Wet shave blades, n/g | Vital Football

Wet shave blades, n/g

PhilK66

Vital 1st Team Regular
Looking for recommendations. Cannot use electric so for quite a few years I've shaved with Wilkinson 5 blades and shaving five mornings a week a packet of four was lasting a year.

But in the last year the quality and life of a blade has deteriorated markedly and I'm lucky if it lasts for ten shaves.

Anyone else with this experience? Advice on different brands would be much appreciated.

Looking for recommendations. Cannot use electric so for quite a few years I've shaved with Wilkinson 5 blades and shaving five mornings a week a packet of four was lasting a year.

But in the last year the quality and life of a blade has deteriorated markedly and I'm lucky if it lasts for ten shaves.

Anyone else with this experience? Advice on different brands would be much appreciated.
I use the same. Going through them slowly so haven't noticed any deterioration yet, so still happy with them Mind you, as a wrinkly I only shave every 3 days.

This question is too simple for Wxgill. This is a League 2 issue and Wxgill is Premiership/Champions League level.

Edit: have used those disposable ones on holiday in the past and left half my face in the bathroom along with copious amounts of blood.:eek:

For years I lived near a Waitrose store and it became my local for everything, apart from essentials in Savers. I now live near an Aldi - it is the only supermarket I visit and I feel I am winning at life! I totally recommend the Aldi 5-blade at a fraction of the cost of the big brands.

Please tell me how you do it Phil - I use the same blades and think I have done well if I can shave 5 times before having to change it. I am also shocked at the price of the bloody things. We almost need to take out a loan when buying a new set of blades.

I circumvented that particular problem for a long time by growing a beard however, the beard has turned a deep shade of ...... white so I'm back scraping my face most days.

Edit: I now use the Philips Oneblade Pro before soaping up and it takes the whiskers back almost to the skin making wet shaving a lot lets labourious.

I get tired of paying the price of the multi-blade, multi-strip fancy jobs, say enough, buy a packet of once-only Bics, spend a week saying they're just as a good, a week hacking my face to bits, then shove the rest under the sink, and revert to the good ones, until they get used up, and back I go. I never learn.

This question is too simple for Wxgill. This is a League 2 issue and Wxgill is Premiership/Champions League level.

Haha this is true, if WxGill had a question on razor blades it would be brilliantly specific and the thread would be called ' Lubricating Strips' and a question on aloe Vera or something.

Please tell me how you do it Phil - I use the same blades and think I have done well if I can shave 5 times before having to change it. I am also shocked at the price of the bloody things. We almost need to take out a loan when buying a new set of blades.

I circumvented that particular problem for a long time by growing a beard however, the beard has turned a deep shade of ...... white so I'm back scraping my face most days.

Edit: I now use the Philips Oneblade Pro before soaping up and it takes the whiskers back almost to the skin making wet shaving a lot lets labourious.
I have facial skin as soft as a new born's bum.

Another point re extending blade life: never let the other half use it for armpits, legs or other parts!

I think I made my last blade last up to 6 months before the plastic broke and I couldn’t make it reattach to the handle. Key to make it last is to shave at the end of showering when the face is wet and softened by the hot shower and then put on a decent amount of shower gel. I also tend to shave most days so that the beard hair is not too long that it is more likely to get stuck between the blades and tug on the face. I also find a lot of quick short strokes reduces the risk of cuts.

I wet shave and highly recommend Bic Flex 3 - 4 for £2.25 at Savers:

There is also Bic Flex 4 with one extra blade in each shaver but that makes it too sharp for me, so I always end up nicking myself. There are also only 3 in each pack.

Each shaver usually stays sharp enough to give a close shave for 2 to 3 weeks IMO.

Old style razor blades required a slight amount of care and attention. Shaving soap was solid, cheap and lasted long. I alternate between that method and a very basic electric. All the system shit is over priced, plastic crap. Disposables are ok for occasional use.

I think I made my last blade last up to 6 months before the plastic broke and I couldn’t make it reattach to the handle. Key to make it last is to shave at the end of showering when the face is wet and softened by the hot shower and then put on a decent amount of shower gel. I also tend to shave most days so that the beard hair is not too long that it is more likely to get stuck between the blades and tug on the face. I also find a lot of quick short strokes reduces the risk of cuts.
I agree with you about showering.... I actually shave whicle I am having a shower, only irriation being that the mirror steams up but, by using rain-x on it once in a while makes it usable....