swindon game dilemma | Vital Football

swindon game dilemma

wxgill

Vital 1st Team Regular
I want to go to the game tomorrow but:

i hate driving home after a night game to East kent.

Part of the A2 is shut tomorrow so it's either the M20 or a 35 mile diversion.

I have to be up at 4am Wednesday for work,

Choices, choices.

Choices, choices.
The obvious choice would to be to call in sick on Wednesday but.... being a man of repute, I cannot really see you doing that. Alternative is to use a VPN and say you live in Belgium, that way you can watch in on iFollow, Last option would be to ask for a day off on wednesday (could be you have wedding to go to, childs diploma ceremony!

Being an upstanding man myself, I just use the VPN saying that I live on foreign soil. Come on, give me a break, I live in Scotland which, most certainly is not England after all!

Choices, choices.
Maybe a lift might be the answer for you WX any offers?

The obvious choice would to be to call in sick on Wednesday but.... being a man of repute, I cannot really see you doing that. Alternative is to use a VPN and say you live in Belgium, that way you can watch in on iFollow, Last option would be to ask for a day off on wednesday (could be you have wedding to go to, childs diploma ceremony!

Being an upstanding man myself, I just use the VPN saying that I live on foreign soil. Come on, give me a break, I live in Scotland which, most certainly is not England after all!
Should be on ifollow in the UK anyway since it's not a Saturday 3pm

Speaking of M2/M20, which would you take heading from Heathrow on the M25 to Canterbury? In days of yore, I would have driven around the M25 to the M2, no brainer. Last time, my phone told me to leave at the M20, making me think my previous "choice" had merely been operant conditioning from years of driving to Medway, but now I just don't know anymore.

My advice would be this: go to the game and watch Gills thrash the living daylights out of the Swine. Book in to the Premier Inn and live high on the hog for a whole damn week. Go back to East Kent, lay down in a field and wait until someone finds you. Claim to have been abducted and probed by aliens. Enjoy the media circus. Wait until it's died down, then creep out and do the same thing for Stockport on Tuesday week, when there may be rail disruptions.

Choices, choices.

Go sick mate, say you've got a rotator cuff injury after waving your scarf too vigorously during the rousing version of The Last Waltz pre game.

Choices, choices.
Train?
As hopefully I will tomorrow, unless there's a damn strike!

iFollow is the obvious solution, but I suspect WX might not want to pay twice for the same game, assuming he’s got a season ticket.
Still the £10 would probably be less than the fuel used to get to and from Priestfield, unless he drives an electric vehicle!

Speaking of M2/M20, which would you take heading from Heathrow on the M25 to Canterbury? In days of yore, I would have driven around the M25 to the M2, no brainer. Last time, my phone told me to leave at the M20, making me think my previous "choice" had merely been operant conditioning from years of driving to Medway, but now I just don't know anymore.

Myself coming up the M3, I tend to refuel at the Costa at Clacket and then down the M26 / M20 and up Blue Bell Hill at junction 6. Can't recall a time I got delayed on that route beyond a stretch of 50mph average speed camera a year or so back upon joining the M20.

Unofficially the M26 is an excellent stretch of road to make up time if you are someone who wants to drive on the edge of the speed limit if you know what I mean 😉

I believe the M25 directly onto the M2 is supposed to be marginally quicker by about 5 minutes but I tend to avoid the junction 2 onto the M2 as if there is a jam from the bridge then the delays will ensure significant delay getting onto the M2. The M20 route is probably more reliable and consistent a route. (Cue me jinxing the route)

Ah, that all depends on if you’re driving clockwise or anticlockwise. Somewhat like up or down Maidstone Road. There’s never a clear cut answer to these problems.

I tend to drive in whatever direction the car’s going. 👍🏻
Serious reply:
From Heathrow drive anticlockwise on M25. Turn off at M26 towards Maidstone. Join M20 towards Ashford. Turn off onto A20 through Lenham. On towards Charing and take A252 straight to Canterbury.
This avoids the dreaded Dartford crossing which can add hours to your journey.
👍

Serious reply:
From Heathrow drive anticlockwise on M25. Turn off at M26 towards Maidstone. Join M20 towards Ashford. Turn off onto A20 through Lenham. On towards Charing and take A252 straight to Canterbury.
This avoids the dreaded Dartford crossing which can add hours to your journey.
👍
Cheers dwg. Makes sense.

Choices, choices.
I get your dilemma WX.
The drive home is a real grind when you’ve been standing for two hours watching the game.
Get the train.

Watch it on iFollow. After the euphoria of last Friday, we’re bound to be disappointing tonight and this whole board will go in to meltdown. Is the drive really worth it?