Glenn Morris to start on Saturday? | Vital Football

Glenn Morris to start on Saturday?

Interesting to see if he releases the ball faster. Will help the debate on whether Turner has any options.

We are lucky to have two quality keepers.
If there is any doubt about Turners fitness then Morris should start.
It would be disappointing to have to waste one of our substitutions swapping keepers on Saturday but I'm sure Clemence is all over that.

As has been said if there is any doubt then Morris MUST play. Very fortunate to have such an able, experienced & reliable deputy. Without Turner of course there will be one less thing for certain fans to moan about. Probably in his absence it will be Ehmer returning to his traditional scapegoat role.

This obsession needs to stop.

Turner is a good goalie who, I am convinced, is having his confidence undermined by this whole saga.

Make the right pass, not the quickest.

Odd reply.

I’m dead against the pressure Turner is coming under inside the stadium.

But if Morris does play it certainly will be interesting to see how he deals with an aspect of the game that Turner gets a lot of criticism for.

Turner is a good shot stopper but his distribution is appalling - fact. Hutton and Clark take up unmarked wide positions but Turner never sees them or throws the ball to them - fact. Turner waits for all the players to congregate at the main stand and then kicks the ball to them - fact. Most of the supporters are fed up of the slow build up of play when Turner recycles the ball - fact. Most of the supporters are fed up of the tactic which brings all the players back to defend corners - not Turners fault but he should be complaining to the manager about not having anyone to pass to!

Turner is a good shot stopper but his distribution is appalling - fact. Hutton and Clark take up unmarked wide positions but Turner never sees them or throws the ball to them - fact. Turner waits for all the players to congregate at the main stand and then kicks the ball to them - fact. Most of the supporters are fed up of the slow build up of play when Turner recycles the ball - fact. Most of the supporters are fed up of the tactic which brings all the players back to defend corners - not Turners fault but he should be complaining to the manager about not having anyone to pass to!
Agree with most of that....
("erratic" rather than "appalling"?)

But as posted before, Turner comes out for crosses (when Morris didn't used to) - and seems to reach more top corner shots than some keepers.

That said, with Turner injuring his back / side last Tuesday, content to give Morris a chance.

On "slow build up of play".
I'm content for a few "slow build-ups"- but I think most of us want the oppo defence to be "surprised" a bit more often.

For example, when the fullbacks are poised for a short goal kick, it draws oppos forward.
But when the GK changes his mind (to a long kick) he should do so quickly.
Instead he waves forward his fullbacks - waits 3 seconds- allowing the oppo defence to regroup. Bizarre !

This obsession needs to stop.

Turner is a good goalie who, I am convinced, is having his confidence undermined by this whole saga.

Make the right pass, not the quickest.
But what if the right pass is the quick release to have us attack on the break as they have committed too many forward ?

He is a good keeper but he needs to improve his distribution. Every player can improve and thats what the coaches should be working on with him

By the way its a discussion forum you dont get to decide whats allowed to be discussed 😉

But what if the right pass is the quick release to have us attack on the break as they have committed too many forward ?

He is a good keeper but he needs to improve his distribution. Every player can improve and thats what the coaches should be working on with him

By the way its a discussion forum you dont get to decide whats allowed to be discussed 😉

Agree with point 1. That's the "right pass" in that scenario.

Agree with point 2. Development is the key part of this coaching staff's job. I somehow suspect they know this though, they are professionals and don't need us to tell them. Assuming they don't is absurd.

Point 3, of course I don't. But if I see it as borderline BS and I think it's detrimental, I'm calling it out, respectfully. It has the potential to do more damage than good.

I'd love to see the Gills do an open training session so that fans can see that guys like SC, RS and DI are already doing these things and have been for years. It bewilders me. In the heat of a match, it's not always easy to reframe that instinct.

Grandson is a goalkeeper and is a big Morris fan, has a shirt with his name on the back
He's one of mascots tomorrow and has borrowed a friend's shirt with Turner's name for the day. Might have to turn up with both.
Great day for the lad to bag mascot duties. He won't forget tomorrow for sure!

Agree with point 1. That's the "right pass" in that scenario.

Agree with point 2. Development is the key part of this coaching staff's job. I somehow suspect they know this though, they are professionals and don't need us to tell them. Assuming they don't is absurd.

Point 3, of course I don't. But if I see it as borderline BS and I think it's detrimental, I'm calling it out, respectfully. It has the potential to do more damage than good.

I'd love to see the Gills do an open training session so that fans can see that guys like SC, RS and DI are already doing these things and have been for years. It bewilders me. In the heat of a match, it's not always easy to reframe that instinct.

You misunderstand me. I am sure the coaches are as well, which is even more frustrating that he he doesn't look for it the early ball, at least sometimes.

Really not sure what you think is BS - that he takes too long to restart play ? Plenty on here seem to be making the same point and the crowd are clearly voicing their frustration.

My point that if Morris plays it will be interesting to see if he can find players to release the ball to. Many say Turner can't as no one is available, I don't agree with that but if Morris can't release the ball early then maybe its true. Alternatively if Morris can then maybe it is an area Turner needs to work on.

Its amazing how good a player becomes in some peoples minds when they are out of the team and how rubbish they are when they are in the team.

When Morris was in the team last season there were people moaning he did not come for crosses or could not save shoots in the top orner, because of height.

To me, we've had three managers this season, all three have gone for Turner as their No.1. All three mangers have see alot more of the 2 players in training than any of us.

Grandson is a goalkeeper and is a big Morris fan, has a shirt with his name on the back
He's one of mascots tomorrow and has borrowed a friend's shirt with Turner's name for the day. Might have to turn up with both.
I was mascot in 1992 as an 8th birthday present, and so impressionable was I at that age that Gary Breen became my favourite ever player (probably still is), just because he was nice to me! I hope your grandson gets the lifetime of memories that I got.