Portsmouth at home and Play off Dates | Page 3 | Vital Football

Portsmouth at home and Play off Dates

I have to disagree.

I always think it feels like a bigger game when we have the Stacey West full of away fans.
I thought you might, I have no problem with that 😀. My personal preference though is for as much of the ground as possible to be filled with Imps fans. That’s not often possible, but currently that is becoming more likely so let’s make the most of it.

I agree with what you say. However we have to sell our tickets and put them on sale a reasonable time in advance of the game. I expect Portsmouth will sell there full quota of tickets for the game. I don't know the full capacity of the Stacey West stand but it would be more prudent economically to sell the tickets to the Portsmouth fans, as we only know to well in football that we may fall short of the play offs before the final set of matches and then we would'nt sell as many tickets for that match.

In my opinion we have better atmospheres (and performances on the pitch) when the Stacey West is packed out with away fans.

I totally agree with you about the atmosphere created when the Stacy West is full of away fans.

My argument would only of been prevalent if we we were actually playing for a play off spot on that day and having as many of our own fans in the stadium as possible for what would be a massive game.

As you say we may fall short but whatever the circumstances of that final game I'm sure there will be a fantastic atmosphere in the stadium generated by both sets of fans.

I totally agree with you about the atmosphere created when the Stacy West is full of away fans.

My argument would only of been prevalent if we we were actually playing for a play off spot on that day and having as many of our own fans in the stadium as possible for what would be a massive game.

As you say we may fall short but whatever the circumstances of that final game I'm sure there will be a fantastic atmosphere in the stadium generated by both sets of fans.
For now we have to assume there is still a possibility that we can make the playoffs. However, if we are to have a chance of doing so then realistically we will probably need at least a point off Portsmouth. I understand what people are saying about the volume of atmosphere when the Stacey West is full of noisy away fans (although some big clubs have been fairly quiet) but in a match where the Imps may have something significant at stake it would be foolish to not seek the advantage we’d get from maximising home support

Most teams in the championship would fill the Stacey West on Saturday match days and a lot of mid week games
This got me thinking. Take a look at this article from Football Ground Guide which was published in January:

On that basis, we would probably expect 2,000 sellouts from 15 clubs: Sunderland, Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday, Leicester, Ipswich, Coventry, Birmingham, Middlesbrough, West Brom, Stoke, Preston, Norwich, Hull, Huddersfield and Rotherham.

Plymouth, Southampton and Blackburn would be over 1,000 but well short of the capacity unless they are going well.

That leaves only Bristol City, QPR, Watford, Cardiff, Millwall and Swansea below the 1,000 mark, and they would still be decent numbers.

This got me thinking. Take a look at this article from Football Ground Guide which was published in January:

On that basis, we would probably expect 2,000 sellouts from 15 clubs: Sunderland, Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday, Leicester, Ipswich, Coventry, Birmingham, Middlesbrough, West Brom, Stoke, Preston, Norwich, Hull, Huddersfield and Rotherham.

Plymouth, Southampton and Blackburn would be over 1,000 but well short of the capacity unless they are going well.

That leaves only Bristol City, QPR, Watford, Cardiff, Millwall and Swansea below the 1,000 mark, and they would still be decent numbers.
And having not played the likes of QPR, Bristol City, Watford and Millwall in the league for many a year we would be a new ground for many of their fans, which might encourage more of them to travel up here than might otherwise do so, especially if we played them on a Saturday afternoon.

Last played Millwall in 99.
Watford probably 20 years before that.
QPR and Bristol City not a clue in the league.
Potentially swapping places with some of those if we did go up, long way to go before that happens.

Last played Millwall in 99.
Watford probably 20 years before that.
QPR and Bristol City not a clue in the league.
Potentially swapping places with some of those if we did go up, long way to go before that happens.
Last home matches:

Watford - League Cup in 1981, league in 1978
QPR - League in 1962
Bristol City - League in 1985

Get a grip folks .The game might yet be a dead rubber .If ,buts, maybe and what ifs .Let Pompey have a decent Allocation.A Guy left early during the Exeter game just before we scored , ironically and very very amusingly..He was letting every one know on the way out he was 'not prepared to put himself through such crap ' ruefully shaking his head as he left the stadium. It was as if the contest he was witnessing was some form of an insult to his superior football intellect.I would rather a die hard Pompey fan was able to attend the match and celebrate their promotion than have his sort swaggering out the stadium if the outcome is not to their liking.

Get a grip folks .The game might yet be a dead rubber .If ,buts, maybe and what ifs .Let Pompey have a decent Allocation.A Guy left early during the Exeter game just before we scored , ironically and very very amusingly..He was letting every one know on the way out he was 'not prepared to put himself through such crap ' ruefully shaking his head as he left the stadium. It was as if the contest he was witnessing was some form of an insult to his superior football intellect.I would rather a die hard Pompey fan was able to attend the match and celebrate their promotion than have his sort swaggering out the stadium if the outcome is not to their liking.
Why do you assume any extra tickets would go to knobheads like that? What about the hundreds of school kids who came to the Bristol Rovers game? Get them in for a big last day match, regardless of the outcome, and many will be hooked for life. We need those extra numbers coming back on a regular basis if the club is to progress

We haven’t lost at home for 8 games and playing the best football seen at the Bank for years and even kids for a quid we sell 9,000 home tickets. If the last game is vital, after the ST holders and scheme members claim their seats let’s flog the extras for £50, call it hospitality and give them a tray of chips.That should sort the wheat from the chaff.

Pompey took 4,000 to Peterborough recently, they won’t even get half that on Final Day.

It’s times like this I wish we had built an extra Tier on the SW like the original plans suggested.

Pompey took 4,000 to Peterborough recently, they won’t even get half that on Final Day.

It’s times like this I wish we had built an extra Tier on the SW like the original plans suggested.
Regrettably, as Liam explained, it would have taken ten years of full houses to pay for it.

Why do you assume any extra tickets would go to knobheads like that?

I didn't assume that at all . You did . I don't why I bother sharing my opinions on this site. I was making the assumption that the game could be a dead rubber and nothing to play for .The crowd would then be no where near capacity and the 'Exeter ' type fan would unlikely attend leading to empty seats in the Stacey West. That would be quite an embarrassment if the Pompey allocation was reduced .I very much doubt the club will reduce Pompey allocation in any case and therefore at least ensure that some of their fanbase can potentially witness them being crowned Champions.

We haven’t lost at home for 8 games and playing the best football seen at the Bank for years and even kids for a quid we sell 9,000 home tickets. If the last game is vital, after the ST holders and scheme members claim their seats let’s flog the extras for £50, call it hospitality and give them a tray of chips.That should sort the wheat from the chaff.
.... just for the record I have booked my hospitality ticket (before Xmas) for the last game of the season as I do most seasons as that's the only way I can get a ticket (not living near Lincoln obviously) for me and my mates who also now live away from the metropolis and indeed it costs £50 but we're happy to pay that. As for the chips??? Does that make me a wheat or chaff? Anyway whether its a dead rubber or not we'll be in the pub afterwards and looking forward to Wembley or life again in League 1