I was desperately unhappy | Vital Football

I was desperately unhappy

alex_farrells_left_peg

Vital Squad Member
with the results lately (apart from Notts. C of course) and after the Newport game/result, I have had to admit to myself that, in my opinion, we are not going to get anywhere near the play-offs. Somehow or other, the team seems incapable of putting together a string of results which would see us heading up toward the top of the division. I truly think our season is over and wonder whether others are like minded.

I realise that by placing this thread I am opening myself up to a barrage of derision but I am so bloody disappointed that I don't really care that much.

Clearly my heart hopes that I am utterly wrong, that the team will turn things around and get us climbing up the league unfortunately my logic says that is not going to happen. I will be watching this evening but it we lose again, that will probably be the last nail in the promotion coffin.

Last edited:
I agree. Our midfield are not scoring or creating chances for our so called forwards.
At least we are safe from relegation.

I'm on the same page. We're just not good enough and certainly not consistent enough. One good performance followed by 2-3 naff ones. I'm resigned to another season in the basement. The summer recruitment is going to be crucial.

Once you accept that we are not going up this year you can start to enjoy the games without getting all screwed up. The Swindon game was excellent entertainment with none of the tippy tappy associated with modern football.
It was like a cup tie.
If we play with that intensity tonight, it should be a cracking game.

I realise that by placing this thread I am opening myself up to a barrage of derision but I am so bloody disappointed that I don't really care that much.

Clearly my heart hopes that I am utterly wrong, that the team will turn things around and get us climbing up the league unfortunately my logic says that is not going to happen. I will be watching this evening but it we lose again, that will probably be the last nail in the promotion coffin.
Your opinion is as valid as anyone else`s. As it happens, I suspect that you`re far from alone in your thinking.

Look for a positive - here`s one: Carlisle are coming down - nice "local-ish" trip for you (and moi) next season :cheers:

It's the intensity and energy that has been missing all season. On the odd occasion we've seen it we've played well and looked a decent side. Sadly that hasn't been often enough but why?, that's the 64$ million question.

Last edited:
I'm on the same page. We're just not good enough and certainly not consistent enough. One good performance followed by 2-3 naff ones. I'm resigned to another season in the basement. The summer recruitment is going to be crucial.
I sadly tend to agree. I go to matches always in hope but rarely do I feel that we’ve turned any sort of corner when it comes to performance. Will I be pleasantly surprised ? It’s the hope that kills isn’t it ?

Long term Gills fans should all be used to it by now. Even those that have only become indoctrinated in the last few seasons should be getting the message.

I posted it somewhere else but lack of goals is the biggest thing that makes me unhappy, 102 in our last 124 league games.

No wonder we get so excited on the rare occasions that we score 3 in a game.

Win tonight and it will all turn around again. Maybe. But I agree, it does feel like that would only prolong the agony of vague hope.

Unfortunately it was more of the " same old, same old" albeit it against the runaway leaders. Thankfully, they showed some fight in the first half, going in
0-0 against the wind however, there was not much to shout about in the second half and, as far as I can remember, not one of the midfielders had the notion to shoot from outside the box.

Saturday will be harder...... lets hope the team (and motivation) turn up against Wrexham.

Last edited:
They are ten teams that could be chasing be the last playoff spot. At least two of those teams are likely to find there form and sadly I can't see us being one of them.

I am not confident that we will finish in the top half at present. I have moved from the seeing clear changes in style camp to the it's no different from Harris camp.

I fear this season will peater out. Recruitment will be wrong again in the Summer and Brad will pull the trigger again in the autumn months.

I hope I am wrong but many a team has got bogged down in this league for a number of years.

They are ten teams that could be chasing be the last playoff spot. At least two of those teams are likely to find there form and sadly I can't see us being one of them.

I am not confident that we will finish in the top half at present. I have moved from the seeing clear changes in style camp to the it's no different from Harris camp.

I fear this season will peater out. Recruitment will be wrong again in the Summer and Brad will pull the trigger again in the autumn months.

I hope I am wrong but many a team has got bogged down in this league for a number of years.
Our promotion ambition does now look like a big ask. But, come the end of this season, the Gallinsons will surely have learned an awful lot !

All this moaning is justified, but the saying of the league table never lying, is also very true, at the moment we are only out of the play offs on goal difference.

If performance levels do pick up and we do qualify for the play offs, we have really good chance of going up. Fortunately or unfortunately on the basis of the Charlton and Southampton games, this team has shown it can raise it;s game for a big game

All this moaning is justified, but the saying of the league table never lying, is also very true, at the moment we are only out of the play offs on goal difference.

If performance levels do pick up and we do qualify for the play offs, we have really good chance of going up. Fortunately or unfortunately on the basis of the Charlton and Southampton games, this team has shown it can raise it;s game for a big game
but is apparently unable to replicate it on a regular level. We have had two stellar performances from the team and, generally speaking, the rest have just been mediocre to average. To win league prizes, all the top teams have to have the capacity to keep their level of playing above all those around them. We had that for a while under Stimson, Mad dog and Taylor (thanks to Hessy and Pulis) but have not seen anything remotely like that ever since.

For a team hoping to get promoted, every game should be considered as being "big". This team and the management are unable to tap into ethos and as such we are unsure as to which team is going to turn up on match dag. This inconsistancy almost certainly means, we are unlikely to succeed in the way the owners, the team itself and, importantly, the supporters want.

I hate to say it but we are a small club with a small club mentality. The Galinsons gave us, in the beginning, a glimpse of what should be possible and everyone jumped on the bandwagen. Unfortunately, the wheels have come off and, in spite of all the measures taken in trying to try to uplift anything and everything connected to the club, it is now sliding slowly back down to where it was under Scally. If you have enough money, and are willing to risk/invest most of it, you can buy success and even though the Galinsons are millionaires, I don't honestly thinkthey are ianywhere near the same league as the billionaires who have bought our "big" football teams and basically running all of our main competitions.