Hotel approved. | Vital Football

Hotel approved.

Spursex

Alert Team

Plans for new hotel next to stadium approved, targeting Euro 2028 completion​

Tottenham Hotspur moved one step closer to starting work on their new hotel on Monday after their plans for a 30-storey hotel next to the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium were approved by the Greater London Authority.
The project, which was approved by Haringey Council in December 2023, is scheduled to be ready in time for the European Championship in 2028, when the stadium will host games.

The hotel will consist of 180 rooms, with 49 residential apartments and 64 car park spaces. It will sit on a small plot of land — known as ‘Plot 3’ — by the junction of the High Road and Park Lane, by the south-west corner of the stadium. Given the small plot of land, the hotel is being built in a distinctive, tall thin style, with an accessible podium area which will be used for community events, as well as showcasing work by local artists.
Tottenham originally outlined planning permission for a 22-storey hotel on the site, but they submitted an application for an amendment to the design in August 2023. The new proposed design adds another 27 metres in height to the tower. The architects F3, who designed much of Tottenham Hotspur Stadium and the training ground, have described the project as a “4* lifestyle concept hotel”. The hotel will be the third biggest conferencing venue in London.

The new design was considered by Haringey Council planning officers this autumn, with rounds of consultation held in August and November. Haringey received a seven-signature petition from residents of Worcester Avenue, to the immediate east of the stadium, complaining about the potential traffic and noise, as well as the possible loss of light on nearby Commonwealth Road.
On October 18, 2023, Haringey’s ‘Quality Review Panel’ met to discuss the new design and wrote in their report that the proposals had “improved significantly” since the previous review.
When Haringey’s planning sub-committee met on December 11, 2023, the amended plan was approved. Tottenham said in a statement that week that they “look(ed) forward to working with Haringey Council on a wider masterplan for the area to deliver more homes, jobs and leisure activities critical to the delivery of the hotel”.
After Haringey approved the new plans, the only remaining steps were for a legal agreement with the borough and the Mayor’s office, which came on Monday. Jules Pipe, the deputy mayor for planning, regeneration and skills, wrote to Haringey confirming that he was content for them “to determine the case itself”, rather than the Mayor’s office determining it, meaning the project has passed one of the last remaining hurdles before work can start.

Call me a cynic...but what are the chances that the 49 residential apartmentments quickly become more than 49 as erm....the hotel bit is only really used on match day and isn't all that viable going forwards...

Call me a cynic...but what are the chances that the 49 residential apartmentments quickly become more than 49 as erm....the hotel bit is only really used on match day and isn't all that viable going forwards...
Cynic! lol

Actually Stu, building hotels alongside entertainment destinations is commonplace now, you'll have seen the new Marriot next to Sandy Park and they have just started the enlargement of the Etihad together with a new hotel next door. These are just two examples of many.

I'd beg to differ...but the proof will be in the operating.

32 High attendance staged events per year

Every home match (including the ladies)

International events

An exclusive conference centre for 200 + delegates, booked out to full probably 50 times per year (projected).

And it is extremely unlikely that the local council would grant change of use for the 131 rooms left after the residential sales.

It could well be a 'destination' for overseas visitors, as the general area is ill served for suitable accommodation and food..(which was all part of their business case in submission and which the council agreed with!)...and they're Labour through and through lol!

So, I'll call you a cynic! ;)

I'd beg to differ...but the proof will be in the operating.

32 High attendance staged events per year

Every home match (including the ladies)

International events

An exclusive conference centre for 200 + delegates, booked out to full probably 50 times per year (projected).

And it is extremely unlikely that the local council would grant change of use for the 131 rooms left after the residential sales.

It could well be a 'destination' for overseas visitors, as the general area is ill served for suitable accommodation and food..(which was all part of their business case in submission and which the council agreed with!)...and they're Labour through and through lol!

So, I'll call you a cynic! ;)
With such a large venue the hotel had to follow. It will be a huge boost for the area & further regeneration should follow.

The government will fill it with boat people before Mr L can sell the first room - then they will be demanding a free ticket at every home game.

I would like to know how this is being funded. Hotels are very expensive to build and it is very difficult to make money from them.

I would like to know how this is being funded. Hotels are very expensive to build and it is very difficult to make money from them.

Hotels are hot investments atm. The time is right. Also, there isn't any way the club would not be able to raise the cash separately from football operations for this project meaning the ticket price hike is not related in any way to the hotel.

Secondly, if the hotel needed ticket revenue to make it happen it wouldn't be a financially viable project. So I don't see any way that the two are linked.

Hotels are hot investments atm. The time is right. Also, there isn't any way the club would not be able to raise the cash separately from football operations for this project meaning the ticket price hike is not related in any way to the hotel.

Secondly, if the hotel needed ticket revenue to make it happen it wouldn't be a financially viable project. So I don't see any way that the two are linked.
All good points and I am sure they can raise the cash, presumably they will be borrowing the money which will also mean interest payments coming out of the club, financial covenants etc. So unless ENIC are putting the money in personally then I presume there will be some impact on the football club.

All good points and I am sure they can raise the cash, presumably they will be borrowing the money which will also mean interest payments coming out of the club, financial covenants etc. So unless ENIC are putting the money in personally then I presume there will be some impact on the football club.
You have to speculate to accumulate.

They have already said they'll start the hotel and homes 'when appropriate' - that's property investment speak for 'when we can get the right financing deal at the right price'.

I personally expect they'll only start come/towards the end of this year perhaps even next when interest rates will be much lower. They'll be reinvesting profits; our budgets for the footballing business has broadly been planned for the next 4 windows. But as always a part of it will depend on how we 'churn' players and how much we get for them.

So I expect any impact on our immediate plans to be minimal.

You have to speculate to accumulate.

They have already said they'll start the hotel and homes 'when appropriate' - that's property investment speak for 'when we can get the right financing deal at the right price'.

I personally expect they'll only start come/towards the end of this year perhaps even next when interest rates will be much lower. They'll be reinvesting profits; our budgets for the footballing business has broadly been planned for the next 4 windows. But as always a part of it will depend on how we 'churn' players and how much we get for them.

So I expect any impact on our immediate plans to be minimal.
They'll definitely want it completed with a period to prove the operation before the Euros come round in 2028.