The Official Salford City Match Thread (Sponsored by the Class of 92 "for all your investment-seeking needs") | Vital Football

The Official Salford City Match Thread (Sponsored by the Class of 92 "for all your investment-seeking needs")

HerrLjunga

Vital 1st Team Regular
Last time out we narrowly knocked over media darlings Wrexham by yet another 1-0 margin of victory which had the added bonus of annoying a fair few of their newly minted American fans into the bargain (YouTube being a post-match goldmine of US Wrexham vlogs from their game against Gill-ing-HAM). What we now need is to take our recent decent form and continue it away at another side that could be viewed as a bit "artificially enhanced" in Salford City.

The Ammies current league position of 19th belies their recent improvement following the arrival of everyone's favourite Scouser, Karl Robinson, who has only tasted one defeat in his ten games in charge, that being last weekend's 5-1 battering at top of the table Mansfield, following which the cheeky chappy uncharacteristically threw his toys out of the pram in the direction of the officials. Salford's four wins under Robinson include a couple of very decent results against Disney FC (3-1) and Barrow (5-3), and in Matt Smith they have a goal-scorer of some prowess with 23 goals in 40 appearances this season, including Salford's sole effort against us in the corresponding fixture. That said, they only have one clean sheet at home this season and we all know how much we love a 0-1 to the Gillingham...

Gills injury list looks much the same as last time out, still missing Jefferies, Lapslie, Andrews and Hurtado (who may yet be seen flailing his limbs about in Gills blue this season) while Jake Turner and Glenn Morris look to be neck-and-neck in the race to start between the sticks. Luke Garbutt will be absent suspended for our opponents who are also suffering with their own significant injury list.

The head to head comprises a grand total of three fixtures since our inaugural meeting just over two years ago, Gills leading 2-1 in terms of wins. For the highlights the only possible option is the final game of last season, and our debut at the Peninsula Stadium, when we defeated play-off bound Salford...yep, 0-1 courtesy of Cheye Alexander's penalty to the delight of the 754 Gills in the away end who had a relaxed afternoon knowing that relegation out of the Football League was nothing more than a swiftly fading nightmare.

We've already shifted over 500 tickets for tomorrow, evidence of yet another quality turnout by the Gills faithful who face two loooooong away trips (830 miles in total from Priestfield) in the space of just four days, with Barrow to come on Tuesday night, an absolute hero's task that one and fully deserving of recognition especially as it'll be on iFollow. In the warm. With beer. And a 15 second walk to bed if it all goes tits.

Safe travels to anyone making the trip, it's one that might look easier on paper than Wrexham or Stockport but as recent Salford results have shown under new management, we'll have to be absolutely on our game tomorrow to stop Matt Smith and co and bring all three crucial points back to Kent.

Enjoy the game and...

COYG!

Last edited:
On the supporters coach again with GITB Matt & Ava hoping for a better day out than last time v Newport.

Need to be at our defensive best to shut out our nemesis, the perpetually prolific Matt Smith.

As ever the pertinent question is can we create enough goalscoring chances?

Expect a really tight game. Perhaps another 0-1 Gills win if we can keep Smith quiet. Otherwise, 1-1 which would not be a disaster.

Late one for me as 19:00 KO going to be a long day waiting let’s hope the Gills 11 turn up and put on a performance especially for those travelling

Think we really near to push on today. We’ve broke into the playoffs several times this season after dropping off after the great start but always seem to drop back straight away. I know we’re now 8th, but with the inconsistency in the division, a good run in March should put us in a comfortable position for the run in. Today’s the sort of match we need to win to get out charge on the road back on track, but essential that we don’t lose. Obviously we need to keep things tights at the back, but I think if we do that, we have enough quality in the midfield (including the bench) to create chances and Hawkins will always be a threat (and we are finally using him correctly!)

Same team as last week for me. Head says 1-1; but heart we sneak a 1-0.

Two big games with Barrow actually the bigger in my view (avoid defeat to them and I feel we will finish above them). My Barrow supporting mates have just messaged that their game is off again so they will have fresh legs on Tuesday.

We need to put a little run together - hopefully the confidence of last week will spur us on but as ever the question remains, other than a set piece where are the goals coming from ?

Two big games with Barrow actually the bigger in my view (avoid defeat to them and I feel we will finish above them). My Barrow supporting mates have just messaged that their game is off again so they will have fresh legs on Tuesday.

We need to put a little run together - hopefully the confidence of last week will spur us on but as ever the question remains, other than a set piece where are the goals coming from ?
Would agree with this. Whilst draws with FGR and the swine and defeats to Tranmere and Bradford are obviously frustrating and disappointing, it’s far more beneficial beating sides that are in and around us. Especially as they SHOULD actually be trying to win the game too, which then opens them up a little, allowing us to find spaces/counter attack/etc.

Barrow`s home game last Saturday v Bradford was also called off (at the last minute) and their "B" team game v Salford last Tuesday (might have been Wednesday) was also called off due to weather. It`ll be interesting to see how they respond next Tuesday.

Barrow`s home game last Saturday v Bradford was also called off (at the last minute) and their "B" team game v Salford last Tuesday (might have been Wednesday) was also called off due to weather. It`ll be interesting to see how they respond next Tuesday.
The bradford one was interesting. My mate was planning to attend and said there was nothing wrong with the pitch but the ref didn't like the bounce of the ball. They did an open training session on the pitch for the fans to watch.

Today's cancellation is at Crawley which is interesting. It did rain a lot in the South East yesterday but surprised enough to waterlog the pitch.

Feel we need 3 points today to show intent lot of talk from players about pushing on so let’s do it on the pitch

Two ways of looking at it. Maybe they will be rusty.