Fisherman's Friends versus Uncle Joe's balls | Page 9 | Vital Football

Fisherman's Friends versus Uncle Joe's balls

I’ve said this before. I don’t recognise the dna of this team. It certainly isn’t the Wigan Athletic I have supported for over 40 years. Zero passion, will to win when it matters. Absolute joke. It isn’t the manager’s fault. It’s the mindset of the players. Pathetic.

I’ve said this before. I don’t recognise the dna of this team. It certainly isn’t the Wigan Athletic I have supported for over 40 years. Zero passion, will to win when it matters. Absolute joke. It isn’t the manager’s fault. It’s the mindset of the players. Pathetic.
No passion? Short memory? Tuesday night?

I will judge Maloney fully next season when he has had a summer of no restrictions on the transfer front and very likely a budget boosted by fees received for Hughes and Tickle. This season was always going to be one in transition and thankfully we are only 2/3 wins off being able to fully confirm safety. Heres hoping we can get it done by Cambridge away/Port Vale at home.

That said its a big summer ahead on the transfer front, as that result today showed. People are touting Lang, McClean etc as misses but to me the biggest glaring absence is Tom Naylor. Im always a fan of having some experience in deep central midfield. To help guide Scott Smith and Baba Adeeko in their first full season as professionals in senior football. I accept there had to be cuts to the playing budget. However, when you look at the extremely limited contributions both Kell Watts and Charlie Goode have put in since signing and fact combined wages we are covering for both is probably similar to what Naylor was on, i cant help but feel we should have kept Naylor and not bothered with both those loans.

I also agree on Clare, he has been poor for a while now, having said that i dont think he is a right back in a back four nor a right sided centre back in a back three. The two positions he has played the most this season. Some Charlton and Oxford fans i spoke to about Clare seemed to say the further up the pitch you have Clare the better. Or words to that extent and i agree, to me you play him as a right winger or right wing back with 3 CBs behind him.

Thankfully the results today have gone in our favour and we still have a healthy cushion to the bottom four. However, a few more wins and the end to this season cannot come soon enough. I just hope that some worrying trends such as a lack of physicality/experience in the midfield and the amount of shots that have rained down on Tickle's goal this season can be addressed in the summer.

Considering the financial restrictions in place and the points deduction Maloney has done well this season overall to get us to where we are and he has earned the right both to conduct a rebuild this summer with no restrictions and to be judged fully at the half way point of or slightly later than that point this time next season.

Forget all the bullshit, Dansons priority should be to appoint a CEO bin this clown in charge of team affairs and appoint a manager of their own.

WAFC is a fuckin' embarrasment at the moment and its up to Danson and co to get it sorted before next season, thats if there is any real interest and ambition for the club.

Not for the first time, our manager out thought himself today. Scott Smith was my MOM because he rolled his sleeves up and got stuck in when he came on but that shouldn’t be surprising as his game is more suited to that pitch than most of our team. What was surprising was that we set up on a bog of pitch with 5 at the back and 3 up front and tried to play ‘pretty’ football.
We somehow got our noses in front and then instead of keeping things as they were, dropped off 15 yards and tried to defend it out with 60 minutes to go! Aasgaard was put into the number 9 position for 20 minutes either side of half time!
Forget fluid formation rotating, forget passing it around the back until spaces open up, sometimes it needs players to battle it out and want to win. Unfortunately our mindset was a mile off today and that started and ended with the manager and in the middle involved some pathetic goals conceded.

Tuesday night was good. Many, many other winnable matches haven’t been and that’s just not good enough bearing in mind the talent in this team,
Be fair Formby, half of the players get slagged off by a number of members of this forum on a weekly basis.

General opinions seem to be:
Clare ... shite
Goode ... shite
Pearce ... Sick note and shite
M Smith ... going backwards
Adeeko ... shite
S Smith ... not good enough in midfield
Aasgard ... too lightweight ... and lazy
Humphrys ... not interested
Godo ... not the same since his injury
Magennis ... leat said the better

That's by far the majority of the regular first eleven.

Now ... tell me about this talent.

I believe we have a talented squad but their mindset in certain games is deficient and sometimes their will to win is lacking. I don’t care what other people think about individual players. We have some really good ones but they need to start showing some passion and a desire to win matches. That is what I mean when I say their dna is lacking.

I believe we have a talented squad but their mindset in certain games is deficient and sometimes their will to win is lacking. I don’t care what other people think about individual players. We have some really good ones but they need to start showing some passion and a desire to win matches. That is what I mean when I say their dna is lacking.
I agree 100% with this and have been saying it for a while. This squad is not a scratch squad like some would want us to believe. 2020-21 was a scratch squad and overachieved by staying up. This squad is underachieving.

I think they've shown passion and desire on lots of occasions... not least in backs to the wall performances where we've managed to take all 3 points from games where we've been second best.

We're an inconsistent mid table team playing inconsistently. That's all.

Today, Liverpool beat Forest in Fergie time. Just cos you're you're one of the best doesn't mean you're always going to wipe the floor with the bottom teams who are fighting for their lives.

No passion?After Tuesday night that's total nonesense.Maybe you should go to games rather than listen on the radio,You may be surprised at the passion

I agree 100% with this and have been saying it for a while. This squad is not a scratch squad like some would want us to believe. 2020-21 was a scratch squad and overachieved by staying up. This squad is underachieving.
So who's under performing?

Yes we battled on Tuesday and scraped a win against Bolton but within a few days fucked it up against Fleetwood and I mean fucked it up!

Its been the same all season, as someone else said maybe Evatt had a point after all.
So, would you take Evatt over Maloney?

No passion?After Tuesday night that's total nonesense.Maybe you should go to games rather than listen on the radio,You may be surprised at the passion
I do go to games and have been doing so for 45 years. Dont tell me I am talking nonsense.

And I wouldn’t be surprised at the passion. Far too often I see talented players going through the motions and demonstrating minimal passion. This squad is capable of much more imo and that is what I find so frustrating.

Wigan Athletic.
I suppose it all depends on your expectations, your acceptance of our position post (2nd) admin and your ability/willingness to be realistic about how we perform throughout a whole game.

If anything, I'd say we're probably slightly over performing.

Are they the only two options?
Your blind support and taking positives from negativity is quite refreshing.
Your negativity to anyone who has a difference of opinion is however a weakness.
For me, realistically, there's only one option.

I e no problem criticising the players and manager for getting things wrong, but I'm a big fan of context.

It's nothing to do with difference if opinion ... just logic.