play up front we haven't got anyone else who can play target man and the way we play needs someone to hold the ball. So we keep using him out of a complete lack of alternatives - if Stones was fit he'd be starting weekly by now.

We shouldn't be in this position and should've signed a target man instead of Kelman - who was never a fit from day one. But it's where we are.
Hopefully we will change the way we play then there wont be a need to play a target man up top on his own but the Maloney/Southgate shite way of playing seems to be the way so there wont be much hope of anything more interesting to watch next season.

If he gives that carthorse a contract then I’ll be joining Frank in the Maloney out camp. Let’s be honest here, we are so obviously deficient in this area it’s embarrassing. He’s shite and I wouldn’t keep him if he offered to pay us.

Ipswich owners issue new shares (40%) of the current shareholding to raise approx £105m. This values the club at £260m.
WBA sold recently for £60m, and they also had a load of debt, as I recall.
Derby sold for £60m.

Maybe Mr Danson does not mind big costs at the moment given the potential value.

The Price of Football podcast blames Ted Lasso, for introducing the excitement of promotion and relegation to USA potential owners. Plus the relatively low purchase cost compared to setting up a MSL club.

Hopefully we will change the way we play then there wont be a need to play a target man up top on his own but the Maloney/Southgate shite way of playing seems to be the way so there wont be much hope of anything more interesting to watch next season.

I think in general playing without a physical presence up front is very difficult regardless of how you play. As even if you don't want to play long ball you need someone up front who you can play the ball into and they can be strong enough to not get out muscled by the opposition centre halves and hold the ball so the rest of your team can move up the pitch. It also means that you've got someone to head the ball in when you put crosses into the box and having a good long ball option gives you more options to mix it up which is harder to play against. It makes defending easier knowing every clearance isnt going to automatically come back at you and makes it far easier to get a counter attack when you are under heavy pressure. Opposition teams also can't afford to go man for man high press and box you in on goal kicks without over exposing themselves to a ball over the top - so it makes playing out from the back easier. I think we've been crying out for a good target man for 3 years. Wyke wasn't a natural target man despite his size but in the few the games he was able to win the physical battles with his markers we looked a much better side for it. If we could get in slate striker who was good in the air and strong enough to give the opposition centre backs a run for their money every week I think we'd see a big improvement in the whole team.

I think the issue isn't the style of play Maloney wants to do is bad in itself, it's more we don't do it well enough often enough. I don't think we need to necessarily change the style as much as we need to play it with more urgency, intensity, tempo, movement, aggression etc every week not just against better sides. Which I think is more of a mentality issue.

Last edited:
If he gives that carthorse a contract then I’ll be joining Frank in the Maloney out camp. Let’s be honest here, we are so obviously deficient in this area it’s embarrassing. He’s shite and I wouldn’t keep him if he offered to pay us.

We know he's a big character in the dressing room and if Maloney wanted to keep that with an otherwise young squad I'd understand. But surely he'd have to be on a low wage and be deep squad cover who is sitting in the stands most weeks.

We surely can't be considering having him be anything more than 3rd choice striker if we decide to keep him around. A bit like we did with Noel Hunt a few years ago.

We know he's a big character in the dressing room and if Maloney wanted to keep that with an otherwise young squad I'd understand. But surely he'd have to be on a low wage and be deep squad cover who is sitting in the stands most weeks.

We surely can't be considering having him be anything more than 3rd choice striker if we decide to keep him around. A bit like we did with Noel Hunt a few years ago.

It’s time to move on. He’s shown in his time with us he isn’t good enough, and more importantly for me doesn’t put the effort in. For such a big bloke his inability to win a header is incredible. He hasn’t shown anywhere near enough to warrant a new contract and it would send a terrible message out if he was offered one.

It’s time to move on. He’s shown in his time with us he isn’t good enough, and more importantly for me doesn’t put the effort in. For such a big bloke his inability to win a header is incredible. He hasn’t shown anywhere near enough to warrant a new contract and it would send a terrible message out if he was offered one.

I agree he's not good enough, but there is a lot of stuff we don't see in the dressing room and we constantly hear how big a character he is.

