Difficult to Understand Rules | Vital Football

Difficult to Understand Rules

Therealwaldo

Vital Squad Member
Can someone help me here. I was confused on Friday night following the sending off of Harry Smith. I thought the rule now was that a player didn’t need to leave the field, even if the trainer had come on, when the injury resulted from either a yellow or red card offence. I checked the FA website and the wording seems to be as follows.

Exceptions to the requirement to leave the field of play are only when:

(There several examples and then this)
  • a player is injured as the result of a physical offence for which the opponent is cautioned or sent off (e.g. reckless or serious foul challenge), if the assessment/treatment is completed quickly
Now, Max was made to leave the play for the normal 30 seconds required. So was that because the treatment wasn’t completed quickly ? And if that is the rule, why ? And what counts as “quickly” ?

Is there an exception for goalkeepers?

I was quite amused by the prospect of the Sutton keeper having to spend 30 seconds on the touchline after he went down "hurt" with no one near him, but it didn't happen.

I was quite amused by the prospect of the Sutton keeper having to spend 30 seconds on the touchline after he went down "hurt" with no one near him, but it didn't happen.
Looked like the ball hit him somewhere painful as he stopped it. Had to smile to myself when the female physio went to administer!

Can someone help me here. I was confused on Friday night following the sending off of Harry Smith. I thought the rule now was that a player didn’t need to leave the field, even if the trainer had come on, when the injury resulted from either a yellow or red card offence. I checked the FA website and the wording seems to be as follows.

• a player is injured as the result of a physical offence for which the opponent is cautioned or sent off (e.g. reckless or serious foul challenge), if the assessment/treatment is completed quickly
Now, Max was made to leave the play for the normal 30 seconds required. So was that because the treatment wasn’t completed quickly ? And if that is the rule, why ? And what counts as “quickly” ?

I think the ref must have got it wrong, as almost every time a player gets a straight red card, it is after a bad foul that requires treatment.

It makes no logical sense to deprive the wronged team and reduce them to 10 men for 30 seconds. essentially rewarding the violent player's team.

Good spot, though.

Your assertion is correct.

I don't know the definition what "quickly" actually means though!

Yes there is an exception for:

Keepers.

Keeper injured with A N Other player

Two players of the same side injured together.

Page 61 IFAB LOTG.

Another rule question here.

Under what circumstances would Wrexham be allowed to make 6 subs? And at 5 separate times.

Maybe something to do with injury? Or has the ref stuffed up?

AB0BA0BC-3D53-4EF3-AE20-993ABC770721.jpeg

Another rule question here.

Under what circumstances would Wrexham be allowed to make 6 subs? And at 5 separate times.

Maybe something to do with injury? Or has the ref stuffed up?

View attachment 70755

I assume one of their changes was a forced substitution for concussion which doesn't count towards the 5 normally allowed. Supposed to stop managers keeping on concussed players due to a lack of subs left / reluctant to use a sub.

Although they seem to have made 4 substitution stops (allowing for the assumed concussion stop) which is one too many unless there were a couple of concussion stops.

Edit: Done a Google and it looks as if a couple of Barrow players left the pitch due to concussion (separate incidents). As Barrow got "free" substitution under concussion rules, then Wrexham also benefits from a couple of "free" substitutions as it might be considered unfair if Barrow is able to make 7 changes but Wrexham only 5.

Last edited: