good/bad old days eh? | Page 3 | Vital Football

good/bad old days eh?

I'll be back next season now the cheating has stopped, come on Moonay have a go I reckon I'll finish higher than you, up for it?
Nah, just not bothered about it. The size of our crowds doesn't worry me, so guessing what they might be (especially given the fickle nature of some buggers! - "ah'm gooi ner moo-er" !) seems a bit pointless ... but each to their own.

Nah, just not bothered about it. The size of our crowds doesn't worry me, so guessing what they might be (especially given the fickle nature of some buggers! - "ah'm gooi ner moo-er" !) seems a bit pointless ... but each to their own.
Didn't you say attendances were on the up? Should be a good challenge for you this.

Didn't you say attendances were on the up? Should be a good challenge for you this.
Nope, I didn't say that ... I just said that they weren't down. ;)

Any road, if you and WBL are right, it's gonna be more like "spot" the crowd than "guess" the crowd isn't it?
:LOL:

Nope, I didn't say that ... I just said that they weren't down. ;)

Any road, if you and WBL are right, it's gonna be more like "spot" the crowd than "guess" the crowd isn't it?
:LOL:
What I said crowds will drop next season and if no investment the season after and so on

What I said crowds will drop next season and if no investment the season after and so on
I see little reason for crowds dropping off next season if we stay up this season. This was always going to be (a very rare) season of consolidation. Going back to August, I doubt there's a poster on this board, even Frank, who wouldn't have been happy with our current position at the end of January.

As for investment, I suspect that it will all depend on our own interpretations of what it means. Selling our best assets, and using that money to sustain the academy in order to produce more saleable assets is the investment I see ... far more logical than spending big money on transfer fees or wages.

I see little reason for crowds dropping off next season if we stay up this season. This was always going to be (a very rare) season of consolidation. Going back to August, I doubt there's a poster on this board, even Frank, who wouldn't have been happy with our current position at the end of January.

As for investment, I suspect that it will all depend on our own interpretations of what it means. Selling our best assets, and using that money to sustain the academy in order to produce more saleable assets is the investment I see ... far more logical than spending big money on transfer fees or wages.
Hughes so far looks the part. Goalkeeper. Not to sure about yet. Needs another season with us

I know this is digressing form the initial theme of the thread, but it's certainly fits with a wider definition of "good old days" ... some absolute heroes in this team.

Bloody'ell Moonay, the memories came flooding back watching that.
Does anyone else miss Springy?
The Premier League and Cup Finals were great, but I don't look back to them with the same fondness as some of the games at Springy.
May be I do with the Cup Final, but only just.

Bloody'ell Moonay, the memories came flooding back watching that.
Does anyone else miss Springy?
The Premier League and Cup Finals were great, but I don't look back to them with the same fondness as some of the games at Springy.
May be I do with the Cup Final, but only just.
I miss it very much. Before I passed my driving test I would walk from near the Brockett Arms the glow from the floodlights was magical, I was like a moth to a flame. When I had a car I would always park on the road facing Gidlow middle school, you would see the same faces week in week out. They always seemed to play Dreadlock Holiday over the PA system 😀 What makes me laugh is that at full time ( before the advent of mobile phones) there would be groups of men standing in front of the windows in the Avenues watching the football scores on tv, often the family would be sat in the lounge nobody seemed to care. Never saw them close the curtains.

I know this is digressing form the initial theme of the thread, but it's certainly fits with a wider definition of "good old days" ... some absolute heroes in this team.

Certainly does, sure some will know him, lad called Steve McCormack was mascot that day and I was on the tv, just before the ad break, at front of the crowd celebrating in front of Phoenix Stand after the game. Got Eamon O'Keefe's shirt from the game too

Home support at the DW this season has been pretty good TBF and compare very favourably with the majority of L1. Clearly, there are three clubs that are way above everyone else, but 7-8000 is good and probably represents the hard core who will be there next season and the season after.

The numbers have been poor this season but I expected it after last season's shambles on the pitch combined with it all kicking off in the summer, which has clearly hit our numbers badly. By the time it was sorted, lots of goodwill had been lost and folk weren't willing to buy season tickets having spent their cash elsewhere, who could blame them. My barometer is anything under 9000 home fans on a Saturday afternoon is piss poor and unlike in 2021-22 when we were regularly topping that figure, we're now consistently at least 500 below it, that's a problem!

Unfortunately I can't see it changing this summer for numerous reasons. If anything, I think numbers will drop further primarily due to the Saturday afternoon postponement farce that has dogged us all season. It's not financially logical for fans and families to get season tickets anymore when half the home fixtures are Tuesday 7.45 kickoffs. Also supporters will of course keep an eye on the club's transfer dealings. Doling out new contracts to Josh Magennis and selling all the young silver is not going to attract floaters out of the woodwork.

The numbers have been poor this season but I expected it after last season's shambles on the pitch combined with it all kicking off in the summer, which has clearly hit our numbers badly. By the time it was sorted, lots of goodwill had been lost and folk weren't willing to buy season tickets having spent their cash elsewhere, who could blame them. My barometer is anything under 9000 home fans on a Saturday afternoon is piss poor and unlike in 2021-22 when we were regularly topping that figure, we're now consistently at least 500 below it, that's a problem!

Unfortunately I can't see it changing this summer for numerous reasons. If anything, I think numbers will drop further primarily due to the Saturday afternoon postponement farce that has dogged us all season. It's not financially logical for fans and families to get season tickets anymore when half the home fixtures are Tuesday 7.45 kickoffs. Also supporters will of course keep an eye on the club's transfer dealings. Doling out new contracts to Josh Magennis and selling all the young silver is not going to attract floaters out of the woodwork.
The 7.45 Tues night winter games at the DW are awful. Can’t be much worse places to watch football on a cold freezing night. Than the DW

Last edited: