The Official Doncaster Rovers Match Thread (Sponsored by Nothing "Because I Just CBA") | Page 5 | Vital Football

The Official Doncaster Rovers Match Thread (Sponsored by Nothing "Because I Just CBA")

Another Gills` game of two halves, but very pleasing, plus vitally important, to get the three points. Agree with Chris about Adshead; he slots in very well at the foot of the diamond and his presence there enables Tucker to get back where he belongs.

Nice to see Lloyd continue his positive displays - he`s been a pleasant surprise and has well and truly earned his place in the starting line-up.

Watched on iFollow so the commentary wasn`t a vital ingredient. However, at HT I switched to the Donny commentary and must say they were miles superior to the R/Kent offering. As Shotshy alluded, they were fair in their opinions and also more knowledgeable about our players than the Kent chap was about theirs.

Good day at the office, Gills. Onto Bolton - could be a good time to play them as their confidence is slipping.

You don't think he's interfering with play?

As the corner's taken, yes, but he's not offside as the corner's taken. After Oliver's header, no, I don't think he's in any way interfering with play (leaving aside for one moment the old comment of "If you're not interfering with play, what the hell are you doing on the pitch"). He doesn't touch the ball, he's not stopping the keeper or defender from getting to it, he's not in the keeper's line of sight.

SteveTreacle - the BBC stats gave it as equal (which I agree with) but the stats that came up on IFollow at the end of the game (which I now cannot find) had it as one way traffic in favor of Doncaster. Just seemed a bit odd :shrug:

That is where the xG rating sometimes gives a more accurate indication than simply shots on/off target. Alas we are too low level for the media to bother with putting up.

It is good to see O'Keefe really getting involved in the opposition six yard box.If it frees up our forwards and central defenders to try to get their head or foot to our corners.The referee seemed a bit of a odd one last night. I think some might have acted to stop O'Keefe bullying the opposition. But this referee was at least fairly consistent in allowing a fair amount of physical contact. Not sure if there was any at all before the goal .But the keeper could have felt something and went down in expectation.Because O'Keefe was behind him it could be that it was the defender who got so worked up by O'Keefe that he was the one who made contact with his own keeper.

Another Gills` game of two halves, but very pleasing, plus vitally important, to get the three points. Agree with Chris about Adshead; he slots in very well at the foot of the diamond and his presence there enables Tucker to get back where he belongs.

Nice to see Lloyd continue his positive displays - he`s been a pleasant surprise and has well and truly earned his place in the starting line-up.

Watched on iFollow so the commentary wasn`t a vital ingredient. However, at HT I switched to the Donny commentary and must say they were miles superior to the R/Kent offering. As Shotshy alluded, they were fair in their opinions and also more knowledgeable about our players than the Kent chap was about theirs.

Good day at the office, Gills. Onto Bolton - could be a good time to play them as their confidence is slipping.
I really enjoyed the Donny commentary Lancs.
Both were very knowledgable and very fair in appraisal.
There was no cutting to other matches which made a nice change.
Proper tell it how it is northern honesty.
I might give the away commentary a go on our next Tuesday night match. (Dare one say)

I really enjoyed the Donny commentary Lancs.
Both were very knowledgable and very fair in appraisal.
There was no cutting to other matches which made a nice change.
Proper tell it how it is northern honesty.
I might give the away commentary a go on our next Tuesday night match. (Dare one say)
I find it 6 and two 3's

I didn’t think their goalie was complaining about an offside but a foul from O’Keefe, you can clearly see O’Keefe nudges him as the ball is crossed in, this may have been enough to put him off and he makes a hash of trying to save Vadaine’s header and deflects it into his own net:

I didn’t think their goalie was complaining about an offside but a foul from O’Keefe, you can clearly see O’Keefe nudges him as the ball is crossed in, this may have been enough to put him off and he makes a hash of trying to save Vadaine’s header and deflects it into his own net:
I wonder whether the keeper was pulled over too? His movements don't seem very natural.

It is the keeper and defenders fault though - the keeper should have cleared O'Keefe away before the corner, and the defender should have protected his keeper. You don't see these goals in the premiership

I don't think O'Keefe nudges him. He moves across towards him, but there doesn't appear to be any kind of push. If there was, not sure it'd make sense for the keeper to fall towards O'Keefe, if he'd just had a nudge, it'd make more sense for him to be falling away from O'Keefe. Which would make ThreeSixes' theory of him being pulled over more likely, I'd say. Looking at it again, does O'Keefe possibly have his left arm across the keeper, pulling him over?