We are probably going to be looking at calling up more academy lads and i suspect most of our new signings will also be young. So i could see Maloney being mindful of wanting to retain some experience and leadership and wanting to keep Magennis around for that. If that was the thinking and he was on a low wage and just 3rd choice that wouldn't be too bad, but i'd not want him to be taking up a decent wage and in contention unless we had injuries.

But preferably we'd move him on and bring in someone who can replace his off field influence and be more valuable on the field.

I know we want to sign young and upcoming talent with sell on value, but i think a couple of experienced players in their early 30's on free transfers could be really beneficial. Someone like Marlon Pack is captain at Pompey and has been great for them, but he's 32 and coming to the end of his contract. I think they'll give him another year after they go up but if they decided to let him go to bring in someone younger, he's the type of player we could do with in the middle of the park. I think Martin Kelly will probably end up here to that extent when he's on a free in the summer.

I'm not sure how old Kelly is, but he'd be excellent to have at L1 level next season, especially if we can keep hold of Kerr & Hughes.

I agree he's not good enough, but there is a lot of stuff we don't see in the dressing room and we constantly hear how big a character he is.

We are probably going to be looking at calling up more academy lads and i suspect most of our new signings will also be young. So i could see Maloney being mindful of wanting to retain some experience and leadership and wanting to keep Magennis around for that. If that was the thinking and he was on a low wage and just 3rd choice that wouldn't be too bad, but i'd not want him to be taking up a decent wage and in contention unless we had injuries.

But preferably we'd move him on and bring in someone who can replace his off field influence and be more valuable on the field.

I know we want to sign young and upcoming talent with sell on value, but i think a couple of experienced players in their early 30's on free transfers could be really beneficial. Someone like Marlon Pack is captain at Pompey and has been great for them, but he's 32 and coming to the end of his contract. I think they'll give him another year after they go up but if they decided to let him go to bring in someone younger, he's the type of player we could do with in the middle of the park. I think Martin Kelly will probably end up here to that extent when he's on a free in the summer.

Fully agree we need some experience in the team. Look at how mcmanaman provides it with how he plays. As for Magennis his time is up, whatever he may do or not do behind the scenes.

I'm not sure how old Kelly is, but he'd be excellent to have at L1 level next season, especially if we can keep hold of Kerr & Hughes.

He's turning 34 before the end of the season. But at Maloney's first fans forum before everything got turned upside down he said he wanted to sign him and have him here beyond his playing days.

So if he's free in the summer i could see him coming in on a 1 year deal with a view to joining the coaching staff after that.

Seems to be a high figure compared to other clubs
Maybe a case of needs must, given the state of the squad last summer.

A bit galling that we pick up an agent charge for cancelling the contract of Shinnie

Seems to be a high figure compared to other clubs
Maybe a case of needs must, given the state of the squad last summer.

A bit galling that we pick up an agent charge for cancelling the contract of Shinnie
Not the only ones to pay a contract cancel fee, but certainly not many of those type of transaction knocking about.

Fair play to Northampton, newly promoted team,. comfortable mid table and hardly any activity. Charlton - 42 transactions - wow. but a small average transaction fee.

You know I love a statistic, make of this breakdown what you will, I guess it's pretty meaningless if the fees are based on a % of the actual activity and we have no insight into those.

Hindley, I know this stuff bores you, scroll on by mate :cool:

1713000709870.png

I don't believe that the new regime would've spent that on agent fees and I bet the EFL wouldn't allow that level of payment while we are in embargo.

My guess is a large chunk of those agent fees were agreed by the previous ownership last January window but the payments made since.

I don't believe that the new regime would've spent that on agent fees and I bet the EFL wouldn't allow that level of payment while we are in embargo.

My guess is a large chunk of those agent fees were agreed by the previous ownership last January window but the payments made since.

I think you could be right KDZ, the new registrations (6) look to be current but the updated contract figure (15) is probably a carry over figure. I know we have offered new contracts to a number of the academy players who have made the squad but 15 looks to be a little high.