The Official Crewe Alexandra Match Thread (Sponsored by BUPA "for all your medical needs") | Page 4 | Vital Football

The Official Crewe Alexandra Match Thread (Sponsored by BUPA "for all your medical needs")

Anyway I’m pissed off too just can’t be bothered with it any more, that’s what Evans sounded like too post match on Radio Kent. Surely only a matter of time before he’s gone.

Utterly miserable after that result.

Miserable position at the moment, watching this unfold. Do scholars count as being of ‘a professional standing’ if they play for Gills? Will we get a return from our more injury-prone players? After all, a small budget means we will rely more on these.

QUOTE from Steve Evans “The chairman has six seasons fighting relegation battles, I don’t leave my family three or four nights a week to fight relegation battles. We have to have a chance of winning games in league 1".
I think it is likely to come to a head by Monday Scally might change his mind and let Stevenage talk to Evans.If he genuinely doesn't want to fight the battle we are in then Scally must find someone who does.

“The chairman has six seasons fighting relegation battles, I don’t leave my family three or four nights a week to fight relegation battles. We have to have a chance of winning games in league 1".
I think it is likely to come to a head by Monday Scally might change his mind and let Stevenage talk to Evans.If he genuinely doesn't want to fight the battle we are in then Scally must find someone who does.
Steve, you’re not getting any more budget. Stop with your fucking strops. You know the position. It’s like he’s pissed after each match.

QUOTE from Steve Evans “The chairman has six seasons fighting relegation battles, I don’t leave my family three or four nights a week to fight relegation battles. We have to have a chance of winning games in league 1".
Apparently he hasn’t had a property locally since before lockdown. He even said on the radio he drives in everyday. He clearly does not leave his family 3-4 times a week

Apparently he hasn’t had a property locally since before lockdown. He even said on the radio he drives in everyday. He clearly does not leave his family 3-4 times a week
I did think that was the case. In his first season he referred to his flat on St Mary’s Island quite often, but since covid halted the season he hasn’t referenced it since. Last week he said something about leaving home at 530am to drive in so that suggests that he is commuting from his Peterborough home.
Stevenage makes a lot more sense for him in that regard.

For the vast majority of our history we've been in the bottom division. Ok, I know it was Div 3 Soith and North until about 1958 but we were almost always in the bottom half of that. We are a lower division team. The population of Medway barely give a shit about their local team (many, like me, travel long distances to support the team). Where do people expect us to be in the football pyramid?

Obviously we are struggling atm but no one has died, as far as I know. If we go down I'll still be going and it makes little difference to my feelings for the Gills.

UTG's

Perhaps he did at the time of the quote it was old statement. It is a little worrying if he genuinely drives four to five hours a day to get to and from Gillingham.If things are going well he might put up with it .If you are not getting results and cannot change the squad then perhaps it will be time to look closer to home.

I'm not a negative bedwetter, I'm a realist, if that pees you off, oh well.

As I have said on another thread, it's his team he chose the squad and must have known their medical history
Caryole has been a waste of space, as have a few others who are constantly injured.
I know players don't get purposely injured but some have a history of lengthy absences.
Evans needs to put up or shut up. Our club is more important than him or his reputation.

Oh do come on, this squad is better than pennocks ffs. Not enough of them, and they’re not fit enough, but clearly more talented.

Just to add that the Crewe commentators at half time we’re creaming about how much better they were today than previous weeks.

It could be worse spare a thought for Manchester United fans coming to terms with their result today.

ole will get the Spanish archer so he’ll get a massive pay off, then they’ll spend a fortune getting a big name in and let him Chuck money at the problem in January.

our problems seem harder to fix

Oh do come on, this squad is better than pennocks ffs. Not enough of them, and they’re not fit enough, but clearly more talented.

Just to add that the Crewe commentators at half time we’re creaming about how much better they were today than previous weeks.
🤣🤣🤣

A very depressing afternoon. Crewe poured through us at will for most of the game. We made them look really good! We made one chance from open play, but Akinde failed to beat their keeper one on one. He is so disappointing. Looking at it rationally, our biggest mistake was conceding early. It gave them a boost and left us trying to chase the game. On clear cut openings 2-0 flattered us. On another day with a bit of luck we may have sneaked a goal - we did strike the woodwork twice from corners - but mainly it was all huff and puff. I can't fault our centre backs or Phillips, who was my MoM by a country mile. Lintott looked decent too - at least he has the physique to compete. But overall, we simply lacked the quality to beat the side rooted at the bottom of the league. What does that say about us? Plenty of effort, but we looked like a team with a load of kids in it - and likely to be relegated. Our only hope is that several of our first teamers are fit again very soon.