I don't think O'Keefe nudges him. He moves across towards him, but there doesn't appear to be any kind of push. If there was, not sure it'd make sense for the keeper to fall towards O'Keefe, if he'd just had a nudge, it'd make more sense for him to be falling away from O'Keefe. Which would make ThreeSixes' theory of him being pulled over more likely, I'd say. Looking at it again, does O'Keefe possibly have his left arm across the keeper, pulling him over?
Yes possibly a pull after but I think he nudges with the shoulder initially to get in front of him/impede him. One of those where VAR may have given a foul after but hard to see on first look, still it was a very good cross from Lloyd and Oliver connected with it well.

I'm terms of the goal most keepers look for someone to blame after conceding 😉 the ref copped it this time.

On the 2 or 3 corners prior there was a lot of "interference" from various gills players. Couple of times ref blowed up for it. I suspect the keeper was still rattled from that. Maybe that was all part of the plan.

I'm terms of the goal most keepers look for someone to blame after conceding 😉 the ref copped it this time.

On the 2 or 3 corners prior there was a lot of "interference" from various gills players. Couple of times ref blowed up for it. I suspect the keeper was still rattled from that. Maybe that was all part of the plan.
True.
The Glentoran keeper punched his midfielder 😂

I'm not sure O'Keefe does nudge him. If you zoom in and watch the slow replay, the defender seems to put his arm around O'Keefe's stomach as he stepped forward and tried to maneuvour Stuart out of the way. If there was any pushing and shuffing then it was between Stuart and the defender.

Interestingly enough the keeper was diving to his right while the ball went past his left side. If anything, if O'Keefe wasn't there then the keeper would have been diving even more in the wrong direction.

Thoughts on last night

It was a strange atmosphere walking to the ground. Very few people walking to the ground and if the lights hadn't been on I would have questioned if I'd got the right date.

It was clearly going to be a low crowd but the sight of stewards standing in the steps around blocks three and four (RE) was a bit strange and oppresive. I wouldn't have been happy if my view was blocked by a bright yellow jacket.

I sit in block 5 so can't really see what happens in block 1 (either Saturday or last night). I've read that prior to KO Scally and the barmaid/bar manager were pointing out people for the stewards to eject. Presumably related to the Factory in Saturday then.

I've said all along that I don't agree with people acting aggressively and spoiling other peoples enjoyment. No place for that in society or GFC. If they had been then no sympathy from me and they should be banned.

I'm not sure shouting Scally out meets that criteria though. So, if (and I have no idea) if people have been thrown out for that then its wrong.

Bloke (not seen him before) in my block was eventually picked out by a steward (after walking up and down the steps a few times trying to find a man who fitted the descriptions in his ear piece) was also taken away. Someone else in injury time.

I know many of you are focussed on what Perry posts on the facebook site. Read some of the others. There are a few balanced posts from others on there. A number of people posting how something feels broken and whether Scallys actions are helping fix it or make it worse. That's a good question and I don't know the answer.

There is a post from someone who used to post on the old board, a very sensible poster. He openly admits that he stopped being a season ticket holder few years ago and is now enjoying the non league scene but he comes to Gills occasionally (you never forget your first love). He comments on how at non league you are made very welcome and at Gills you are not.

Is that what you meant by strange atmosphere LSB2 ?

I said the other day we may need to go through more pain before healing. Scally has decided to go after people and ban them. As I've said if they were aggressive then that's spot on. If its for chanting scally out - that's not.

I have said the only likely resolution to this is for the scally outers to walk away. Many scally supporters and the not really bothered will want that to. There were 3,500 Gills fans there last night. The silent "outers" or the not bothered of unknown number may start to decide that's for them as well. Particularly if we are unsuccessful on the pitch.

Can the club survive on gates of 3500 ? We might find out.

We can all have views on Scally but whether his approach will heal or make things worse remains to be seen. Generally speaking no good comes when fans and club are divided. Lets hope the healing begins soon because it seems he's chosen a path to go down.