If a player leaves in January can we replace him with a player on a one year deal?Or does any deal have to expire at the end of the season?

Well i`m not pissed off about today. Of course, i`d be happier if we had won the game or even grabbed a point - but, our team on the pitch, despite the rumblings about SE, despite some negative press, despite the Scally is a C*** and associated chants from some of the SOT`s, flipping well gave their all !!!!!

We had several guys playing out of position today - three of the starting four midfielders were defensive midfielders, who usually play just in front of the back four; and the others were lads asked to do a job in place of a number of injured regulars. Not forgetting that some of the guys today may also have been carrying injuries. Our youngsters played really well and each put in "mens" performances.

I`m not going to mention too much about the actual game - IMO we were a little untidy in defense at times but we were also very unlucky with a couple of efforts that hit woodwork. In the first half Crewe`s #7 (Long) was in great form and he constantly troubled our left side. The second half was more of a holding game from Crewe and i`m not sure they really deserved to grab a second - don`t think they were two goals better than us.

Performance-wise - there can only be one MOM for the Gills - Daniel Phillips - he had an excellent game. Actually, Adshead & Cumming both played well so it was a good showing by the loan guys.

One "benefit" of the recent troubles is that we`ve been able to have a closer, longer look at some of the lads waiting in the wings. Sithole has bags of energy and was putting himself about and back-tracking all game long; Akehurst has been good in his recent games, but did struggle a bit today. Lintott, who has been my "pick of the bunch" since day one, had a decent outing today. What I really like about him is his composure. He has that Jack Tucker like calmness under pressure and, IMO, he really looks the part. I hope that he remains in the side - Jacko really does need to be looking over his shoulder - especially as young Harvey looks defensively sound as well as capable of getting into good attacking positions from the right side of the pitch. My first look at 16yr old Joseph Gbode - He certainly doesn`t look 16 ! He has a man`s frame and, like Harvey Lintott, has a very athletic, strong look about him.

Good to see Carayol back on the pitch - the bloke`s quality. If we can mend all the wounded, we actually have a pretty decent team.

I`m not in the mood to be giving up just yet and, judging by their gritty industry today, the team certainly isn`t. UTG....

Well i`m not pissed off about today. Of course, i`d be happier if we had won the game or even grabbed a point - but, our team on the pitch, despite the rumblings about SE, despite some negative press, despite the Scally is a C*** and associated chants from some of the SOT`s, flipping well gave their all !!!!!

We had several guys playing out of position today - three of the starting four midfielders were defensive midfielders, who usually play just in front of the back four; and the others were lads asked to do a job in place of a number of injured regulars. Not forgetting that some of the guys today may also have been carrying injuries. Our youngsters played really well and each put in "mens" performances.

I`m not going to mention too much about the actual game - IMO we were a little untidy in defense at times but we were also very unlucky with a couple of efforts that hit woodwork. In the first half Crewe`s #7 (Long) was in great form and he constantly troubled our left side. The second half was more of a holding game from Crewe and i`m not sure they really deserved to grab a second - don`t think they were two goals better than us.

Performance-wise - there can only be one MOM for the Gills - Daniel Phillips - he had an excellent game. Actually, Adshead & Cumming both played well so it was a good showing by the loan guys.

One "benefit" of the recent troubles is that we`ve been able to have a closer, longer look at some of the lads waiting in the wings. Sithole has bags of energy and was putting himself about and back-tracking all game long; Akehurst has been good in his recent games, but did struggle a bit today. Lintott, who has been my "pick of the bunch" since day one, had a decent outing today. What I really like about him is his composure. He has that Jack Tucker like calmness under pressure and, IMO, he really looks the part. I hope that he remains in the side - Jacko really does need to be looking over his shoulder - especially as young Harvey looks defensively sound as well as capable of getting into good attacking positions from the right side of the pitch. My first look at 16yr old Joseph Gbode - He certainly doesn`t look 16 ! He has a man`s frame and, like Harvey Lintott, has a very athletic, strong look about him.

Good to see Carayol back on the pitch - the bloke`s quality. If we can mend all the wounded, we actually have a pretty decent team.

I`m not in the mood to be giving up just yet and, judging by their gritty industry today, the team certainly isn`t. UTG....
Thanks for that LancsGordoRoad certainly a few pluses there.Can you tell did Jackson play at left back when Akehurst was substituted?