Last edited:
Interesting how all of them claim they weren't aggressive or using abusive language :unsure:

Unless anyone on this board was a witness i.e. in the Factory then we will never know

I did see a mobile phone clip on social media this morning (but can't find it now). It was a short clip, and you don't know what went on before. The clip showed a bar maid walk up to a Gillingham supporter who was just standing there and say "you can F%$K off as well" or something like that.

Not very professional - although as I say you don't see what went on before.

Not been to the Factory this season - probably used it 5 or 6 games a season previously. Not sure I will now.

Thoughts on last night

It was a strange atmosphere walking to the ground. Very few people walking to the ground and if the lights hadn't been on I would have questioned if I'd got the right date.

It was clearly going to be a low crowd but the sight of stewards standing in the steps around blocks three and four (RE) was a bit strange and oppresive. I wouldn't have been happy if my view was blocked by a bright yellow jacket.

I sit in block 5 so can't really see what happens in block 1 (either Saturday or last night). I've read that prior to KO Scally and the barmaid/bar manager were pointing out people for the stewards to eject. Presumably related to the Factory in Saturday then.

I've said all along that I don't agree with people acting aggressively and spoiling other peoples enjoyment. No place for that in society or GFC. If they had been then no sympathy from me and they should be banned.

I'm not sure shouting Scally out meets that criteria though. So, if (and I have no idea) if people have been thrown out for that then its wrong.

Bloke (not seen him before) in my block was eventually picked out by a steward (after walking up and down the steps a few times trying to find a man who fitted the descriptions in his ear piece) was also taken away. Someone else in injury time.

I know many of you are focussed on what Perry posts on the facebook site. Read some of the others. There are a few balanced posts from others on there. A number of people posting how something feels broken and whether Scallys actions are helping fix it or make it worse. That's a good question and I don't know the answer.

There is a post from someone who used to post on the old board, a very sensible poster. He openly admits that he stopped being a season ticket holder few years ago and is now enjoying the non league scene but he comes to Gills occasionally (you never forget your first love). He comments on how at non league you are made very welcome and at Gills you are not.

Is that what you meant by strange atmosphere LSB2 ?

I said the other day we may need to go through more pain before healing. Scally has decided to go after people and ban them. As I've said if they were aggressive then that's spot on. If its for chanting scally out - that's not.

I have said the only likely resolution to this is for the scally outers to walk away. Many scally supporters and the not really bothered will want that to. There were 3,500 Gills fans there last night. The silent "outers" or the not bothered of unknown number may start to decide that's for them as well. Particularly if we are unsuccessful on the pitch.

Can the club survive on gates of 3500 ? We might find out.

We can all have views on Scally but whether his approach will heal or make things worse remains to be seen. Generally speaking no good comes when fans and club are divided. Lets hope the healing begins soon because it seems he's chosen a path to go down.

Yeah, that's what I meant about the strange atmosphere. Before the game it was really quiet, even when the team came out. I'm Block 3, but next to the steps, so just the right side. I found the steward standing on the steps really oppressive. He was blocking people going up and down, and even when he saw them coming, they still had to ask him to move. I hope last night was a one off with that type of stewarding. It felt that it was awkward to sing, and the crowd never got going. I like to lose my voice with singing, and didn't last night for the first time this season. As I said before, one of the reasons I enjoyed going to The Gills is the singing. I don't care much about Scally, I never have about who's the director of our club. I was there enjoying our games before he was here, and will be there long after he goes. I'm there to support the team I love, and care about the players on the pitch, and that's it.

I was sitting next to this bloke last night in my usual seat. I wasn't at the game on Saturday (had an enforced period of absence since the first game of the season due to a rock climbing accident) so can't comment on his behaviour then but he always sits in the same section of block 1 as me and he has form. He was one of the Gill's fans who tried getting into it with the Lincoln players in the first game of the season, if you watch that clip he can clearly be seen running over from block 1 to unnecessarily get involved. The season before last he got ejected for drunkenly attempting to start a fight with the metal handrails running up the side of the steps, I kid you not, he was punching seven shades out of them!!!!!! I've seen him verbally abuse fellow Gills fans on a few occasions which is never right. I'm not going to express an opinion on him, it's not my style but thought you might all be interested in some context. UTG